News Article: Despres/Ebbett to WBS, Bennett to ECHL, Pouliot to WHL, Letang/Vokoun to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
It amazes me that some people are still confused by these moves, but I came in here for the entertainment anyway. Further proof the nation's reading comprehension skills are going down the toilet.

We've been talking for several weeks about the fact that if the Pens sent Elmer down, he wouldn't go through waivers, so he was the likely "cap balancer" at the start of the season (in the absence of a trade). He may or may not stay down there a while (until some like Niskanen or Engo is traded), but it was pretty much a given that this was going to happen once it was clear no trade was happening. All other NHL D would have to clear waivers.

And the Bennett thing... this is why I spend 0 minutes of my life reading dumbass fan comments on Facebook and Twitter or Penguins.com. The idea that there are people out there dumb enough to think Bennett has been demoted down not one but two levels, makes me want to print up some brochures and hit the Pittsburgh mall scene to sell some bridges. Jesus. :laugh: ****ing pay attention, kiddies. Watch a pre-season game... read up on how happy everyone is with his play and that he's a lock for the roster. Then try and put two and two together without using a calculator or having yer head explode.

Our capologist guy does all sorts of crazy **** at the start of the season (based on all the fine print in the rules), to get us cap compliant. The only aspect of these moves that are hockey moves are Ebbett (not ready), Pouliot (not ready). As for Letang I think his IR move is probably a precautionary one and after a week or whatever it is (retroactive to Saturday when he was declared "out"), he'll be back. Just let him rest up a bit to make sure he's structurally OK in the knee area before getting him into games.

I read a few comments on the Penguin's site and I couldn't handle it. It's amazing how uneducated some 'fans' are.

I love reading Facebook comments. Much like I subject myself to 'The Extra Point' with Pompeani after Steelers games.

You know the scene at the end of 'The Grinch', where "his heart grew three sizes that day"? I imagine by brain grows three sizes when I realize how many ridiculously stupid people there are out there.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The other motivation for the Pens to keep Despres down to start the season may also be his contract status. He's an RFA at the end of the season and the less games he plays, the cheaper they can sign him for in his next contract.

I'm sorry, but that's a pretty ****** reason. Your goal should be to win (though, hey, with some of their other moves, that may not be their motivation) and you should be looking to ice your best-possible lineup. That includes Despres 100% of the time.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Maybe my math is off but it seems like when the dust settles we have about 300k in cap space? That means that with Maatta or Despres up, we would have to make an additional move to fit Kobe under the cap.
Looks like closer to 200k with Maatta up, I wouldn't be surprised is he is sent down when we come to terms with Kobe

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Everything makes sense but this. I'm still baffled as to why this is something that would need to be done.

It's explained well in this article.

Tomas Vokoun carries a $2 million cap hit. If the Penguins have $1.5 million in cap space at the time of the LTIR designation, they are eligible for an extra $500k of relief. If they have $1 million in space, they get $1 million in relief. How about zero space? You guessed it — the full $2 million in cap relief. Therefore, Pittsburgh wants to be as close to the cap as possible before taking LTIR on Vokoun.

It's a little cryptic but everything is once the lawyers are involved. Ruopp gets them closer to the cap than the other guys maximizing the Vokoun's LTIR exemption.

Fire Shero*

haha are there any pics of despres? I knew he was out of shape, but is he really fat?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think this is part of Shero's evil plan to get Ruopp into the lineup, to stem the criticism of him "trading Michalek for nothing". Fire Shero!

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm sorry, but that's a pretty ****** reason. Your goal should be to win (though, hey, with some of their other moves, that may not be their motivation) and you should be looking to ice your best-possible lineup. That includes Despres 100% of the time.

I agree with you. I think Despres should be an everyday player. I was (and still would be) totally on board with the idea of him being a top four defenseman this year. But it wouldn't surprise me if that's what the organization was doing. Instead of having a 2.5-3M top four dman the next few years, we may have a 1.5-2M top four dman the next few years.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Don't listen to Jacob... he's trying to paint a rosy picture, here. As is his wont.

In reality... his physique is at downright Orson Welles-like proportions.

Latter day Orson Welles.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Elmer recently had his apartment pantry remodeled... decide for yourself.

3270077090_aeebfe17b6_z.jpg

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
It's explained well in this article.

It's a little cryptic but everything is once the lawyers are involved. Ruopp gets them closer to the cap than the other guys maximizing the Vokoun's LTIR exemption.

Thanks, that clears things up for me. Weird rule. I wonder if Ruopp was confused or they just told his agent "cap thing" and his agent said "k." I wonder if they picked Ruopp partially BECAUSE he is hurt so they wouldn't rob someone of a WBS game?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The fact that some people actually think that Bennett will actually see even a second of ice time in Wheeling is disconcerting. We knew that a move like that was coming for weeks. How much are we under the cap right now? I read somewhere it was over $1m?

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
With Bennett in Freaking WV does this mean Glass is moved up the 3rd line? How many goals do you think Glass will score on that line this year? Hoping the goes to the front of the net a lot. Going to be an awesome year. :sarcasm:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
With Bennett in Freaking WV does this mean Glass is moved up the 3rd line? How many goals do you think Glass will score on that line this year? Hoping the goes to the front of the net a lot. Going to be an awesome year. :sarcasm:

It will be beast!Glass, so 2 goals, but one will be disallowed, and an assist for getting hit by a puck when he's in the wrong spot. 3 year, 1.5 million/year contract.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Engelland, Adams, Vitale, Glass That sure does fit the same silly commitment to hard working talentless spare parts that Bylsma/Granato need to play. :help:

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Three and only 3 things are clear right now.
1. Beau Bennett will be brought up by Thursday
2. Harrison Ruopp will be sent down by Thursday.
3. Vokoun is on LTIR

The unanswered questions
1. Is Maata staying on a 9 game or is him staying a perfect salary to get as close to that 2 million number?
2. Did Despres get sent down or did Maata just have a better cap number? (I tend to think he got sent down bc he didn't get sent to Wheeling)
3. Did Chris Conner actually make the roster or is he in the same boat as Ruopp?
4. Will Kobesew be signed? is this scenario holding up the deal?
5. How hurt is Letang? This has no implications.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Engelland, Adams, Vitale, Glass That sure does fit the same silly commitment to hard working talentless spare parts that Bylsma/Granato need to play. :help:

Don't forget, they might bring Conner back up to play opposite Glass on wing.
Glass-Sutter-Conner

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I just did the math, they are 10,166 dollars from being exactly 2 million over. The players involved had to be involved.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hopefully Kobasew is willing to take less to play a regular role on a contending team. He's in a great situation here.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hopefully Kobasew is willing to take less to play a regular role on a contending team. He's in a great situation here.

Why would he settle for the league minimum when he could probably get twice that elsewhere? It's sad to think a solid player like Kobasew would be making less money than no-talent hacks like Adams and Glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->