Confirmed Buy-Out [DET] Frans Nielsen

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If Lou called me, I’d be scared to say no to him too

Was an allusion to when Frans left. Snow was focusing on trying to sign Stamkos and kind of ignored contract negotiations. Nielsen was quoted as he never thought he would leave the Islanders, but he never heard anything and then Detroit called. He said that when Detroit calls, you listen. Now the roles are reversed and the Isles are the more successful team.

Reactions: elitepete

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Was an allusion to when Frans left. Snow was focusing on trying to sign Stamkos and kind of ignored contract negotiations. Nielsen was quoted as he never thought he would leave the Islanders, but he never heard anything and then Detroit called. He said that when Detroit calls, you listen. Now the roles are reversed and the Isles are the more successful team.
With Snow gone, happier days are here. Snow and Weight gifted us Ladd on their way out.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Wonder what its like to be so unwanted that someones pays 5 million freedombucks to get rid of you

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Yzerman wants Detroit to be a better destination for players to want to go to. By doing this he's giving Nielsen a chance to play somewhere else rather than just burying him in the minors. Players will notice and respect that. It's really that simple.

Holy Slapshot

Feb 16, 2012
Icy Cold Catacombs
Great little move from Yzerman. Saves few bucks, opens roster spot for young talent and prevents veteran player from being waived and eventually scratched even in the AHL... So he can continue to play elsewhere or retire with dignity. Nice.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yzerman wants Detroit to be a better destination for players to want to go to. By doing this he's giving Nielsen a chance to play somewhere else rather than just burying him in the minors. Players will notice and respect that. It's really that simple.

I loved Frans when he was an isle. Hard working,modest.

It will be interesting to see if he returns to Europe to play or if he and his reps, try to get him a PTO with an NHL team.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think Nielsen works as a depth center, because he is not good on faceoffs. I speculate he's off to Europe, maybe back to Malmo.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

No, he’s being bought out because he’s had the worst work ethic in Detroit and he’s not a good locker room guy. Team got bad and Nielsen tuned out

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
No, he’s being bought out because he’s had the worst work ethic in Detroit and he’s not a good locker room guy. Team got bad and Nielsen tuned out

Not a fan of Nielsen and thought the contract would play out like it did. A couple decent years before absolutely sucking, and a buyout.
But I wouldn't say Nielsen had bad work ethic. He was limited, not lazy.
And not a locker room guy? No way for me to know this.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I guess they do save a bit of money and it's not like they are tight for cap space. Another parting gift from Holland gone.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Not a fan of Nielsen and thought the contract would play out like it did. A couple decent years before absolutely sucking, and a buyout.
But I wouldn't say Nielsen had bad work ethic. He was limited, not lazy.
And not a locker room guy? No way for me to know this.

He was loved by teammates on NYI, but personality-fit is important. What works somewhere doesn't necessarily work somewhere else.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Detroit has set themselves up for a lot of cap flexibility in the coming years. Only two contracts over 2 years long (both of them are 3 years long). Once the prospects begin to break out Detroit will have the cap to surround them with talent

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Patrick Marleau has played 195 playoff games and has zero cups. Ron Hainsey didn't play a playoff game until 36 and won the cup that year.
I had no idea Hainsey went that long without a single playoff game. Crazy.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It's surprising to see how poorly things turned out for the mid-2010's Red Wings after Holland gave 5+ year deals to all of Abdelkaeder, DeKeyser, Ericsson, Helm, and Nielsen. What a head scratcher.
There was no drive left at the top of the organization to ice a winning team. The ownership was hellbent on winning a world series before Illitch died and were content to keep the playoff streak going by squeaking in until the new arena was built on the Wings side of things. Holland without a spur in his ass or being surrounded by guys like Bowman and Jimmy Devellano sucks ass as a GM.

Reactions: shadow1

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
There was no drive left at the top of the organization to ice a winning team. The ownership was hellbent on winning a world series before Illitch died and were content to keep the playoff streak going by squeaking in until the new arena was built on the Wings side of things. Holland without a spur in his ass or being surrounded by guys like Bowman and Jimmy Devellano sucks ass as a GM.

Holland did an amazing thing converting the pre-cap Red Wings into the post-cap Red Wings while keeping the Wings at the top of the league. But he didn't seem to learn any lessons from his accomplishment.

He was able to play to keep Lidstrom and Datsyuk all the others because he signed bargain basement NHLers looking to go anywhere that would take him.
Cleary.
Lilja.
Osgood.
Samuelsson.
He signed cheap young depth (Lebda). He used youngsters like Kronwall and Filppula and Hudler and Franzen.
All that cheap depth allowed him to keep the elite talent around.

He let fairly entrenched guys like Lang and Schneider walk.
He replaced Schneider with an upgrade in Rafalski.

But what Holland never seemed to realize that 3 cheap depth players allows you to keep the elite talent around.
And instead of letting decent depth players walk, he overpaid them.
And this trend just kept getting worse and worse and worse and worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad