Player Discussion Derick Brassard, Analytics Darling

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Nazem Kadri is the player we needed?

Does anyone remember why the Kadri for Zibanejad deal was nixed?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Nazem Kadri is the player we needed?

Does anyone remember why the Kadri for Zibanejad deal was nixed?

Murray said no. I believe it was zibanejad plus a pick.

I pushed hard for spezza for kadri + gardiner +.

I didn't know how unrealistic that was at the time though

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am not sure the Kadri we see now and the Kadri that would have developed here would be the same player

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Glad we don't have Kadri. Don't like that kid at all.

Just like you wouldn't take Marchand? I hate when people say this.

You don't like him because he is effective. Why would you not want the Sens to have an effective skilled top 6 pest?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just like you wouldn't take Marchand? I hate when people say this.

You don't like him because he is effective. Why would you not want the Sens to have an effective skilled top 6 pest?

I haven't liked the kid since his draft year, and don't care for 'pests' in general. If you can't win with honor and integrity, then you don't deserve to win.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I haven't liked the kid since his draft year, and don't care for 'pests' in general. If you can't win with honor and integrity, then you don't deserve to win.

Were you saying the same thing about Phaneuf when he was on the Leafs?

He was pretty much a pest too.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Were you saying the same thing about Phaneuf when he was on the Leafs?

He was pretty much a pest too.

Phaneuf was more of a physical guy who went a bit out of his way to be physical. Not really a pest.

Don't really care either way for Phaneuf, either. We definitely need a guy with more mobility on the 2nd pair.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Pretty much every Cup winner in the modern era had that kind of player.

"Honour" in this league is overrated.

Maybe so....still doesn't mean we have to go that low (and yes, I realize we have one of those players in Burrows...which I still don't like).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Booo. If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin.

Love the way kadri plays. Wish we were a dirtier team

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Meh.

If you aren't trying every trick in the book then you aren't very deserving either.

I'd love Kadri on Ottawa.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
You guys seem to think these pests would be able to act the exact same way as an Ottawa Senator and not get a billion PIMs.

Different teams get different standards. Take the Werenski puck to the face today. If it's Ottawa and not Pittsburgh you're kidding yourself if you don't think that play isn't blown dead before the goal is scored.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Exactly, Borowiecki lost a blade. Tough it up son and start hopping for 45 sec shorthanded. Chara loses a blade while the Sens all over the Bruins. And let's just stop the play here.

As for Brassard, I was happy when the trade happened and reading what NYR fans think of Zibby right now, I'm still very happy with the trade. He's a playoff guy, that's why we got him and we can say he's been our best forward in the first two games.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Exactly, Borowiecki lost a blade. Tough it up son and start hopping for 45 sec shorthanded. Chara loses a blade while the Sens all over the Bruins. And let's just stop the play here.

As for Brassard, I was happy when the trade happened and reading what NYR fans think of Zibby right now, I'm still very happy with the trade. He's a playoff guy, that's why we got him and we can say he's been our best forward in the first two games.

I still don't see it. Aside from the pretty goal that was 100% Erik, Brassard hasn't done much. His compete level isn't anywhere near what Rangers fans said it was.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
For a guy who is labeled as a playmaker, Brassard really isn't that great of a passer.

Which is my biggest beef. I don't care if he is not scoring or how hard he is working. He should at least be making plays and setting players up with top 6 level skills.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I still don't see it. Aside from the pretty goal that was 100% Erik, Brassard hasn't done much. His compete level isn't anywhere near what Rangers fans said it was.

Another goal and he was 75% on face-offs tonight.

That last part is so massive: winning 75% of your face-offs is huge.

He has been excellent in all three games.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Problem is that most of the time, some people don't know what kind of player the Sens are getting and then have crazy weird expectations. Do they seriously think that players change drastically going from a team to another? No, they are the same but they are trying to adjust to a new system and new teammates, so of course you can expect different results.

This trade is a wash. If you look at stats, ok Zibanejad has a slightly better pace this year (but not as good as Brassard had with the Rangers) but Brassard brings much better overall play. What a beast he has been so far against the Bruins :amazed: Anyone who doesn't think that needs to take hockey 101 classes.

I love Zibby and would have kept him in the season but now that we are in the playoffs, I take Brassard without a 2nd thought. Sweetheart of a contract too (10.0 for 3 years which is amazing for a budget team)

Zib's got good hands, he'll be a good player for sure.

Zibanejad has played 337 NHL games and 19 more in the playoffs in 5 full seasons... He is going to be the player he is now. He's probably already at 1/3 of his career.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad