TV: Designated Survivor

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Just found this article that goes more in-depth into the complex situation of what would happen should something catastrophic happen during the inauguration or State of the Union.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/designated-survivor-president-succession-doomsday-plans-214271

Interesting read.

I am interested to know who exactly died in the show? Did almost all Congressmen die? Did most of the Senate die?

I think if the show lasts for more then a season a big part of it might be a huge emergency National election to fill the Senate and Congress and to elect a new President within a few months. How many on the Supreme Court are dead?

They mention the "surviving" joint chiefs of staff in the premiere. And trying to contact them.

Lots of issues to sort out.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I thought it was a solid premiere. Liked that it got going almost immediately.

Initial thoughts about who was involved from the 'inside' are the First Lady, and the guy who was point man for the Keifer off the hop, the one who wouldn't allow his chief of staff into see the President. They just struck me the wrong way. I think they may have been or are having an affair. They have a villainous vibe to them, but that's just my initial gut feeling.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I thought it was a solid premiere. Liked that it got going almost immediately.

Initial thoughts about who was involved from the 'inside' are the First Lady, and the guy who was point man for the Keifer off the hop, the one who wouldn't allow his chief of staff into see the President. They just struck me the wrong way. I think they may have been or are having an affair. They have a villainous vibe to them, but that's just my initial gut feeling.

It better not be as silly as lots of the later seasons of 24 were with Presidential conspiracies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thought it was a decent pilot. There's no way the new first lady was involved for those suggesting that though, at least not because her husband was told he was going to be reassigned to a lesser job that morning, you can't plan to bomb a place that quickly

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Without getting too political here I thought including the anti Muslim sentiment and the governor's lack of respect to the President was a good element to show because realistically that would happen. The only cheesy part of the episode for me was when everyone in the press got the same video of the teen being beaten and then all interrupting the president mod speech.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Without getting too political here I thought including the anti Muslim sentiment and the governor's lack of respect to the President was a good element to show because realistically that would happen. The only cheesy part of the episode for me was when everyone in the press got the same video of the teen being beaten and then all interrupting the president mod speech.

I agree with you. I thought they were two solid elements to the episode. And I especially respected that they went with the Northern State Governor instead of a typical Southern State one who's looking to rebuff the Federal Gov't.

Overall, a pretty entertaining episode that built well off the premiere.

I wonder who the survivor is as well. Pretty good cliffhanger for Ep3.

likewall32

**putt meem hear**
Feb 6, 2006
Central PA
I agree with you. I thought they were two solid elements to the episode. And I especially respected that they went with the Northern State Governor instead of a typical Southern State one who's looking to rebuff the Federal Gov't.

Overall, a pretty entertaining episode that built well off the premiere.

I wonder who the survivor is as well. Pretty good cliffhanger for Ep3.

With the Michigan governor, it was cool that they took from real life (Dearborn having a huge Muslim population). My immediate thought was that it was also a jab at the actual Governor of Michigan, who has proven himself to be a major slimeball with regards to the Flint water crisis.

For the survivor at the end, the film degree part of my brain says it has to be somebody who would supercede President Kirkman in the chain of command because that would cause the most drama/conflict, although if that person is healthy, they'd be able to take over and the show would be finished :laugh:. Chances are, if it's really someone like that, then they're somehow incapacitated to the point where they cannot fulfill the duties of President.

It'd be more likely to be a mid-level Senator, and the conflict can still remain of elected official vs appointed for who is more qualified to be the President, although since from the previews it seems like they're gonna try to use that angle to a degree with the Republican designated survivor (the senator from somewhere), maybe not that.

Hell, it's probably somebody completely inconsequential to the government, somebody's aide or adult child or something because that's how most cliffhangers work. :laugh:

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
With the Michigan governor, it was cool that they took from real life (Dearborn having a huge Muslim population). My immediate thought was that it was also a jab at the actual Governor of Michigan, who has proven himself to be a major slimeball with regards to the Flint water crisis.

For the survivor at the end, the film degree part of my brain says it has to be somebody who would supercede President Kirkman in the chain of command because that would cause the most drama/conflict, although if that person is healthy, they'd be able to take over and the show would be finished :laugh:. Chances are, if it's really someone like that, then they're somehow incapacitated to the point where they cannot fulfill the duties of President.

It'd be more likely to be a mid-level Senator, and the conflict can still remain of elected official vs appointed for who is more qualified to be the President, although since from the previews it seems like they're gonna try to use that angle to a degree with the Republican designated survivor (the senator from somewhere), maybe not that.

Hell, it's probably somebody completely inconsequential to the government, somebody's aide or adult child or something because that's how most cliffhangers work. :laugh:

So many good points here. Glad that you're a watcher like me. :handclap:

I agree totally about the show taking a page from reality when it comes to the slimeball Michigan Governor, and the muslim community in Michigan. I mean it makes so much sense, that it would be ground zero of intolerance and backlash if something like in the show happened. Good call.

Completely agree with you on the 'survivor' too. Makes so much sense. But, I wonder who it would be that could challenge him but not be so close to the Presidency where it was an automatic kinda deal. Maybe Secretary? Maybe Senator? Man, there's so much intrigue about it. But, the fact that one was legally and officially sworn in complicates the issues. It could be someone higher in the food chain than he is, but now that he's sworn in you can't really takeies backsies, right?

Man, this show makes you think...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Just finished the 2nd ep...even better than the 1st. I'm completely hooked with this show and Keifer is doing an amazing job with his role.

Haha, yea i agree. That part was kinda annoying.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Watched the third episode tonight. Thought it was just ok. Too much stuff going on. Seems predictable. I was loving the first two episodes. Hope that the show gets better and isn't going to be a cheesy predictable show.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yeah, seems to be a lot of stuff going on, maybe extending the stories a bit much tonight.

I like the premise of the show, but I feel it could easily slip away quickly (see Revolution)

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Watched the third episode tonight. Thought it was just ok. Too much stuff going on. Seems predictable. I was loving the first two episodes. Hope that the show gets better and isn't going to be a cheesy predictable show.

I agree they had way too many storylines going on. They should have just focused on the White house hack and the survivor discovery. The chief of staff getting dirt at the end was a predictable, mind you he could just be doing research on his new boss to make sure he's ready for any other surprises but still, the chief of staff walking alone on a bridge at night doesn't exactly say "nothing innocent is happening here"

I'm intrigued to see what happens next week, hopefully they just focus on 1-2 main storylines. It seems like the general has finally lost his patience, although that was bound to happen.

likewall32

**putt meem hear**
Feb 6, 2006
Central PA
So many good points here. Glad that you're a watcher like me. :handclap:

I agree totally about the show taking a page from reality when it comes to the slimeball Michigan Governor, and the muslim community in Michigan. I mean it makes so much sense, that it would be ground zero of intolerance and backlash if something like in the show happened. Good call.

Completely agree with you on the 'survivor' too. Makes so much sense. But, I wonder who it would be that could challenge him but not be so close to the Presidency where it was an automatic kinda deal. Maybe Secretary? Maybe Senator? Man, there's so much intrigue about it. But, the fact that one was legally and officially sworn in complicates the issues. It could be someone higher in the food chain than he is, but now that he's sworn in you can't really takeies backsies, right?

Man, this show makes you think...

Jeez, that whole big write up and didn't even think about the scenario that the survivor may have been in on it. Some in depth answer that was. :laugh:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yeah certain people bring to life real life politicians. Hope this doesn't violate any rules on talking politics, just observations, not trying to turn this political.

The Governor of Michigan could definitely draw some comparisons to current Republican Governors, even real life Michigan Governor Rick Snyder.

Kimble Hookstraten seems like a Hillary Clinton type, who knows what to say in front of the media but also has a significant thirst for power.

I also have a hard time remembering this isn't 24, and Kiefer's character is quite different from Jack. I guess Kiefer kind of has been typecast as Jack Bauer

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Something that's bugging me about the show is that if something like this WERE to happen, they'd make sure that a new VP (at least) is put forth as quickly as possible, and then the rest of the Cabinet.

In a wartime scenario where the Congress and all of Cabinet is wiped out, not having a new line of succession started basically immediately is just asking for massive, massive chaos.

I like the show though. :)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Something that's bugging me about the show is that if something like this WERE to happen, they'd make sure that a new VP (at least) is put forth as quickly as possible, and then the rest of the Cabinet.

In a wartime scenario where the Congress and all of Cabinet is wiped out, not having a new line of succession started basically immediately is just asking for massive, massive chaos.

I like the show though. :)

Finally got around to seeing the 3rd ep, again very good so i'm glad it is sustaining it's momentum. I don't feel like there is too much going on either...aside from the sons drug dealing BS storyline everything has flowed pretty well. Keifer is doing an amazing job with his role, glad to see him succeeding with another star role since 24.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad