News Article: Despres/Ebbett to WBS, Bennett to ECHL, Pouliot to WHL, Letang/Vokoun to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Maybe there was truth to the team being upset with Despres' conditioning?

And why is Bennett a cap move? Do you think the intention is to keep him down there?

Sending him to Wheeling makes absolutely zero sense, so it obviously has something to do with the cap/something similar

Edit: Could you imagine putting Engelland, Bortuzzo, and Ruopp in the lineup?

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I've basically sworn Penguins hockey off until Bylsma is fired, but today on Facebook I discover that Despres and Bennett were sent down. I can only assume they were sent down to make room for more Craig Adams and Mark Eaton.

Apparently one is a cap thing. That's good.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Lol @ the Pens fans on twitter freaking out about Beau being sent down, talk about clueless.

Is Vokoun going on LTIR?

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ruopp's cap hit is 85k more than Despres' for those curious

Yep. It was explained to me that Ruopp has a higher cap hit than Despres and Bennett, so calling him up gets them as close to the upper limit as possible, allowing them to maximze the use of putting Vokoun on LTIR. So there ya go.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Ruopp is injured and hasn't played a single pre-season game for WBS, he's not expected back soon either. Paper transaction to save cap space, that's all it is.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Bennett's obviously a cap thing but Despres I'm not so sure about. Not sure why they called Ruopp up when McNeil is the cheapest dman signed in WBS, I know Ruopp has playing bonuses so maybe that has something to do with it but his base salary is still higher than McNeil's.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'll post this here as well. First, read this article by Mike Colligan:
http://thehockeywriters.com/tomas-vokoun-injury-salary-cap-ltir/

Specifically, look at option 2 at the bottom of that article.

Now notice that, according to CapGeek, the result of these moves is that the Pens are sitting at $1,990,833 over the cap.

Add to that the fact that Shero specifically stated, "What our roster is on Thursday, it might not be the same [as 5 p.m. Monday]. We'll wait and see." (quoted from a PG+ post: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/penguins-plus/122902-shero-bylsma-on-roster for those who can read it).

Oh, and since Conner already cleared waivers, they've got a few days where they can still send him down without him having to pass through them again.

If I had to guess, Conner and Ruopp won't be on the opening night roster. Bennett will be. Despres will have to toil in the AHL until they decide to send Maatta back to Juniors. But that's just my guess.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I wonder if the severity of Letang's injury has become any clearer? there certainly weren't any indications that it was something long-term. I guess the extra 3.5 mil in cap space will help in the short term, but do they really need to do that much?

Also I am very surprised that Maatta is still in town. It'd be neat to see him get his nine games in. Very confused about Despres though.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
We don't know if Letang is getting an LTIR designation like Vokoun (I'd expect not), so that greatly affects the cap situation. Bennett will obviously be back. Despres seems less likely to start the year to both get under the cap ceiling and sign Kobasew.

The key word is patience. We need to see which moves are cap shenanigans and which aren't. Remember, the goal is to be as close to the ceiling as is humanly possible before designating anyone for LTIR. That's how you get the most cap relief.

We can argue about decisions by Bylsma and Shero, but I would urge people to trust Botterill when it comes to managing a cap situation like this.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bennett is obviously for the cap, but why was Despres sent down?!?!?!?

Despres was likely sent down for cap purposes as well as roster spot for Maatta. They called up Ruopp who will obviously not be playing so it seems likely that they were trying to get as close to the cap as possible.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Relax guys. The moves are just to ensure that we're as close to 2 million over the cap as possible. We can place Vokoun on LTIR (edit*) now, get close to 2 million in cap relief and then swap back at least Bennett and Conner, and send down Ruopp and we'll get a little extra cap space than the maximum 2 million if we just LTIR'd Vokoun. So later in the year we have as much room as possible for any further injuries/moves.

Apart from Despres possibly getting sent down for a few games, none of this is more than a paper transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad