Confirmed Buy-Out [DET] Frans Nielsen

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Red Wings trade Datsyuk's contract to fall back in ghe draft and miss Chychrun, Fabro and Stanley to get Cholowski and use that cap space to sign Frans Nielsen. Thank you Ken Fn Holland.
Classic Kenny. He was too used to being surprised by Hakan's picks and being able to buy whatever Free Agents he wanted. I remember he made the promise that he was going to retire when Lidstrom did. Poor guy should have.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Red Wings trade Datsyuk's contract to fall back in ghe draft and miss Chychrun, Fabro and Stanley to get Cholowski and use that cap space to sign Frans Nielsen. Thank you Ken Fn Holland.

And he got Hronek with that extra pick, when he trades down and "misses Chychrun for Cholowski". Also missing Fabbro or Stanley is very questionable miss, if you get Hronek with that deal.

Better story to be told without that.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
And he got Hronek with that extra pick, when he trades down and "misses Chychrun for Cholowski". Also missing Fabbro or Stanley is very questionable miss, if you get Hronek with that deal.

Better story to be told without that.
Such BS. More Kenny brainwashing of the fans. The old trade back and hope. If you can't be good be lucky. Hronek was luck. If they thought he was so good they would have taken him with one of their first two picks. They still could have taken him and Chychrun. I'd prefer my team rely on actual scouting than luck. Glad you enjoyed that Nielsen contract too.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Boy, after Brad Stuart...., Ken Holland really fumbled things in attempt to hang on for dear life. (Looking back at Ken Holland’s history in free agency)
  • 2013: Stephen Weiss, five years, $24,000,000.
  • 2015: Brad Richards, one year, $4,000,000.
  • 2016: Frans Nielsen, six years, $31,500,000.
  • 2016: Mike Green, three years, $18,000,000.
  • 2016: Thomas Vanek, one year, 2,600,000.
  • 2017: Trevor Daley, three years, $9,500,000.
  • 2018: Thomas Vanek, one year, $3,000,000.
Wait, Richards played for the Wings ? Guess he had an amazing impact

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Holland did an amazing thing converting the pre-cap Red Wings into the post-cap Red Wings while keeping the Wings at the top of the league. But he didn't seem to learn any lessons from his accomplishment.

He was able to play to keep Lidstrom and Datsyuk all the others because he signed bargain basement NHLers looking to go anywhere that would take him.
Cleary.
Lilja.
Osgood.
Samuelsson.
He signed cheap young depth (Lebda). He used youngsters like Kronwall and Filppula and Hudler and Franzen.
All that cheap depth allowed him to keep the elite talent around.

He let fairly entrenched guys like Lang and Schneider walk.
He replaced Schneider with an upgrade in Rafalski.

But what Holland never seemed to realize that 3 cheap depth players allows you to keep the elite talent around.
And instead of letting decent depth players walk, he overpaid them.
And this trend just kept getting worse and worse and worse and worse.

The sad thing is, I remember an interview with him from the late 2000s where he talked about copying the Patriots model and he said "pay to keep your star players, don't overpay for your role players and be prepared to let them walk"

Alas he forgot this - or more likely ownership forced his hand with their desire to keep the playoff streak going

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
he's that bad eh. Didnt even want him around with very little savings which they dont even need likely this year
Looks more like Yzer doing him a solid rather than playing on the fourth line or in the press box.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Same with Alfredsson and Legwand

Afredsson actually looked pretty good in his time with the Wings. It just happened in a season when Zetterberg was injured for half of it. It's too bad we didn't get him until his final season in the league.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Afredsson actually looked pretty good in his time with the Wings. It just happened in a season when Zetterberg was injured for half of it. It's too bad we didn't get him until his final season in the league.
Yeah...was a bad year for that. He also kind of started off well and then kind of disappeared. I just expected him to be able to carry a line a bit better than he did. And at least his was just a 1-year UFA deal and not like some of the other deals.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah...was a bad year for that. He also kind of started off well and then kind of disappeared. I just expected him to be able to carry a line a bit better than he did. And at least his was just a 1-year UFA deal and not like some of the other deals.

I mean, he was pretty old. And his production tapered off around the same time that Zetterberg was injured.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Classic Kenny. He was too used to being surprised by Hakan's picks and being able to buy whatever Free Agents he wanted. I remember he made the promise that he was going to retire when Lidstrom did. Poor guy should have.
I didnt mind the trade back strategy so much when the Wings we a deep, contending team and they just wanted/ needed to get one player out of the draft as Holland put it. I'll ignore that strategy also lead to draft decisions like Sheehan over Kuznetsov for now. But by this time the team and prospect pipeline were pretty dry of high end talent now that the 2011 draft was officially a giant bust. The team needed to have QUALITY player in the draft to start rebuilding. They needed to use their scouts for What They pay them to do, evaluate the talent and take the best player available. If the scouts thought Chychrun, Fabro, Stanley and Cholo were all about the same then fire every single scout you have.

It was time to start the rebuild not hang on by your finger tips.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
24 career playoff games in a career of over 900 regular season games for a 37 year old. That seems hard to do.

Even Taylor Hall has him beat with 25 playoff games.

Those Isles teams he was on during the first part of his career were really bad teams. They didn’t start making playoffs towards the end of his tenure there lol.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
The last "streak" of Ken Holland blunders is finally off the books. 31.5 mil for 6 years for a team that he refused to believe/admit was trending downwards.
I'm not a Wings fan but I think taking the stance of continuing the playoff streak as justifiable.

The particular moves he made, however, are not justifiable. And it was pretty clear then and increasingly clear now in Edmonton that he is not capable of being a GM in the modern salary cap era.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
I'm not a Wings fan but I think taking the stance of continuing the playoff streak as justifiable.

The particular moves he made, however, are not justifiable. And it was pretty clear then and increasingly clear now in Edmonton that he is not capable of being a GM in the modern salary cap era.

The problem I had with the entire thing was, he did this mess. Signed people trying to hang on. And then in the last couple years of Lidstrom/First year of the new stadium. He did NOTHING. It was just baffling.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Paying Frans $500k instead of $3m is a favor?

Your math isn't quite right

Frans got a $1.5M signing bonus on July 1st / this year's covid version of July 1st (not sure if those dates changed?) so he was only owed $1.5M for the duration of the season.

A buyout for a player of Nielsen's age necessitates the player receive 2/3 of the remaining salary, so he will receive $1M of the remaining $1.5M he was contractually signed up for.

At this juncture, Nielsen can either PTO/ sign an NHL minimum contract if any club wants him, or he can go back to Europe (read: closer to home.) All of these situations likely mean he will make more than $500k, and potentially if he is in Europe he could actually move the needle in a game, depending on which league he is playing in.

It might not be some sort of humanitarian act done by Yzerman, but it probably works out better for Frans Nielsen overall.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Really want Bobby Ryan back, haven’t heard a peep out of him or his camp so I’m seriously wondering if he’s pondering retirement
Why though? Ryan started out great but his production fell off a cliff the final 3/4 of the season. He has 4 goals in the first 3 games, and 3 goals in the last 30 games. He was not good for us at all.

Bobby Ryan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad