Post-Game Talk: Despite Eakins' attempts, the Oilers beat Tampa 3-2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Petry was NOT that good. Stood around like an idiot like he usually does on Lightning's tying goal. This dude does NOT recognize danger. This dude does not execute plays to get the puck out of the zone. His biggest problem is hockey IQ is low. But everyone acts like he's a stud because he looks somewhat dynamic skating the puck out of our zone. It's very noticable which is why he gets looked upon like he's good.

Truth is:
He CANNOT get shots to the net.
He CANNOT make simple passes.
He CANNOT get pucks out of our zone.
And after many seasons, still can't pick up danger in our zone when he sees it.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but Watching those goals tonight Bishop had a bit of an off night tonight. But I'll take it. We outgoaltended someone for once.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but Watching those goals tonight Bishop had a bit of an off night tonight. But I'll take it. We outgoaltended someone for once.

I think Bishop was still very good and made some great saves. The RNH goal was a perfect shot that I don't think he could've got. The first goal for both teams was a fluke but I'll take it.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Petry was NOT that good. Stood around like an idiot like he usually does on Lightning's tying goal. This dude does NOT recognize danger. This dude does not execute plays to get the puck out of the zone. His biggest problem is hockey IQ is low. But everyone acts like he's a stud because he looks somewhat dynamic skating the puck out of our zone. It's very noticable which is why he gets looked upon like he's good.

Truth is:

I think you have Petry and Ference mixed up.

Petry hit the post on a very good shot, Ference missed the net a couple times
Petry is the only d man on that pairing that can pass out of the zone, Ference defers to Petry when under pressure and bobbles at time when not under pressure

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Fayner was a beauty tonight. That play where he poked te puck off Stamkos stick and quickly transitioned the puck over to Marincin to pass the puck up the ice was great.

I also thought Nikitin was solid. He might not be flashy but he sure isn't afraid to take the body. He might be our most physical defender.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The love for Yakupov and the hate for Ference's play is not the mainstream thing here... its what we have been noticing. Nail has stepped his play up to the point where he deserves some love... especially after many of were crapping on him last season, he's showing hes a gamer. Just this game alone Ference was getting clowned by many Tampa players, my most favorite is when Drouin picked his pocket and almost fell on his ass. We can only hope for the betterment of this team the captain steps up his game.

I dont understand why posters are so convinced that after 6 games Yakupov has miraculously changed and is now worthy of top 6 minutes.

His play is improving specifically because his minutes are sheltered. Its great to see Yak being more responsible but 6 games are a drop in the bucket.

I will happily agree with the sentiment that he deserves more once he shows me that he can maintain some consistency and he isnt going to fall back into old habits.

Just because an employee has not been late for a week doesnt mean he is worthy of a promotion. Lets see that continue for a few months or better yet even longer.

Same with Yak. Lets see him put together a meaningful string of games before he gets rewarded with more important ice time.

Whats the rush?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Father was a beauty tonight. That play where he poked te puck off Stamkos stick and quickly transitioned the puck over to Marincin to pass the puck up the ice was great.

I also thought Nikitin was solid. He might not be flashy but he sure isn't afraid to take the body. He might be our most physical defender.

Father? Did you mean Fayne?

Fayne is indeed a beauty and he really calms down Marinicns game.

Very smart pairing by Ramsay.

Nilkitin over handles the puck a bit too much for my liking. If he can remove that element he will be a better player IMO.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Father? Did you mean Fayne?

Fayne is indeed a beauty and he really calms down Marinicns game.

Very smart pairing by Ramsay.

Nilkitin over handles the puck a bit too much for my liking. If he can remove that element he will be a better player IMO.

Fricking AC. Yes Fayne. That's what I get for calling him Fayner. I believe Nikitin is leading our team in takeaways. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to stop from cycling pucks throughout the year.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Nikitin has been much better since he's been split up with Fayne I think.

Yep. Neither Fayne or Nikitin are great passers/puck movers. I think they are both good at making simple plays but they need a Marincin/Schultz to be effective.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Nikitin has been much better since he's been split up with Fayne I think.

Yep and vice versa. Nikitin and Schultz will be one of those pairs that will have amazing and terrible games but probably more amazing than terrible. Petry and Ference deserve each other and can be our bottom pair where they belong. Petry will be gone after this year at the latest and Ference should be. Nice guy but bad at defence as he gets older.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Did you miss the 82 games last year where Ference was total garbage? He is the worst defender on the team. "Experience" doesn't mean **** if you can't play.

Did you miss the fact that this team had an appalling lack of defensive depth last season?

I dont think last season should be a guide for determining the true value of dmen especially ones that were over played because there were no other options.

I would like to see Ferences ice time come down to about 15 minutes a game once the pairings get solidified.

As already mentioned the Fayne/Marincin pairing was excellent and Nikitin is improving playing with a puck mover...great point made by DousedinOil.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think you have Petry and Ference mixed up.

Petry hit the post on a very good shot, Ference missed the net a couple times
Petry is the only d man on that pairing that can pass out of the zone, Ference defers to Petry when under pressure and bobbles at time when not under pressure

Petry hit the post tonight. On most nights he can't get the puck even close to the net. He does not have this skill which is why he will always be a 4-5 defenceman.

Petry can pass better than Ference yes, but he's only average at that.

Petry's biggest saving grace is his long stride and reach which allows him to skate the puck out of the zone. He just doesn't have the hockey IQ to do anything worthwhile as he skates it up.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
liking the thought of

marincin fayne
Nikitin Schultz
Petry Ference

Although if it were up to me I'd send hunt down, sit ference and play klefbom on the third pairing with petry, and put ference in anytime someone has a weak game.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
liking the thought of

marincin fayne
Nikitin Schultz
Petry Ference

Although if it were up to me I'd send hunt down, sit ference and play klefbom on the third pairing with petry, and put ference in anytime someone has a weak game.

Yeah, unfortunately I just don't see them sitting the captain. Not that I agree with it, I just don't see it. Only way he draws out of the lineup is due to injury/illness IMO.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Call me crazy but I think we stack up reasonably well against Washington.

Stick that Marincin-Fayne pairing to Ovie like glue, though.

hockeyfanOU812

do you feel in charge?
Mar 27, 2014
Way to go Oilers!

tigebGV.jpg

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
... the hate for Ference's play is not the mainstream thing here... its what we have been noticing. ...

WAT. I'm not a huge fan of Ference and don't like him as Captain, but what on earth are you talking about here? Ference hating is the definition of mainstream here. It's no doubt amplified by his captaincy but people crack jokes about Ference's play before every game. He'd have to start playing like Chris Pronger to reverse his reputation at this point.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Truth is:

Agree 100%

Connor Mcdavey*

Truth is:
Agreed. Don't understand why everybody is so in love with him :help:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

Truth is:
Why make strong statements that are so obviously incorrect. He probably skates/moves the puck better than any Oiler on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad