Player Discussion Derick Brassard, Analytics Darling

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Interesting to see that Brassard leads the team in scoring in the postseason. He played another solid game tonight although I don't think he made it on the score sheet. Good for him showing up for the playoffs. :handclap:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Brassard had some decent plays. Bobby was probably one of my favourite forwards this game. Stalberg too. Pageau either matches up better vs NYR or is coming on.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I don't understand. So he doesn't agree with analytics with regards to Boro but agrees to it with regards to Brassard? Isn't that being hypocritical

He should just talk less. He is becoming more and more like his employer.

You said one correct thing in your post, and that was "I don't understand".

Analytics prove that Brassard is our best player just as much as analytics prove that Borowiecki is our worst. That is what he's saying.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I don't think you understood the point of my post...

The point of your post is that Dorion is a goof for accepting analytics when they agree with him but rejecting them when they don't, and my point is that you are completely misinterpreting Dorion's comment.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
He's having a great playoffs, as usual. The Sens should try to package Turris and some other pieces for someone who has the potential to be a true #1 center.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The point of your post is that Dorion is a goof for accepting analytics when they agree with him but rejecting them when they don't, and my point is that you are completely misinterpreting Dorion's comment.

I don't think he misinterpreted them at all. Dorion defends Boro against the analytics and he feels Brassard was the best forward based on things the team measures ..... pretty simple.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
You said one correct thing in your post, and that was "I don't understand".

Analytics prove that Brassard is our best player just as much as analytics prove that Borowiecki is our worst. That is what he's saying.

He wasn't agreeing with what his analytics guys concluded about Borowiecki, though.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol i hope you're joking.

:facepalm:

I swear this is the same defense used for Trump.

At the same time, what Bonk said is very true. We live in an era where everything is magnified a billion times because of stupid social networks and direct access to the information. Do you really think things were as much dramatized before? Now, we live in a drama/emo/whatever society

I love that I somehow inevitably end up defending players that I don't even like in the first place on this damned site.

I call that the curse of the Colin Greening.

He's having a great playoffs, as usual. The Sens should try to package Turris and some other pieces for someone who has the potential to be a true #1 center.

This. I really like Turris but with a new contract needed, and with White, Brown and Chlapik coming, maybe they should really try to get a true #1, even if a bit older.

Turris + prospect + 1st should net you a very good player, no? Who would be avalaible?

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's okay to like brassard because of everything he does INCLUDING strong advanced stats. But also like boro for things OTHER THAN what he contributes to advanced stats.

Still...... I no like boro.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
cut.jpg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's okay to like brassard because of everything he does INCLUDING strong advanced stats. But also like boro for things OTHER THAN what he contributes to advanced stats.

Still...... I no like boro.

I like Boro. I just think Harper and Claesson are better than him.

Having said that, he does add a dimension that for the most part our other D don't, so I get why the last 3 coaches have all liked having him in the lineup. One more tool in the toolbox, even if it's a really specific tool for specific jobs that makes it hard to do a lot of other stuff you might want to do...

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
has anyone else noticed how our 3rd pair doesn't get hemmed in the zone anymore ever since a certain someone got injured.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
has anyone else noticed how our 3rd pair doesn't get hemmed in the zone anymore ever since a certain someone got injured.

To be fair we have an entirely different third pair than we've had all season right now. Wideman probably not getting back in any time soon I am guessing.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
To be fair we have an entirely different third pair than we've had all season right now. Wideman probably not getting back in any time soon I am guessing.

I think I like Harpur-Claesson more than I like Boro-Wideman in every conceivable way. Our current 3rd pair is an upgrade across the board, if you ask me.

I've been fine with Boro's limited minutes all season because there wasn't really anyone else on the roster to do what he was specifically being asked by Boucher to do, but with the revelation that is Ben Harpur's emerging NHL game, he's clearly the guy for that spot for the foreseeable future.

That being said, if they do end up going back to Boro once he's healthy (and I imagine they will), I will be able to understand it from a "fresh legs" perspective - getting a guy midway through a 2nd round playoff series who is 100% rested does have it's advantages.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brassard handily outplayed by Zjad in the head to head series. Good first round, poor second.

How so? Brassard has 9 pts & Zibanejad has 7 pts & is now cleaning out his locker. Man, people are just NEVER satisfied. Some days you get the bounces & some days you don't, some series the puck goes in & some series it doesn't. Zibanejad scored a few goals against Ottawa & Brassard got a couple so what. It's the end result that matters, do you think anyone in the Sens org cares about that now? :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How so? Brassard has 9 pts & Zibanejad has 7 pts & is now cleaning out his locker. Man, people are just NEVER satisfied. Some days you get the bounces & some days you don't, some series the puck goes in & some series it doesn't. Zibanejad scored a few goals against Ottawa & Brassard got a couple so what. It's the end result that matters, do you think anyone in the Sens org cares about that now? :shakehead

They win a huge game to move into the conference finals & some people have to nic pic about every little thing. I assumed you were a Sens fan on this board but let me guess, are you a Rangers fan? Enjoy your summer.

Well, considering he said "head-to-head", the points are 5-1 for Zibanejad.

Point is moot, Brass is still playing for us, Zib isn't.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
LOL, sorry. I didn't mean to nitpick. Just saying that Brassard being outplayed/outscored by Zjad and making the trade look foolish is one of the few negative storylines from this great victory.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
LOL, sorry. I didn't mean to nitpick. Just saying that Brassard being outplayed/outscored by Zjad and making the trade look foolish is one of the few negative storylines from this great victory.

But it hasn't, why would we regret having the higher scorer in the playoffs? We just won the series...Zib played great at times, looked lost at others. Par the course with him. I don't see why we're complaining

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tell me something, why is that important to some people how they do head to head? Does it really measure whether one is better than the other or who wins the trade which is what seemed to be implied? I don't think so, I don't think it means anything really. What's more important is how the team does & not how individual's do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->