News Article: Despres/Ebbett to WBS, Bennett to ECHL, Pouliot to WHL, Letang/Vokoun to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yep. It was explained to me that Ruopp has a higher cap hit than Despres and Bennett, so calling him up gets them as close to the upper limit as possible, allowing them to maximze the use of putting Vokoun on LTIR. So there ya go.

Exactly. Someone gets it:nod:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think they're making the right decision re: Maatta/Despres, assuming they give Maatta nine games and Despres a wake-up call in the 'A'.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I like how we have to pull all this cap circumvention crap so we can keep a 6th D-man making 2.5 million to suck.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
If there planning on bringing up Despres why not send him to wheeling like they did to BB?

I think they might let Maatta play a couple games and then call Despres back up. Or they were doing a straight swap with Ruopp/Despres because of roster numbers.

I don't really think it makes a difference where anyone was sent though. The roster will look different again by Thursday.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
are you praising me or making fun of me?

ANSWER WISELY...

Calm down there Trashcan Man, Mother Abigail ain't scared of you.

Maatta will get his 9 games, Despres will get reeducated in the A and all will be back to normal.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
I have a 'fan' that is freaking out because Bennett is 'going to the ECHL'. This is hilarious.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We don't know if Letang is getting an LTIR designation like Vokoun (I'd expect not), so that greatly affects the cap situation. Bennett will obviously be back. Despres seems less likely to start the year to both get under the cap ceiling and sign Kobasew.

The key word is patience. We need to see which moves are cap shenanigans and which aren't. Remember, the goal is to be as close to the ceiling as is humanly possible before designating anyone for LTIR. That's how you get the most cap relief.

We can argue about decisions by Bylsma and Shero, but I would urge people to trust Botterill when it comes to managing a cap situation like this.

This say's it all.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think they might let Maatta play a couple games and then call Despres back up. Or they were doing a straight swap with Ruopp/Despres because of roster numbers.

I don't really think it makes a difference where anyone was sent though. The roster will look different again by Thursday.

Nah not Despres. If it was just a cap thing he would have just been sent to Wheeling as its closer to Pittsburgh than WBS. They intend to have Maatta up until Letang is back at least.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Roster Size 23

$-546,667

Is the money we have to pay Kobasew right now i believe?
Voukon goes on LTIR and you can call Despres and Bennet back up(they are a shade under 2M combined)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If any junior player deserved a tryout since Kris Letang got one all those years ago, it's Maata.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
We'll see how they treat Despres this year. The writing was on the wall when they decided to keep Niskanen around. If they continue to jerk him around between the AHL and then benching him for random games once he gets called back up, then you can chalk this up as another wasted year of development.

Like I said though, we'll just have to wait and see at this point.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We're something like 1.99 million over the cap.

Yea i think i forgot to add Maata's cap hit in my figures.
If you do, i think theres 1M or so to sign Kobasew to reach 2M over.

The 2 best places to be are right at the cap limit or 2M over.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Yeah we will have to wait and see how long Despres is with the baby pens, after seeing how DB used Despres last year it just doesn't seem like DB is a big fan of Despres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad