Post-Game Talk: Despite Eakins' attempts, the Oilers beat Tampa 3-2

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Send Drai down, and I think we need to trade Perron straight up for a 2C. (Anisimov)

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Pouliot - Anisimov - Yakupov
X - Arco - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Joensuu

Marincin - Fayne
Nikitin - Petry
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference

Scrivens
Fasth

Playoffs baby ;)

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
how exactly ??

Yaks game has changed dramatically , I hate eakins , but seriously ???????

He's changed him from a one shot player to a guy that comes back , hits and is just more well rounded , the minutes will come

but some of you guys are stat ****** and nothing else , I for one am happy with the way yak is handled this season

Uh...what? This...doesn't even compute... Almost every single post I've seen being angry about Yak's minutes have been specifically quoting his great backchecking, simple play, and effort level. You know, not...stat watching. Those same posters (myself included) are noting that to the 'eye test', Yakupov basically was benched the entire 3rd. Which we then verified by stats. Why are you happy with his handling? Can you point out specific ways in which his handling has been good?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
That Palat kid in Tbay is really good. I was shocked at how physical he was...

Guys... that right there is how you run a young NHL team. Cooper is a solid coach.

He's the guy who gave away the puck which caused the Oil to score the GWG.

BTW, people saying Yak should get more ice time, which forward would you give less ice time to? Obviously not the top line and Pouliet and Purcell are big bodies who are going to play a lot. That leaves Perron. The reality is it's tough to find ice for him. And with the fourth line playing so well, that makes it even tougher.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Uh...what? This...doesn't even compute... Almost every single post I've seen being angry about Yak's minutes have been specifically quoting his great backchecking, simple play, and effort level. You know, not...stat watching. Those same posters (myself included) are noting that to the 'eye test', Yakupov basically was benched the entire 3rd. Which we then verified by stats. Why are you happy with his handling? Can you point out specific ways in which his handling has been good?

He did well , played solid and created chances . Him not being the most solid player YET and us needing a win , ya I would have played it the same way . I can see that more minutes for him would be nice and hey will come but this is how EVERY team in the league developed their young talent , and ya it is stat watching when you say ... oh he played the least amount of mins , FYI

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
Ya drai belongs in junior. We need to make a trade for even at bare minimum an nhl center because drai looks terrible and is ruining good winger combos

workedforme

Oct 20, 2006
He did well , played solid and created chances . Him not being the most solid player YET and us needing a win , ya I would have played it the same way . I can see that more minutes for him would be nice and hey will come but this is how EVERY team in the league developed their young talent , and ya it is stat watching when you say ... oh he played the least amount of mins , FYI

How do you explain Drai getting more minutes then?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

You could look at it broader than that though. It's still extremely early in the season. He could easily average a lot of minutes a game by the end of year. Eakins is obviously sheltering him right now, which makes sense for a young player with fragile confidence.

Adding more ice time might really help Yakupov explode, or he might also regress. More ice time means more defensive zone starts and maybe more PK. If he starts making costly turnovers it could rattle him. As much as low ice time can be frustrating, at least Yakupov can take pride in what he's done so far.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Don't really understand the first period benching Yakupov got. Seemed random and undeserved. Tie game, no mistakes.

The second period seemed reasonable enough given how the team is built; guys are going to get 5'ish minutes a period. That's what his line should be getting.

Third period was just Eakins reverting back to the Ralph Krueger school of "we have the lead bench the Russians." At least in this case he wasn't able to triple shift Petrell in his place.

Purposely not getting involved in the melodramatics around here on many issues. Yak being one of them.

There is no way to know why that happened and if it was deserved but I did see Yak drifting around the ice in this game. When he vacates his wing its very easy to exploit because it opens up a ton of ice for the opposition and creates major chances against.
Poor defensive decisions like that are a major part of why this team is losing.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
How do you explain Drai getting more minutes then?

him being bigger , more of a possession player, good wingers to help
oh and not to mention , he's being evaluated , where we all have agreed that he needs to go down , management still needs to

only logical that they want to play him abit more

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
You could look at it broader than that though. It's still extremely early in the season. He could easily average a lot of minutes a game by the end of year. Eakins is obviously sheltering him right now, which makes sense for a young player with fragile confidence.

Adding more ice time might really help Yakupov explode, or he might also regress. More ice time means more defensive zone starts and maybe more PK. If he starts making costly turnovers it could rattle him. As much as low ice time can be frustrating, at least Yakupov can take pride in what he's done so far.

Nailed it.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

As I've already said (I'm losing track of whether it's this thread or the Yakupov thread, sorry), I am not opposed to his being sheltered. What I am opposed to is that:

1. He is somehow in greater need of sheltering than any of our other players, including the rookie Leon Draisaitl, who has actually looked like he needs more sheltering.

2. He should be getting rewarded for his play. If Eakins hasn't been an atrocious coach all-around, I might be more willing to take a wait and see approach in this regard. I will freely admit it has been a fairly small sample size, but still. Yak's been one of our most solid players the season thus far - he deserves SOME playtime in the third when he game's on the line. If he isn't being rewarded for such a substantial improvement in play with any sort of ice time, what sort of message is this sending to Yak? What sort of message is it sending it to the rest of the team? I was excited by Eakins' talk of accountability, but we simply haven't seen it except for Yakupov. So much for making everyone earn their ice time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Excellent post.

Nice to read a balanced, common sense post like this for a change.
I really dont understand why so many posters are all lathered up over this.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I actually agree with this overall. As I noted above, I'm far less patient with Eakins given the trainwreck he has turned this team into overall, first win of the season or no (and yes I agree we played well tonight). Furthermore, I'm not saying (and I don't think most are) that Yak should be playing as many minutes as Hall. We're just saying that maybe, just maybe, he shouldn't be getting the least icetime on the team since he's playing so damn well.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think so too , do you think he could come in and play on an 2way "2nd line" ?

Hall RNH Ebs
Pou Brods Purcell
Perron Arco Yak
JJ Gordie Hen

I actually like that

I don't really think Brods as a 2nd line C. It'll probably be RNH, Arco, Brods, and Gord. That being said, its a solid C corp. I like Dr Drai, but I don't think he's quite ready to play just yet. A year in juniors, or playing in the euro league, will benefit him nicely.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Seriously, just reading this topic gives me the impression that "Eakins" last name is pronounced like...

250px-023Ekans.png
:shakehead:help:

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
As I've already said (I'm losing track of whether it's this thread or the Yakupov thread, sorry), I am not opposed to his being sheltered. What I am opposed to is that:

1. He is somehow in greater need of sheltering than any of our other players, including the rookie Leon Draisaitl, who has actually looked like he needs more sheltering.

2. He should be getting rewarded for his play. If Eakins hasn't been an atrocious coach all-around, I might be more willing to take a wait and see approach in this regard. I will freely admit it has been a fairly small sample size, but still. Yak's been one of our most solid players the season thus far - he deserves SOME playtime in the third when he game's on the line. If he isn't being rewarded for such a substantial improvement in play with any sort of ice time, what sort of message is this sending to Yak? What sort of message is it sending it to the rest of the team? I was excited by Eakins' talk of accountability, but we simply haven't seen it except for Yakupov. So much for making everyone earn their ice time.

I admit that he's much improved and I mean much improved from last year and ya he could use more mins but I understand why they are playing him the way they are

they're probably trying to avoid an Rj situation added to that , they want a more solid 2 way player and you can see that he's getting there

Drai had more mins due to being evaluated , plain and simple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad