Proposal: DET-COL

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I don’t think there’s a deal to be made.

I wouldn’t trade Newhook, or Byram for Mantha and Detroit probably isn’t moving him for anything less than one of those players.

Pretty much.

Detroit's in a position where they'd better off trading Mantha and something to get a U23 elite level player, than trading Mantha alone to get a couple smaller pieces.

... And teams don't line up to trade U23 elite level players.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don’t think there’s a deal to be made.

I wouldn’t trade Newhook, or Byram for Mantha and Detroit probably isn’t moving him for anything less than one of those players.

Yeah, we have the depth coming up with Rasmussen, Veleno, etc. We’ll likely get a star player in this draft but still need a few more.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To Detroit: Samuel Girard

To Colorado: Andreas Athanasiou

Detroit does it as they could use an offensive LHD to run a PP and Colorado has a surplus of offensive dman (Makar, Timmins, Byram).

Decent or nah?

Let me fix this trade for you. Girardo for Athanasiou + Detroit's 2020 2nd round pick at 32 and Detroit's 2021 unprotected 1st round pick. Now we're talking apples to apples for a deal the Avs listen to.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I asked the Detorit Rad Wangs and they weren't interested.

I took the Red Wing fan's advise and turned it back on them. Give up something that hurts and go from there. Detroit doesn't have a single player in their organization that gets one of the top affiliated players in the NHL (Byram). So the Avs will take their most prized possession to make it a fair trade that hurts both sides.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I took the Red Wing fan's advise and turned it back on them. Give up something that hurts and go from there. Detroit doesn't have a single player in their organization that gets one of the top affiliated players in the NHL (Byram). So the Avs will take their most prized possession to make it a fair trade that hurts both sides.

Funny part?

Seider has looked better than Byram since the draft.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Funny part?

Seider has looked better than Byram since the draft.

No, he hasn't, but Seider did fine in the AHL. Velano and Filip Zadina... now that's another story. Those guys didn't take steps forward in year 2 of their NHL journey.

But it looks like Detroit did well for themselves with Seider so congrats on that pick. He's your best prospect IMO.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
No, he hasn't, but Seider did fine in the AHL. Velano and Filip Zadina... now that's another story. Those guys didn't take steps forward in year 2 of their NHL journey.

But it looks like Detroit did well for themselves with Seider so congrats on that pick. He's your best prospect IMO.

Uhh, both Seider and Byram look really good but it's hard to argue against Seider looking better currently. Had a better WJC and shushed a lot of the no offense talk in the AHL, as opposed to Byram producing at a slower rate this year than he did last year in junior.

Don't know who Velano is, and don't know what the hell you've been watching if you don't think Zadina is taking steps forward.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Uhh, both Seider and Byram look really good but it's hard to argue against Seider looking better currently. Had a better WJC and shushed a lot of the no offense talk in the AHL, as opposed to Byram producing at a slower rate this year than he did last year in junior.

Don't know who Velano is, and don't know what the hell you've been watching if you don't think Zadina is taking steps forward.
Pretty sure it’s a troll account based on the content of the posts and join date of the account.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Uhh, both Seider and Byram look really good but it's hard to argue against Seider looking better currently. Had a better WJC and shushed a lot of the no offense talk in the AHL, as opposed to Byram producing at a slower rate this year than he did last year.

Byram won the WJC as Canada's top defender. Playing the most minutes of any of their defenders, their top PK defender as well. Most of his defensive mates were a full year older and 2018 draft picks no less. Byram had a great WJCs and a great season in Vancouver averaging over 1 PPG on a worse team than he had the prior year. By all accounts, he made significant advances in his defensive work, the goal the Avs had for his season in Vancouver and why he was elevated to Canada's #1 defender during the WJC as it played out. Hockey Future named him their #1 affiliated prospect for whatever that is worth, which isn't nothing given those guys scout a hell of a lot more than you and I.

Don't be grammar police. Veleno and his year 2 was blah. Zadina doesn't look as good in the NHL as he did leading up to his draft that had so many excited about him. He was over hyped. Seider is your best prospect. A dang good one. Byram is better.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Byram won the WJC as Canada's top defender. Playing the most minutes of any of their defenders, their top PK defender as well. Most of his defensive mates were a full year older and 2018 draft picks no less. Byram had a great WJCs and a great season in Vancouver averaging over 1 PPG on a worse team than he had the prior year. By all accounts, he made significant advances in his defensive work, the goal the Avs had for his season in Vancouver and why he was elevated to Canada's #1 defender during the WJC as it played out.

Don't be grammar police. Veleno and his year 2 was blah. Zadina doesn't look as good in the NHL as he did leading up to his draft that had so many excited about him. He was over hyped. Seider is your best prospect. A dang good one. Byram is better.

Byram can be Canada's top defender all he wants, he wasn't even top 3 in the tournament.

Also, misspelling a name is a spelling error, not a grammar error, and thank you for verifying that you haven't watched Zadina at all this season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Byram can be Canada's top defender all he wants, he wasn't even top 3 in the tournament.

Also, misspelling a name is a spelling error, not a grammar error, and thank you for verifying that you haven't watched Zadina at all this season.

What is obvious is you didn't watch Byram play this season. Probably read some stat lines, did some cherry picking and made up your own thesis on the kid to fit your bias. Those more informed than you or I were impressed by Byram's post draft progression as a more well rounded defender vs offense first Dman. I'll be the first to admin the feedback on Sieder was also very positive.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
What is obvious is you didn't watch Byram play this season. Probably read some stat lines, did some cherry picking and made up your own thesis on the kid to fit your bias. Those with more informed understand than you or I were impressed by Byram's post draft progression as a more well rounded defender vs offense first defense man. I'll be the first to admin the feedback on Sieder was also very positive.

What's obvious is you didn't watch the WJC if you think Byram played better than Seider, because Seider, Romanov, and Sandin were all better. But do tell me more about how Byram is looking better post draft, producing at a lower rate in a junior league, in comparison to Seider producing in a men's league.

Probably about as much time as you spent watching Zadina set up scoring opportunity after scoring opportunity only to realize he had s*** linemates like Filppula, Glendening, and Helm, who can't finish if their lives depended on it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What's obvious is you didn't watch the WJC if you think Byram played better than Seider, because Seider, Romanov, and Sandin were all better. But do tell me more about how Byram is looking better post draft, producing at a lower rate in a junior league, in comparison to Seider producing in a men's league.

Probably about as much time as you spent watching Zadina set up scoring opportunity after scoring opportunity only to realize he had s*** linemates like Filppula, Glendening, and Helm, who can't finish if their lives depended on it.

[MOD]

The Avs tasked Byram with improving his defense after he was drafted. Like any NHL team with players returning to juniors, they gave him a list of items they wanted him to improve upon back in Vancouver. Putting up points was not one of those items. But limiting turnovers, better passing accuracy, PK work and general D-zone awareness were all areas they need Byram to improve to better impact the Avs when he makes the jump. The Avs don't need Byram to come into the NHL and put up 65 points his rookie year. But they will need him to be defensively reliable and responsible with the puck. In your mind, a defender's #1 job must be to produce at over a PPG, which Bryam did BTW. But in actuality a defender is tasked with both augmenting the offense... but get this... actually playing defense too and even being impactful in the neutral zone. Being defensively capable, working on transition, jumping into the offense only when necessary. By all accounts, Byram made huge gains in his defensive ability in his post draft season. I know his PPG went from 1.11 to 1.06 (holy hell that's awful regression!!!!!! - BUST). Yet Canada decided to make him their #1 defender at WJC because he was playing so so so so so poorly according to your only metric that matters for a defender = points scored. You're probably a huge fan of the 2nd assist. Hockey has more nuisance however. I'll trust the hockey people and not your extremely limited view of how defenders are measured (PPG!!!!!). And given Sieder only scored two goals in 49 games, I'm shocked you don't think he sucks. I don't. I think he did well in the AHL on decent team. Sieder's NHL future is bright, as is Byrams. Sieder definitely had a better season than the stagnant Joe Veleno (minus 25?).

Last edited by a moderator:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
[MOD]

The Avs tasked Byram with improving his defense after he was drafted. Like any NHL team with players returning to juniors, they gave him a list of items they wanted him to improve upon back in Vancouver. Putting up points was not one of those items. But limiting turnovers, better passing accuracy, PK work and general D-zone awareness were all areas they need Byram to improve to better impact the Avs when he makes the jump. The Avs don't need Byram to come into the NHL and put up 65 points his rookie year. But they will need him to be defensively reliable and responsible with the puck. In your mind, a defender's #1 job must be to produce at over a PPG, which Bryam did BTW. But in actuality a defender is tasked with both augmenting the offense... but get this... actually playing defense too and even being impactful in the neutral zone. Being defensively capable, working on transition, jumping into the offense only when necessary. By all accounts, Byram made huge gains in his defensive ability in his post draft season. I know his PPG went from 1.11 to 1.06 (holy hell that's awful regression!!!!!! - BUST). Yet Canada decided to make him their #1 defender at WJC because he was playing so so so so so poorly according to your only metric that matters for a defender = points scored. You're probably a huge fan of the 2nd assist. Hockey has more nuisance however. I'll trust the hockey people and not your extremely limited view of how defenders are measured (PPG!!!!!). And given Sieder only scored two goals in 49 games, I'm shocked you don't think he sucks. I don't. I think he did well in the AHL on decent team. Sieder's NHL future is bright, as is Byrams. Sieder definitely had a better season than the stagnant Joe Veleno (minus 25?).

Know what's fun? Pointing out Byram's offense apparently showing little to no progression with the expectation that you'd try to argue about his defense... Because Seider beats Byram 10 out of 10 times defensively. Well done, you defeated yourself.

Also, I didn't read this brick wall but I did search for WJC and noted that you love to talk about Canada making him their top defender while continuing to avoid the fact that he wasn't a top three defender in the tournament. Keep those blinders on, bud.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Let me fix this trade for you. Girardo for Athanasiou + Detroit's 2020 2nd round pick at 32 and Detroit's 2021 unprotected 1st round pick. Now we're talking apples to apples for a deal the Avs listen to.

You clearly don't know what actual prices for players are. Girard would never get you 1, 32, and a pretty decent player.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You clearly don't know what actual prices for players are. Girard would never get you 1, 32, and a pretty decent player.

I'm amused you think Detroit is still the worst team again next season. Since we didn’t know that, assume it’s the 7th pick, 32 and Athanasiou.

No. Girard doesn’t get you a 1st overall pick. And Athanasiou gets nothing close to a Girard.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Know what's fun? Pointing out Byram's offense apparently showing little to no progression with the expectation that you'd try to argue about his defense... Because Seider beats Byram 10 out of 10 times defensively. Well done, you defeated yourself.

Also, I didn't read this brick wall but I did search for WJC and noted that you love to talk about Canada making him their top defender while continuing to avoid the fact that he wasn't a top three defender in the tournament. Keep those blinders on, bud.

Not that I care to debate this but oooof, that's a mighty hot take and a really good way to expose yourself as someone talking about a couple players he has no business talking about.

Byrams best asset in the NHL will be his defensive game. Just because he's producing elite offensive numbers as a Dman in junior does not mean he's a slouch defensive player. Something tells me you really haven't watched him play very much at all.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not that I care to debate this but oooof, that's a mighty hot take and a really good way to expose yourself as someone talking about a couple players he has no business talking about.

Byrams best asset in the NHL will be his defensive game. Just because he's producing elite offensive numbers as a Dman in junior does not mean he's a slouch defensive player. Something tells me you really haven't watched him play very much at all.

I never said he's not good defensively.

... He's just not Seider, defensively. Which isn't really a criticism. Seider was pretty much only touted for his defense up until this year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'm amused you think Detroit is still the worst team again next season. Since we didn’t know that, assume it’s the 7th pick, 32 and Athanasiou.

No. Girard doesn’t get you a 1st overall pick. And Athanasiou gets nothing close to a Girard.

We will almost guaranteed be 28-31 in 20-21. Likely won't be heavily involved in UFA market, and only a handful of prospect hopefuls will join us, which means there will be lots of growing pains, on top of the rest of our lackluster roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad