Proposal: DET-COL

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Mantha + a smalll add to get a good D signed affordably to term? I can see it. Mantha needs to be extended, Girard already is.

It's not crazy.

AA for Girard, that's insanity and I'd personally drive AA to the airport to make that trade happen.

But Seider for Jost and Nieto? **** no. That's about as appealing to me as AA for Girard is to you.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mantha + a smalll add to get a good D signed affordably to term? I can see it. Mantha needs to be extended, Girard already is.

It's not crazy.

AA for Girard, that's insanity and I'd personally drive AA to the airport to make that trade happen.

But Seider for Jost and Nieto? **** no. That's about as appealing to me as AA for Girard is to you.

The value of the two positions they play would factor in here pretty significantly as well IMO.

Winger versus Dman, the winger always has more value. Considering both guys play pretty similar roles relative to the positions they play(Girard a Top 4D and borderline Top pairing guy, Mantha a Top 6 forward bordering on 1st line winger)... Girard would hold the slightly higher value simply because the Dman always does compared to the winger. Then you factor in the contracts, with Girard locked up for 7(!) more years on what will undoubtedly be a fantastic, steal of a contract likely for the entire duration, and it sways the value even further.

Personally, and I'm sure lots of Avs fans will disagree with this... But personally I would argue Girard carries more value to the Avs than Byram right now. G is a legit Top 3 Dman already and IMO playing himself into being a Top pairing level guy over his last 25 games or so(He's finally adding some real consistency to his high quality of play). With a 7 year deal locked in that hasn't even started yet until next season. That's a ridiculously valuable player in a cap era league. Girards contract is only going to cost the Avs slightly higher than 6% of our cap next year, in year 1 of the deal. By year 3 or 4 of his contract it could be as low as just 5.5% roughly... for maybe a Top pairing, 22+ minute a night defender...

Byram has all kind of value off his potential no question. But there's also a realistic possibility his ultimate upside ends up being what Girard already is(A good 2/3), with a chance of him being even lower than that, and a chance he winds up a legit #1 as well.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
if im detroit or a team thinking of trading for athanasou i have to consider he could be the type player that needs the right coach to get him thinking straight and its alway basically been blashill as his coach in the pro's , ahl/nhl . so it might be bad chemistry between the two . ive had coaches in varying sports that i butted heads with and thought they were coaching me away from my game and it wrecked my season . so if detroit /yzerman knows hes changing coaches this summer he might be thinking hold off on trading . mean while other teams might think theyve the right coach to figure anthanasou out and bring his world class speed into play creating a serious weapon . either way if im yzerman i dont give him away for less than a top 40 pick because besides mcdavid level speed , yes i realize he doesnt have the rest of mcd game , hes also a very powerful skater that if gets a step on a dman just pushes him aside . hes the type 5 on 5 player that can get goals when d tough opponants got his team shut down

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Who are all these Wings fans making terrible proposals? Make it stop. Our team is embarrassment enough.

Reactions: lilidk

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Mantha isnt going anywhere. The WINGS are not going to trade their best goal scorer with size and grit.

I understand your point 100% and you are probably right that they won't trade him !

but I see the Mantha situation like the Duchene situation for the Avs,
he will be an older player with a high cap hit when the wings will be ready to compete again, if they get a Laffy, I wouldn't be shock if Mantha is moved in the next couple of years.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Whoever ends up with AA will be like wth, we got a player with this much skill for this cheap? Detroit might be better off holding him until the draft. He’s on one of his rolls w 5 goals in 6 games.

He brings a different dynamic to the game for any team. I could see him traded for what amounts to a mid grade prospect and a 2nd to a top tier prospect. He’s a odd player to value because when he’s on, he’s as good as anyone offensively.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I understand your point 100% and you are probably right that they won't trade him !

he will be an older player with a high cap hit when the wings will be ready to compete again, if they get a Laffy, I wouldn't be shock if Mantha is moved in the next couple of years.

Duchene had a long history of issues with the Avs management and once MacKinnon was drafted, it was clear he wasn't going to be the #1C going forward.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Whoever ends up with AA will be like wth, we got a player with this much skill for this cheap? Detroit might be better off holding him until the draft. He’s on one of his rolls w 5 goals in 6 games.

He brings a different dynamic to the game for any team. I could see him traded for what amounts to a mid grade prospect and a 2nd to a top tier prospect. He’s a odd player to value because when he’s on, he’s as good as anyone offensively.

Seriously, it's sad seeing so many people talk about his stats being bad and seemingly giving no consideration to things like opportunity, quality of teammates, injuries, etc. It's like people honestly think AA would still be -50 and have like 5 goals if he played on Colorado, Pittsburgh, Tampa, etc. Defense isn't good but a bit overblown imo, a lot to do with a lack of effort more than anything. Half his minuses alone this season are probably due to Howard not being able to stop a beach ball. He can be absolutely electric offensively when he's on and believe he'd be a steal for someone at late 1st + B prospect price tag

"The plus/minus is what obviously stands out the most, sitting at minus-43. I'm not going to sit here an absolve Athanasiou of his sins; his defensive metrics are very, very bad. All the same, he's undoubtedly been suffering from awful goaltending behind him as the Wings have an .862 save percentage at 5-on-5 with Athanasiou on the ice. For reference on how bad that is: out of 131 forwards with 1000 minutes at 5-on-5 last year, the lowest on-ice save percentage belonged to Tomas Hertl at .876. No other forward was under .880. Yes, Athanasiou is bad defensively; no, his plus/minus isn't all his fault. It's weird I have to go over this in 2020 but I still see plus/minus referenced on broadcasts so the beatings will continue until morale improves."

The article continues with more insight on AA...

Ramblings: Johnsson update; Martinez to Vegas; Malgin to Toronto; Athanasiou; Terry - February 20

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Girard is obviously not a player that would be available and AA's value has cratered this year.

Surely you must know how awful this is the second you posted it.

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
When did AA become a stud player? How in the world is he worth a guy like Girard? This is definitely the weirdest timeline.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
To Detroit: Samuel Girard

To Colorado: Andreas Athanasiou

Detroit does it as they could use an offensive LHD to run a PP and Colorado has a surplus of offensive dman (Makar, Timmins, Byram).

Decent or nah?
Sorry bro can't see Sakic doing that deal ....Avs nation would go bonkers

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

It sure is great to constantly hear the two contrasting thoughts around here:
"This team (Leafs, Oilers, etc) have a ton of talent. They are just too young and inexperienced"
and
"Trade away your 24-25 year olds. They will be washed up in 2-3 years"

That being said, AA for Girard is crazy. And wings fans are doing an even better job of cooking up crazier Det/Col trades on our board

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Would Detroit consider a trade around Graves and Mantha?

Maybe something like Graves + Zhuravlyov + 2021 2nd? Feel free to make suggestions on what could make it work.

Mantha is a few years older than most of Detroit's young core, and so it would make sense for Detroit to move him while his value is high rather than wasting his prime years. Detroit is also badly in need of defensemen, and this trade would give them a young top 4 LHD and a really solid LHD prospect.

Graves showed this season that he can play on the 1st pair, and could potentially be a good partner for Seider. Zhuravlyov is a solid defensive LHD who was one of Russia's steadiest if not best defensemen at the last WJC, and has already been playing in the KHL. The reason both Graves and Zhuravlyov would be available is because Avs have Byram arriving soon which should lock down the LHD side for Colorado together with Girard going forward.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I guess I'm overvaluing Graves and Zhuravlyov. What would make it a fair trade in your opinion? Graves + 1st + better prospect(s)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->