NFL: Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans and has asked for a trade

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Some people in this thread are accusing Easterby of lying.

I just want to remind all of you that Jesus is watching you.
Well, I think unleavened footballs are QUITE the norm where he came from. ;)

And Gatorade is the wine of football players.

Brady is the son
Belichick is the father
Kraft's massage parlor the Holy Spirit.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I want to preface this by saying...

Jacksonville shouldn't trade Lawrence for Watson. Jags would be giving up four years of a stud QB on a rookie deal for a very good, not great, QB making 40 million per year. Jacksonville gets a few years to really build a team around Lawrence. Not so with Watson.

Would Houston offer him to the Jags for their #1 pick? If so, would Jacksonville even take it?

The Patriots traded Bledsoe in the division. It has happened.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I want to preface this by saying...

Jacksonville shouldn't trade Lawrence for Watson. Jags would be giving up four years of a stud QB on a rookie deal for a very good, not great, QB making 40 million per year. Jacksonville gets a few years to really build a team around Lawrence. Not so with Watson.

Would Houston offer him to the Jags for their #1 pick? If so, would Jacksonville even take it?

The Patriots traded Bledsoe in the division. It has happened.

Lawrence is one of the best prospects we've ever seen, he'll likely be even better than Watson but at least with Deshaun you already know what you have/what you're getting. Khan probably says no as both will have huge impacts on the team & he will save a lot of money having Lawrence under centre.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lawrence is one of the best prospects we've ever seen, he'll likely be even better than Watson but at least with Deshaun you already know what you have/what you're getting. Khan probably says no as both will have huge impacts on the team & he will save a lot of money having Lawrence under centre.
Only way Houston trades Watson in the division is to obtain Lawrence. Plus with Lawrence, Jax wouldn't have to give up multiple first round picks on top. And Houston could sell that deal to their fans. It's a rebuild, but we have a franchise QB coming back.

Other teams like Miami, SF, etc. you're looking at a combination of 3 firsts, 2 seconds, 1-2 roster players depending on who those roster players are.

I don't think Jax is ready for that big step. You get 4 years of Lawrence for around $30 million. Watson, over the same 4 years will cost you $110 million give or take.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
as a Jags fan, I would be absolutely livid if we traded Lawrence (let alone other picks) for Watson who would probably just act like a babby and demand out in 2-years tops.

put up with a lot of shit over the years with this team, but trading whatever Lawrence will be for a primadonna QB who will likely bail on a medicore small market team would be unforgivable.

Our ship has finally come in, best not to sabotage it by trading out of a once in a decade opportunity for a QB who is so good he led his team to a whole 3-more wins than us last year

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
as a Jags fan, I would be absolutely livid if we traded Lawrence (let alone other picks) for Watson who would probably just act like a babby and demand out in 2-years tops.

put up with a lot of shit over the years with this team, but trading whatever Lawrence will be for a primadonna QB who will likely bail on a medicore small market team would be unforgivable.

Our ship has finally come in, best not to sabotage it by trading out of a once in a decade opportunity for a QB who is so good he led his team to a whole 3-more wins than us last year
London Jaguars can't be a thing soon enough.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

It's like you woke up and decided whether you could finally have the dumbest take in this thread. Don't think you're quite there but it's a valiant effort.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
It's like you woke up and decided whether you could finally have the dumbest take in this thread. Don't think you're quite there but it's a valiant effort.
seems I hit a nerve. what was it?

was it the part about how he would bail on Jacksonville first chance he would get (not his fault we're small market it's just the reality)

or was it fact how we had our worst season in franchise history and the Texans with Watson who started all 16 games only managed 3 more wins than us?

no thanks. I'll take my chances on Lawrence + the theoretical other picks.
With Lawrence, we have the chance to be contenders for the next 15-years if he is as good as he projects.
Put Watson on our team, what are we? a 5-to-6 win team for 2 years until he gets tired of it and wants to move.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
as a Jags fan

giphy.gif

Agree with you that rebuilding Jags make no sense for Watson

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

was it the part about how he would bail on Jacksonville first chance he would get (not his fault we're small market it's just the reality)

or was it fact how we had our worst season in franchise history and the Texans with Watson who started all 16 games only managed 3 more wins than us?

With Lawrence, we have the chance to be contenders for the next 15-years if he is as good as he projects.
Put Watson on our team, what are we? a 5-to-6 win team for 2 years until he gets tired of it and wants to move.

For sure Jacksonville should keep Lawrence. But calling Watson a 'babby' and a diva is moronic and little more than expecting a star QB to be a bootlicker.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Market size doesn't matter to the NFL or NFL players. Aaron Rodgers plays in the smallest market of any pro sports team in the country, and he gets as much national exposure and endorsements as anyone in the NFL. Players don't ask to get moved to big cities because market size doesn't affect winning the same way it does with sports like hockey and baseball.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Wow the owner of a team lied? Thats NEVER happened before :amazed:

:facepalm:

It's moreso what they lied about, that Watson would have a say in the new offensive coordinator. As an analogy: say you're hired as a manager of a McDonald's and you're told you can choose, or at least get final say, over who your assistant managers. But when you show up day 1 you find corporate lied and has installed their own slate of assistant managers without your input or consent.

Except here it isn't just the ignominy that your opinion wasn't sought or that you're not allowed a say in the decision process or that they flat out went back on their word, for Watson the OC will be calling his plays- so Watson's health is directly on the line. And not to beat around the bush, but as a black quarterback who scrambled a lot in college this actually matters a lot, in whether he has a long career like Brady or Rodgers or Rivers or Big Ben or etc, or ends up like Cam Newton.

Ownership screwed up here. OC's are a dime a dozen, televangelists even more so, franchise quarterbacks are rare and difficult to acquire. The televangelist must be one smooth talker.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Market size doesn't matter to the NFL or NFL players. Aaron Rodgers plays in the smallest market of any pro sports team in the country, and he gets as much national exposure and endorsements as anyone in the NFL. Players don't ask to get moved to big cities because market size doesn't affect winning the same way it does with sports like hockey and baseball.
I heard one of the reasons why stars in NBA prefer to play in big market is because shoe companies they endorse often push them to play in big markets.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Watson is just exercising his right as a modern day franchise QB as far as I'm concerned. A top 5ish QB just has so much leverage these days. Most will be worth at least a half billion dollars or more by the time they retire. Whether it's deserved or not, the elite guys will always be mostly in charge. The smart ones will listen to their GM, but in this case Deshaun is rightfully skeptical. Texans are a clown show.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That's because those big market NBA teams get priority on national broadcasts. The same isn't true of the NFL to the same degree.
I do think it’s a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy with the NBA, since they got used to marketing a few players at a time during the Bird, Magic, Jordan heyday. All guys who were drafted by big market teams. Meanwhile, they didn’t have trouble generating interest in Cleveland during LeBron’s stints there.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Big markets in the NBA isn’t a myth but it isn’t like some monolith either. Yeah, there are players who force their way to big markets, but the NBA has been perfectly fine with New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia being irrelevant during a time when Golden State, San Antonio, and Oklahoma City were/are big players.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Even from outside observers, the writing was on the wall back in September 2020 that the Texans organization was a bit of a clown-show. It didn't become a clown-show overnight or over a couple of months. The signs have been there for awhile.

So why did Watson sign a contract extension with them?

Regardless of how dysfunctional the Texans front-office is, I don't think Watson looks very good here.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Even from outside observers, the writing was on the wall back in September 2020 that the Texans organization was a bit of a clown-show. It didn't become a clown-show overnight or over a couple of months. The signs have been there for awhile.

So why did Watson sign a contract extension with them?

Regardless of how dysfunctional the Texans front-office is, I don't think Watson looks very good here.
If I offer you a $156MM, $111MM guaranteed, contract to come to my pig farm to shovel shit, do you take it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad