Post-Game Talk: Deserved it?!?!?!? Bruins-3, Penguins-2 (Mod Warning #14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think James Neal is a punk. He just has a short fuse. He's wired very similar to Geno that way. He takes his fair share of abuse from the other team because of how good a player he is. His responses to it sometimes go overboard. It did last night.

It has a lot to do with the fact they take the abuse and nothings called a lot. I like to call it the nervous tick, they are always ready to unload on someone, like when a player is getting near them just as the whistle blows and they have the puck I've seen Neal twitch towards that player. They're wound up very much so that they're targets game in and game out. Geno/Neal as you've said.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
I don't think James Neal is a punk. He just has a short fuse. He's wired very similar to Geno that way. He takes his fair share of abuse from the other team because of how good a player he is. His responses to it sometimes go overboard. It did last night.

well, i think Neal is a punk.

i'm glad that punk is playing for the Penguins.

jstaal

go canes go
Apr 14, 2009
mass
Please, both teams are bullies, Thornton will get the suspension, i would give 15 games, and who chopped at kelly, hes out about 6 weeks.. No choirboys on either side..

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It has a lot to do with the fact they take the abuse and nothings called a lot. I like to call it the nervous tick, they are always ready to unload on someone, like when a player is getting near them just as the whistle blows and they have the puck I've seen Neal twitch towards that player. They're wound up very much so that they're targets game in and game out. Geno/Neal as you've said.
Good points, Ugene Malkin.
well, i think Neal is a punk.

i'm glad that punk is playing for the Penguins.
:laugh: Either way. I'm glad he's here too.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Where did I support Marchand? And, even if I had, Neal cannot be a punk because Marchand is? :laugh: I guess that's as laughable as B's fans "objectivity"??

Eriksson hadn't touched the puck, Orpik launches at him, and leaves his skates (Rule 48). The video is everywhere and it clearly shows this happen.

I can only imagine the outrage here if that had been Seidenberg or Boychuk hitting Crosby in the same way...

Sorry, but you're getting into trolling territory....

Read this article by Kerry Fraser. I hope you know who he is. That should clear up any misconception of the hit by Orpik.

Beyond that, in hockey, you don't set up your player with a pass from behind that leads him being in a head-down situation like that. If this was in the 90s, Scott Stevens (in the same situation) would have taken Ericksson's head off! Literally! Orpik did the correct legal play by going shoulder on shoulder, and no he didn't jump.

You're just complaining about a 1/4 second difference in timing. That's weak!

If you remember this hit...Lucic clearly nails Orpik into the boards between the numbers, you didn't get any complaints from Penguins fans:

As for Crosby getting injured....
Here look at this...

Pens fans weren't complaining about Steckal's hit, but more about the fact that the trainers/doctors let him play with a concussion that wasn't fully healed.

You guys shouldn't have let Ericksson back into the lineup until he was completely cleared to handle a hard hit, which obviously he wasn't.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Please, both teams are bullies, Thornton will get the suspension, i would give 15 games, and who chopped at kelly, hes out about 6 weeks.. No choirboys on either side..
Dupuis chopped Kelly. A lot of people here are demanding a season long suspension for Dupuis. He's quite the whipping boy around these parts. :laugh:

I don't think he chopped Kelly on purpose though. He was wildly swinging at a loose puck and hit Kelly on the ankle.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
In this article, Fraser points to a few non-calls that really escalated things. The Bs started playing really dirty after the hit and the refs were letting it go, which made the Pens have to "police themselves". I guarantee if the refs call what Fraser says they should have there is no knee and no assault:

At the 2:42 mark, Chris Kelly was allowed to shove Chris Connor to the ice from behind at the red line with a cross-check motion deserving of an interference penalty. On a subsequent shift, Kelly again took a charge at Connor and delivered a high finish hit that should have resulted in a timely call.

While a roughing minor was assessed to Shawn Thornton for popping Orpik a couple times in the face at 5:44, a prime opportunity to douse the flames was indeed missed by the referee by not adding a 10-minute misconduct to Thornton for his attempts to incite a fight with Orpik. That penalty, in addition to a 'conference' needed with Bruins head coach Claude Julien would have sent a strong and clear message where the control in the game rested! The game was very unsettled at this point and you didn't have to be on the ice to feel it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438513

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
none. It happened too fast, and Engo was in the penalty box when it happened.

Ah. Just remember seeing seeing Letang pulling Thornton off of Orpik and thinking this wouldn't have happened if Engo were on that pairing.

Thornton was pretty calculating in picking his spot.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
You really think Engelland is going to prevent this kind of thing from happening? He may be a tough guy, but if a grown man wants to jump another grown man, nobody is going to stop him. Thornton's not afraid of Engelland. :laugh:

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
You really think Engelland is going to prevent this kind of thing from happening? He may be a tough guy, but if a grown man wants to jump another grown man, nobody is going to stop him. Thornton's not afraid of Engelland. :laugh:

Shawn Thornton is such a washed-up enforcer that he probably wouldn't have gone after Orpik if he fought Engelland.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'm not saying Thornton is afraid of Engelland, I'm saying Engo has a habit of getting things to simmer down by keeping a constant eye on and intercepting would-be disturbers. We've seen it more than enough times to know it happens.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm not saying Thornton is afraid of Engelland, I'm saying Engo has a habit of getting things to simmer down by keeping a constant eye on and intercepting would-be disturbers. We've seen it more than enough times to know it happens.

You said it, though. Thornton was calculated in going after Orpik, he waited until there was no Engelland there. There wasn't any stopping Thornton.

Which is why enforcers won't do **** in a situation like that, players like Thornton need to be removed to stop things like this happening.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You said it, though. Thornton was calculated in going after Orpik, he waited until there was no Engelland there. There wasn't any stopping Thornton.

Which is why enforcers won't do **** in a situation like that, players like Thornton need to be removed to stop things like this happening.

...well, Engelland was in the box. If he weren't and the two were paired together, then I'm gonna suggest the opportunity for something like that would be very limited.

I'm not saying we always have to ice an enforcer because of things like this, I'm saying that it could have been useful in this particular situation.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I would like to understand your thought process here...:shakehead

If you read the post it says a minimum of 5 games for Thornton and 5 total for Neal. Not sure what is hard to understand about that, but you did bold only the 5 games for both out of context in my post.

heretik27 is a Bruins fan. Or maybe a Jets fan. Hard to tell from his post history.

And, I'm not so sure it was Neal's intent to knee him in the head. I've watched the replays a few times. Neal was moving in that direction before Marchand flopped trying to draw a penalty on Crosby. Crosby was moving his stick for the puck, not Marchand's feet to trip him, so Neal was moving towards the play before Marchand went down and just lay there.

As for the actual contact, I've pulled it into Photoshop and looked at it frame by frame. Yes, Neal was skating too close to Marchand, but looking at it frame by frame it appears that Neal skates into Marchand's gloves/hands and Marchand uses that to spin around. I can't really tell anything for sure because the only angles I can find are straight on either from the front or the side, and the quality of the videos aren't good enough to tell the difference between a black glove and a black skate when you zoom in.

I'm not denying it was stupid for Neal to skate that close to a player that's down on the ice. He didn't alter his course though, he didn't go out of his way to get that close to Marchand. Did Neal mean to connect with him in some way? I don't know, but it sure looks like Marchand was selling and people are buying.

Neal should have altered his course and skated around him, that's the long and short of it. But I don't know that it was as heinous as people are trying to make it out to be. Shanaban and crew will have high quality video from lots of angles and better technology than I have, so it will be interesting to see what they decide.

I'm from Winnipeg, and last season when Iggy made his way over here I cheered the Pens on. I'm not really overly attached to any team, but I do cheer for many (played against a few players and grew up with another). So if you're trying to bash my opinion on a game that went all to hell based on the fact that I enjoy watching Boston play too then go ahead. The message was simple, this chippy, cheap shot horse**** needs to go.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
...well, Engelland was in the box. If he weren't and the two were paired together, then I'm gonna suggest the opportunity for something like that would be very limited.

I'm not saying we always have to ice an enforcer because of things like this, I'm saying that it could have been useful in this particular situation.

And I'm saying that Thornton would have waited until Engelland wasn't there, which he did. If it hadn't been the penalty it would have been something else. The situation went beyond anything an enforcer could have deterred.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

You know what else would have prevented it... Thorton having the decency not to attack a guy from behind when play was totally dead

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
In this article, Fraser points to a few non-calls that really escalated things. The Bs started playing really dirty after the hit and the refs were letting it go, which made the Pens have to "police themselves". I guarantee if the refs call what Fraser says they should have there is no knee and no assault:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438513

I was just finishing reading that, I agree.

If you remember the Penalty Marchand took against, Maatta? There's that play and then two others right after he got out of the box throwing dirty hits from behind.

That teams a ticking time-bomb. I mentioned as much more so about, Marchand.
I don't just hate him as a player, I hate him as a human being as well. The dude crosses the line at will.

The refs really had no real control or how to contain control of the game.

jstaal

go canes go
Apr 14, 2009
mass
this

Exactly. Get this crap out of hockey please.
Yes! Thornton took Orpik down, and was slamming his head against ice, not real hard, or we are talking about a serious head injury.. and only going to get 5 games???? SAD P.S I am a Hurricanes fan and remember Orpik breaking Coles neck...

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Kelly's ankle must be made of glass if a Dupuis followthrough broke it.

Are we sure he didn't block a shot around the same time frame?

jstaal

go canes go
Apr 14, 2009
mass
HA

I was just finishing reading that, I agree.

If you remember the Penalty Marchand took against, Maatta? There's that play and then two others right after he got out of the box throwing dirty hits from behind.

That teams a ticking time-bomb. I mentioned as much more so about, Marchand.
I don't just hate him as a player, I hate him as a human being as well. The dude crosses the line at will.

The refs really had no real control or how to contain control of the game.
Marchand.. the human ball of hate..

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yes! Thornton took Orpik down, and was slamming his head against ice, not real hard, or we are talking about a serious head injury.. and only going to get 5 games???? SAD P.S I am a Hurricanes fan and remember Orpik breaking Coles neck...

1) How do you know what kind of head injury Orpik has? I've yet to read any update. Since you have an in, do you mind letting the rest of us know? Thanks, doc.

2) How do you equate Orpik breaking Cole's neck on a hockey hit (even if somewhat questionable) to pulling down a player from behind, after the whistle, and punching his face against the ice?

3) How do you know how hard he was punching?

You seem to be throwing around a lot of shaky opinions as facts, and it seems pretty clear that your shaky opinions are clouded by your dislike for Brooks Orpik over the Eric Cole incident.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
1) How do you know what kind of head injury Orpik has? I've yet to read any update. Since you have an in, do you mind letting the rest of us know? Thanks, doc.

2) How do you equate Orpik breaking Cole's neck on a hockey hit (even if somewhat questionable) to pulling down a player from behind, after the whistle, and punching his face against the ice?

3) How do you know how hard he was punching?

You seem to be throwing around a lot of shaky opinions as facts, and it seems pretty clear that your shaky opinions are clouded by your dislike for Brooks Orpik over the Eric Cole incident.

I read the post you quoted as that person being against Thorton's antics despite not being a big fan of Orpik due to no. 2...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I understand why people don't like Marchand, but face it.. if he was on this team people would love the guy. What I want to know is, whereTF is our Marchand? I thought we had one in the making with Uher / Kuhnhackl? Instead of playing Engo at F maybe we ought to give one of these kids a few games? NAHHHH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad