TV: Designated Survivor

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fantastic season, i was hooked from the first ep. to the last... never a dull moment either.

Mid-season I wondered what they would do for a second season and now I see it will be about tracking down Lloyd and finding out what else he has planned.

Thought Kirkman would make Shore VP tbh.

Maybe this is an ignorant question but wouldn't the VP have to be an elected official or could POTUS just appoint anyone?

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Maybe this is an ignorant question but wouldn't the VP have to be an elected official or could POTUS just appoint anyone?

President nominates a VP candidate, who is then subject to Congressional approval. See: Gerald Ford, who eventually became president having never received a vote.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I finally go to watching the finale. It's an okay show. I will continue to watch it next season.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Bringing this back from the dead because I'm watching the 3rd season. I'm assuming that after Netflix took over they produced the show in Canada. The accents from a number of the cast is jarringly Canadian, which is just bad for a show that is nearly entirely "American" in location and characters. But the most egregious "take me out of the moment" moments are when characters use the term "washroom" instead of "bathroom" or "restroom". I don't know a single American who uses this term. It would be like if they tried to have an American call potato chips "crisps" for a British example.

How does a whole production team and writing team miss this?

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Bringing this back from the dead because I'm watching the 3rd season. I'm assuming that after Netflix took over they produced the show in Canada. The accents from a number of the cast is jarringly Canadian, which is just bad for a show that is nearly entirely "American" in location and characters. But the most egregious "take me out of the moment" moments are when characters use the term "washroom" instead of "bathroom" or "restroom". I don't know a single American who uses this term. It would be like if they tried to have an American call potato chips "crisps" for a British example.

How does a whole production team and writing team miss this?
The whole series was filmed in Canada, not just the last season. Shame about it being cancelled for good. It wasn't a great show but it was entertaining.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The whole series was filmed in Canada, not just the last season. Shame about it being cancelled for good. It wasn't a great show but it was entertaining.
I wonder why the drastic difference in the ways I mentioned. Seems really odd.

I'm not enjoying season 3 as much as 1-2 so I don't really mind it getting canceled. It would have been better as a miniseries based around the original premise. If it were conceived in the UK it would have been.

DaBadGuy316

May 26, 2007
VanCity
I was so hyped for this show and its premise when it first aired but man it started to suck real quick. Season 3 was a joke. Even the swearing felt so out of place and forced to me.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah everything is just off about season 3.

Off is a good word for it. It felt like turning DS from a West Wing-ish show with a touch of 24 on the side to a total House of Cards/Scandal heel turn. It's just too drastic a switch, even the pre and post-Sorkin West Wing didn't shift super dramatically overnight.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Off is a good word for it. It felt like turning DS from a West Wing-ish show with a touch of 24 on the side to a total House of Cards/Scandal heel turn. It's just too drastic a switch, even the pre and post-Sorkin West Wing didn't shift super dramatically overnight.

I haven't finished season 3 yet, but I agree.

I maintain that it would have been a better show if it had been done as a mini-series. The original concept is solid. There just isn't any reason to make every single show into a longer is better thing. The Brits know this, that's why they have so many really good TV shows with short seasons, and many more miniseries. Like, would anybody want to see an American version of Peaky Blinders unless maybe it was produced by HBO?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Oh, I didn't know this is a NA show as well. I watched the first four episodes of the Korean version. Until now it's OK.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I haven't brought myself to watch any of e Korean version yet. Is it as full of intense over-acting as a lot of Korean dramas?
I wouldn't say so. It feels quite western, acting wise. There are a couple of very good Korean shows. If nothing else you have to watch Mister Sunshine.

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I haven't finished season 3 yet, but I agree.

I maintain that it would have been a better show if it had been done as a mini-series. The original concept is solid. There just isn't any reason to make every single show into a longer is better thing. The Brits know this, that's why they have so many really good TV shows with short seasons, and many more miniseries. Like, would anybody want to see an American version of Peaky Blinders unless maybe it was produced by HBO?

A good example is the UK House of Cards in relation to the US one. The UL version did 3 miniseries to end off the trilogy (Although personally I wasn't a fan of the last series). The US version tried milking everything out of it untill there was nothing left. Frankly the series could have ended after the second season.

Reactions: glovesave_35

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
A good example is the UK House of Cards in relation to the US one. The UL version did 3 miniseries to end off the trilogy (Although personally I wasn't a fan of the last series). The US version tried milking everything out of it untill there was nothing left. Frankly the series could have ended after the second season.
It ended for me after the 2nd season.

Reactions: donghabs98

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Apart from having a counterpart pretty much the same thing here with Designated Survivor. Was a good show when the premise was about the "Designated Survivor" and they had to survive and uncover the conspiracy. Once that got resolved and it became a "President Kirkman" show focused on resolving a 'presidential topic of the week' it went down hill. At that point the writing just became poor imitations of real world issue that President Kirkman would always resolve by digging up some secrets and giving a stern talking to.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Apart from having a counterpart pretty much the same thing here with Designated Survivor. Was a good show when the premise was about the "Designated Survivor" and they had to survive and uncover the conspiracy. Once that got resolved and it became a "President Kirkman" show focused on resolving a 'presidential topic of the week' it went down hill. At that point the writing just became poor imitations of real world issue that President Kirkman would always resolve by digging up some secrets and giving a stern talking to.
There never seemed to be a real direction for the show (the repeated shifting of showrunners didnt help). The show sold me on the premise and what the aftermath of such a horrendous event would be like. Once that was done, it show seemed to be stuck trying to be a West Wing-24 hybrid and it didnt work.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
They also tried too hard to force political issues into the narrative.
The transgender narrative felt very ham-fisted. I really like seeing transgender representation in mainstream media but this came across like they just took a handful of hot button topics and jammed them in awkwardly for no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2