Confirmed Trade: [DET/EDM] Mike Green (50% retained) for Kyle Brodziak + cond. 2020 4th round pick

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Pretty much for free.

Green's career really got derailed by injuries. He was terrific at one time. Guessing this goes really well or really poorly.
Either way doesn’t really matter, like you said he is essentially free, and we already have 3RD ahead of him on the depth chart in Larsson, Bear,Benning.

Holland has said multiple times that he wants to add a forward, and many think we might be moving out a D to get one, as the little cap space we have shouldn’t be spent on D...

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Over the last four years, Green's PP P/60 is 3.25.

That's 104th among defencemen that have played more than 100 games.

Kris Russell's is 3.14 over that stretch.

I'm not really sure why Edmonton acquired him yet, but I can confidently say it wasn't to help an already spectacular powerplay.
Over the last four years, DRW are #31 on the PP (16.3%).

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Meh. This trade isn't going to do much for the Oilers other than add 3rd pairing depth to the defense and at a +/- of -32 not great depth either.
I hope Holland has better cards up his sleeve than a 34 year old has been d-man.

Reactions: phillipmatchett

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Really glad that Stevie was able to get anything for him. Good deal for both sides.
So what you are saying is that Green isn't worth anything and to get something is a good deal for the Wings. How can paying something for a player who isn't worth anything be a good deal for the Oilers?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
So what you are saying is that Green isn't worth anything and to get something is a good deal for the Wings. How can paying something for a player who isn't worth anything be a good deal for the Oilers?

Because they gave up very little value for a guy who COULD be good for them.
It's a gamble, and sometimes gambles pay off.

Reactions: The Red Line

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
if im holland i offer the 1st + for athanasou and glendenny an i instantly get way better for at minimum 2 years . then sign aa long term . plus glennys a great leader by example

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Green should do fine enough on Edmonton’s second, or preferably third pairing with second pp unit time.

He’ll definitely be on the 3rd pairing. Bear and Larsson are ahead of him for sure. He’ll be competing with Benning for the third pairing RHD.

He’ll probably get some PP minutes for sure, doesn’t hurt to add a right handed shot to the #1 ranked PP in the NHL.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
and Green did nothing to help it...
There are 5 players and a few coaches involved in every single Power Play. I'd love to see you quantify exactly what Mike Green's effect was. Would it have been 1% better without him? 5% worse? Please be specific.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He was worth nothing to the Wings for the remainder of this season. You realize that a player's value is relative to the team for which he plays...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Green = McDavid, Nabob conformed.

CO, you’re getting worked up over such a low buy asset.

He’s got an excellent shot and he can execute a breakout, he’s a decent passer. It’s a buy low 3rd pairing limited role PP insurance player.

Adding depth D men going into a playoff run is a smart move.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kind of a nothing deal for both sides. Glad we got anything out of him before his contract expired.

Good luck EDM I hope Green's able to find a new gear on a more energized team and a more reduced role. Go deep and tear it up.

Holland can't be done yet.

Get used to plugging leaks and calling it a day. That is how Holland rolls.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad