Post-Game Talk: Deserved it?!?!?!? Bruins-3, Penguins-2 (Mod Warning #14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
What's a little humourous is that there were 10 other games last night and I still have NO IDEA what happened in any of them.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
What's a little humourous is that there were 10 other games last night and I still have NO IDEA what happened in any of them.

When I was watching TSN I don't think they even showed any of the goals on the game highlights package. :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
My Thoughts on last night:
Orpik hit on Loui was completely fine. Neal's knee to Marchand's head,despite my and your hope/belief that it wasn't, was pretty clearly intentional. Thornton's attack on Orpik was awful and better get 10+ games, I don't care how bad he felt afterwards. You don't drag a guy down to the ground from behind and punch him in the head multiple times and not have to suffer some serious consequences.

Ps what the heck?? How do you give up 2 goals in the last two minutes of the game!!??

B's fan (obviously)...

1) Thought that Orpik should have gotten at least two, probably more. Eriksson had not even touched the puck when he was hit plus Orpik left his feet and launched at him.

2) Neal has always been a punk. Has nothing to do with PIT, he was a punk when he was in DAL also.

3) Thornton absolutely should get suspended and his actions crossed the line. In all honesty, though, it looked as if most of the damage may have come from Letang's skate and not Thornton? Also, if Orpik answers the bell with either Thornton or Hamilton (who he probably beats), the later incident never happens. Whether you believe the hit was clean or dirty, in the moment, without benefit of replay, the B's obviously thought it wasn't, and were looking for some retribution. Orpik simply wrestling with either of those guys would have taken care of that. Like I said, doesn't excuse Thornton's going after him when he was down, and he will get suspended for that. Guessing 7 or 8 games.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 2m
Julien just said that he disagrees with Bylsma's assessment and that Orpik's hit on Eriksson was illegal.

No surprise there really.

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 5m
Claude Julien: "Thorny did cross the line, and some others did too. You have to man up to those things, and I think he did."

Yeah, he really "manned up". :shakehead

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 22s
Julien on Thornton apology: "He’s being truthful. That's more than we can say about players that pretend that it wasn’t done on purpose."

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 16m
Julien took a swipe at Neal by noting that Thornton apologized. "More than we can say about players that pretend it wasn't on purpose"

He then deflects it by trying to move the blame to Neal. Nice try. That was a bad hit but it doesn't excuse Thornton.

Just.....

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
B's fan (obviously)...

1) Thought that Orpik should have gotten at least two, probably more. Eriksson had not even touched the puck when he was hit plus Orpik left his feet and launched at him.

2) Neal has always been a punk. Has nothing to do with PIT, he was a punk when he was in DAL also.

3) Thornton absolutely should get suspended and his actions crossed the line. In all honesty, though, it looked as if most of the damage may have come from Letang's skate and not Thornton? Also, if Orpik answers the bell with either Thornton or Hamilton (who he probably beats), the later incident never happens. Whether you believe the hit was clean or dirty, in the moment, without benefit of replay, the B's obviously thought it wasn't, and were looking for some retribution. Orpik simply wrestling with either of those guys would have taken care of that. Like I said, doesn't excuse Thornton's going after him when he was down, and he will get suspended for that. Guessing 7 or 8 games.

I stopped reading when you suggested that Orpik's hit probably should have been a major.

I love the dynamic by Bruins fans that somehow by not defending the indefensible and acknowledge that Thornton should be suspended that if demonstrates some objectivity.

And seriously, I don't want to hear anyone who supports Marchand call anyone else a punk.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
As if Neal would admit to a play where he was trying to get a sneaky lick in.

If Chara was asked if he punched Crosby while Bergeron was holding him last year, he'd probably smile and say "i'd have to watch the replay. I don't remember it"

The Neal-Marchand play was just below a guy swinging an elbow to a guys head imo.

penguins2946*

B's fan (obviously)...

That's completely false. It was a shoulder to the chest while Orpik stayed on the ice. Eriksson also touched the puck. Any penalty on that would have been stupid.

Neal is a *****, I think most Pens fans agree with that.

1. To suggest that Letang's skate did the damage and not Thornton is being blinded by homerism
2. Orpik should not have to answer the bell on a clean hit, especially when the Pens are down 2 top-4 D already
3. If Thornton needs to assault Orpik for that, regardless of whether the hit is clean or not, he needs psychiatric help
4. If the Bruins wanted to get retribution, hitting him a lot is a lot cleaner than assaulting him.

Also, to Jullien's comments, he can go shove some more doughnuts in his hole.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
As if Neal would admit to a play where he was trying to get a sneaky lick in.

If Chara was asked if he punched Crosby while Bergeron was holding him last year, he'd probably smile and say "i'd have to watch the replay. I don't remember it"

The Neal-Marchand play was just below a guy swinging an elbow to a guys head imo.

Chara said he didn't remember it, and said you couldn't prove it was his hand hitting Crosby.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
call me crazy, but regarding neal, i feel like there is always considerably more grey area for what happens in between the whistles as to what occurs during stoppages. neal did an idiotic thing, but it was an idiotic thing that happened while the clock was moving. thornton in a premeditated fashion went after orpik and while he undoubtedly didnt want to see him stretchered off, he fully intended to send a message.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
call me crazy, but regarding neal, i feel like there is always considerably more grey area for what happens in between the whistles as to what occurs during stoppages. neal did an idiotic thing, but it was an idiotic thing that happened while the clock was moving. thornton in a premeditated fashion went after orpik and while he undoubtedly didnt want to see him stretchered off, he fully intended to send a message.

I'm fully expecting Neal to get the 5 games, but with the way elbows and cheap shots have been let go by the league this season, I really have no clue as to what way they would lean. I wouldn't be surprised if they only sit him out for 1, or that he even talked his way out of it... I doubt it, but you never know with the inconsistancy this year.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Chara said he didn't remember it, and said you couldn't prove it was his hand hitting Crosby.

Wasn't this after TSN or somebody showed him the actual footage? Seem to recall him saying something about not being penalized on the play, too.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
B's fan (obviously)...

I keep hearing this excuse and to say it's grasping at straws is an insult to grasping at straws. Give me a break. There is exactly zero evidence that Thornton or any other Bruin would have done nothing else in the game had Orpik fought.

Maybe if the Bruin's players had a tolerance for the other team playing rough against them like they do all the time, this situation would not have happened. Funny how all the dirty stuff they pull is ok, but as soon as it's done to them...

The fact is this is solely on Thorton, there is no excuse for his actions and there is no defending it. You say this yourself then go and defend it.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa

I think there was a couple different levels of severity in that game last night.

1.) Thornton at the top for his thuggery after the whistle with clear premeditated intent. Slewfoot, plus two right crosses, all this after challenging Orpik earlier and him clearly not wanting to go.

2.) A few steps down is Neal, in-between the whistles, the intent to me, seems to be there. At least in the sense that he had time to change direction to avoid hitting Marchand and chose not to. Certainly no kicking action that would have made it worse, but to me, clearly avoidable.

3.) More than another few steps down is Dupuis' slash on Kelly. Seems like it could've certainly been a penalty, but didn't appear to be much more than a hard slash in the course of a puck battle. I don't see intent to injure on that, frankly you see that every game a few times.

4.) Way down below is Orpik making a legal check on Lou. And back to square one where a play within the rules sparks outrage. Which is ridiculous.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I stopped reading when you suggested that Orpik's hit probably should have been a major.

I love the dynamic by Bruins fans that somehow by not defending the indefensible and acknowledge that Thornton should be suspended that if demonstrates some objectivity.

And seriously, I don't want to hear anyone who supports Marchand call anyone else a punk.

Where did I support Marchand? And, even if I had, Neal cannot be a punk because Marchand is? :laugh: I guess that's as laughable as B's fans "objectivity"??

Eriksson hadn't touched the puck, Orpik launches at him, and leaves his skates (Rule 48). The video is everywhere and it clearly shows this happen.

I can only imagine the outrage here if that had been Seidenberg or Boychuk hitting Crosby in the same way...

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Where did I support Marchand? And, even if I had, Neal cannot be a punk because Marchand is? :laugh: I guess that's as laughable as B's fans "objectivity"??

Eriksson hadn't touched the puck, Orpik launches at him, and leaves his skates (Rule 48). The video is everywhere and it clearly shows this happen.

I can only imagine the outrage here if that had been Seidenberg or Boychuk hitting Crosby in the same way...

Orpik didn't leave his skates or launch himself. Good God.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Orpik didn't launch himself. He went into the air a bit after the collision, which happens all the time and is legal. Also, Eriksson touched the puck. And even if he hadn't, it doesn't matter. He made a play on the puck and the defender is allowed to hit him in that situation assuming he won't miss the pass.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You mean sort of like how if Steve Moore had fought earlier in the game, the Bertuzzi incident wouldn't have happened? Oh, wait. Moore did fight earlier against Matt Cooke. But that wasn't enough for the Canucks. Yet you think the Bruins would have let it go after that? Especially if Orpik beat Hamilton in their fight?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
B's fan (obviously)...

Keep watching it over on #1, Eriksson offered at the puck making it legal.

#2 He got suspended for a hit in Dallas and it totally changed his game where he was afraid to play the body. Lets not act like he's been this way throughout his term here so far. Also, if you watch the Pens much, these guys take just as much cheap shots against them almost on a every game basis.

No matter what, there's no excuse for what Neal did.

#3 So the forearm shiver/elbow had nothing to do with it? If you think it's only 7/8 games you severely are underestimating what Thornton did.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
B's fan (obviously)...

I hate when people say basically 'I am not making excuses for the guy' and then spend a war and peace sized paragraph doing just that. Nice touch ending it with the restatement that you are not making excuses for the guy when you just did.

I hate more when they come to another team's board to do it.

Who do you think that you are going to convince here?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think James Neal is a punk. He just has a short fuse. He's wired very similar to Geno that way. He takes his fair share of abuse from the other team because of how good a player he is. His responses to it sometimes go overboard. It did last night.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't think Neal is a punk. He just has a short fuse. He's wired very similar to Geno that way. He takes his fair share of abuse from the other team because of how good a player he is. His responses to it sometimes go overboard. It did last night.

That is a good analogy. Both can be prone to the odd boneheaded play now and then, and can be gotten off their games with their tempers.

As for the knee to the head thing, it was less 'intentional' than Steckle's concussing Crosby was. Sometimes things like that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad