TV: Designated Survivor

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Funny that Kal Penn was killed off a show to work for the President and now he's in a show working for the president.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I'm surprised nobody is talking about last night's premiere. I thought it got off to an interesting start. I will definitely be tuning in next week.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I tried. Got about half way through. I just kept thinking about Jack Bauer.

I will try to finish.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
I hardly watch ABC shows but had to check this one out as a huge 24 fan. Pretty good premier and I definitely felt like there was a little Jack Bauer in Kiefer's character when he started talking tough with the Iranian ambassador.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Oh did I miss the pilot? This was the one show that intrigued me from the previews. Glad to hear you guys thought it was good, I'm sure the pilot will be playing again.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
This was one of the few new shows that I was looking forward to. I thought the series premiere was solid.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Liked the pilot. Will watch the rest of the season for sure.

Ironically Jack Bauer and CTU would be greatly needed in a situation like this. Kiefer is doing a good job at playing the president but i can't help but think about Jack as well , especially in the type of climate the show is portraying. I re watched all season of 24 on Netflix not long ago so that probably doesn't help. I'm almost expecting Tony and Chole to show up anytime now :laugh:

Also , isn't General Cochrane the same guy that played the Russian who kidnapped Chloe and exchanged her for Jack in 24: Live Another Day finale ? Because he sure as hell look like him. :amazed: I wouldn't trust that SOB

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
No terrorist organization has taken credit for the bombing and the general seems to want to start war and a coup.

He's the armed forces general, of course he wants to start a war against someone since someone just killed hundreds of people including the president.

Again, I'd be completely floored if he had any part of what happened.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I liked it, but, Kiefer Sutherland is not the best casting for this, but, it's probably what helped this get made.

The way his character is described, as being more disarming and casual, goes against what audiences expect out of him as an actor (particularly because of the his previous roles). The scene with the Iranian ambassador would be much more powerful coming from an actor who you don't expect that intensity from.

Still, good pilot, and it really was well done. The confusion as things were happening were really well portrayed.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
No terrorist organization has taken credit for the bombing and the general seems to want to start war and a coup.

I hope that is a theme they hammer upon repeatedly. Can you imagine in the modern political climate how many people in and out of government that would question the legitimacy of a non-elected POTUS, who happened to arise to the position from nowhere because of a arbitrary list of succession?

I was thinking that (in real life) the Vice President should always be the designated survivor for the State of the Union address. He or she really does not need to be there, and should the worst-case scenario happen, there would much more credibility to the VP assuming control of the government.

And why was the designated survivor still in Washington, DC? Should not that person be in an area that exists outside the probably kill radius of a nuclear weapon in the Megaton range?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I hope that is a theme they hammer upon repeatedly. Can you imagine in the modern political climate how many people in and out of government that would question the legitimacy of a non-elected POTUS, who happened to arise to the position from nowhere because of a arbitrary list of succession?

I was thinking that (in real life) the Vice President should always be the designated survivor for the State of the Union address. He or she really does not need to be there, and should the worst-case scenario happen, there would much more credibility to the VP assuming control of the government.

And why was the designated survivor still in Washington, DC? Should not that person be in an area that exists outside the probably kill radius of a nuclear weapon in the Megaton range?

Haha i said the same thing. Someone just bombs the capital, killing almost the entire government, and they think it's a good idea to keep the new president sitting in the White House. Hmm

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I've always been fascinated by the US Presidency and the Presidential line of Succession.

I thought the first episode was really well done.

I have to wonder that whomever it was that planned and carried out the attack on the US Capitol must be aware of the existence of the Designated Survivor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad