NFL: Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans and has asked for a trade

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans sold him a fake bill of goods with that extension.

They already straight up lied to him once when they said he'd have a say in hires when he didn't.

I don't blame Watson. If the Texans are dumb enough to hand control over to a f***ing preacher then players have every right to ask out. JJ Watt was the heart of that franchise and is like the ideal leader of a team and even he's fed up.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
The key is what would be an acceptable return?
Not only that it must be a return from a team that Watson approves.
Its ugly from every direction , He signed his deal so play it out or retire.Unless someone ponys up something crazy but I dont see it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

I strongly dislike the "he signed the deal so now he's stuck here forever" logic. Sometime shit changes and the place you thought would be fine to spend your career ends up being a shithole.

The Texans could easily fix this if they fired their jackass preacher/GM but they choose not to. Therefore, Watson has a right to ask out.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

I strongly dislike the "he signed the deal so now he's stuck here forever" logic. Sometime shit changes and the place you thought would be fine to spend your career ends up being a shithole.

The Texans could easily fix this if they fired their jackass preacher/GM but they choose not to. Therefore, Watson has a right to ask out.

Sure, I agree with you but the Texans also just cant give him away because he wants to go.

Reactions: Voight

The Burdened

May 1, 2017

Absolutely 100% it's his right.
and the Houston Texans have the right to decline his trade request. They are under no obligation.

He has no leverage. Let him retire and pay back millions.
They were trash with him and will be trash without him

Reactions: Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I strongly dislike a player asking for trade and then demanding team honor a NTC list

If you demand trade you should not have right to dictate what team your sent to

If I was Texans ownership I would advise him that we were unable to meet a trade request to any of his desired locations and that until he expands list we cant move forward with trade talks

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

This organization is screwwwwwwwwed.

new_texans_logo_released

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I strongly dislike a player asking for trade and then demanding team honor a NTC list

If I was Texans ownership I would advise him that we were unable to meet a trade request to any of his desired locations and that until he expands list we cant move forward with trade talks
There’s the business side of things in that once he signed that deal and with the guaranteed money he signed for it is extremely difficult to move that contract for the team given the amount of dead cap. Ryan, Wentz, Goff, Rodgers and co are in the same boat for guys who have been rumoured to maybe be moved.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

They also said they "have a plan and clear vision for watson" in the press conference and it starts with honest and open communication.

That might be just the most tonedeaf thing i've heard in a long time given a good part of this was started by not properly communicating with Watson as he found out about organizational moves over social media...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There is no winning this as the Texans. How successfully do you think your team is going to be if the QB doesn't show up to learn the new offensive system until he gets docked in actual game checks (I know he gets fined for missing training camp)? What type of tone does that set for your organization? If you are trading him, don't you want to move on when you know his value is high, and you know the actual draft picks you are getting slot wise? Honestly. Watson could just take the training camp fines, show up a day before the season, and say I don't know the terminology or any of the playbook.

Feel bad for Texans fans, but the organization so horribly botched this it is ridiculous.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
As Urinatingtree put it in his "Houston, the city that sold their soul", the succubus still tortures the local sports fans for that tainted World Series title.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

They also said they "have a plan and clear vision for watson" in the press conference and it starts with honest and open communication.

That might be just the most tonedeaf thing i've heard in a long time given a good part of this was started by not properly communicating with Watson as he found out about organizational moves over social media...

Posturing

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There is no winning this as the Texans. How successfully do you think your team is going to be if the QB doesn't show up to learn the new offensive system until he gets docked in actual game checks (I know he gets fined for missing training camp)? What type of tone does that set for your organization? If you are trading him, don't you want to move on when you know his value is high, and you know the actual draft picks you are getting slot wise? Honestly. Watson could just take the training camp fines, show up a day before the season, and say I don't know the terminology or any of the playbook.

Feel bad for Texans fans, but the organization so horribly botched this it is ridiculous.
They don’t want to appear weak in their position. They need to extract maximum value for Watson plus they will get hit with a dead cap charge so they may also want Watson and the other team to work out a situation where Watson returns some of his signing bonus and the acquiring team then gives him that SB back to make Watson whole and thus lessen Houston’s dead cap charge.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I think we don't know enough about where it is Watson would waive his no trade clause to go to say whether it matters at all.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think we don't know enough about where it is Watson would waive his no trade clause to go to say whether it matters at all.

NFL trades are also about cap hits and dead money. Fortunately, for Houston, his dead cap for 2021 to them is only $5.6 million, which eases the burden on them. At the end of the day, Houston needs a list of 3-5 teams that he will accept a trade to. Both sides have to be reasonable in order to complete a trade.

Watson can't come to them and say Miami or bust for example. And Houston, I wouldn't just look at draft picks, I'd eye a player who has a year or two left on their rookie contract, in addition to a couple of first round picks.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I agree. There's always been a very strong anti-player sentiment among fans who are jealous of how much players make, but the old "honor your agreement" stuff is a strange stance to take here when Texans ownership clearly isn't holding up its end of the agreement.

The owner lied to Watson about how the team would be run. Whether it is smart to bring your young QB into GM search discussions is one thing, but failing to honor your promise to that QB about involving him in the GM search is going to piss him off. As will lying to that QB about the role a shady motivational preacher will have in running the team. Watson is right to want out. Texans ownership didn't honor their agreement with Watson, so he has every reason to want out.

Reactions: member 51464

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad