Player Discussion Derick Brassard, Analytics Darling

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I like how sens twitter was outraged that Dorion said based on in house analytics , brassard has been the best forward. Yet these same people will say Wideman is the 2nd best D on the team, because of analytics.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I like how sens twitter was outraged that Dorion said based on in house analytics , brassard has been the best forward. Yet these same people will say Wideman is the 2nd best D on the team, because of analytics.

Why would they be outraged? Brassard is one of our best forwards by all versions of analytics.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If your analytics say Brassard is a better forward than Stone or Hoffman, you probably shouldn't trust those analytics.

He's not even one of our best two centers.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I would even have him ranked in 3rd, but I'm a biased Pageau fan and for that I'm not ashamed.

Nothing to be ashamed about.

33 points playing in the bottom 6 with no PP time > 39 points playing in the top 6 with PP time

He's also faster, better defensively, more physical, plays PK, etc..

Pageau > Brassard is not a controversial position

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brassard's 5v5 individual Shooting percentage is way down this year, worst of his career. Bring it up to his career average and he'd have an extra 4-5 5v5 goals. He's also had his struggles on the PP, I`d like to see him back to being one of the main shooters, we force the play to Hoffman too much, mix it up a bit and get Brassard letting some one timers rip too.

Brass does a lot of little things really well, and it helps the line as a whole, but he's had his personal struggles this year. Playoffs might allow him a bit of a reset, and maybe he can start clicking again. He's one of those guys where if the flood gates open up, look out, because everything about the process has been pretty good, it`s just been the execution that`s been a touch off, and a bit of confidence goes a long way to speeding up decisions and picking corners with your shot.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
EDIT : I was looking back a bit at the old thread. I would pay a good amount to see those "in-house analytics". I think we have had access to it, it would become a bit more clear as to why Cody Ceci plays the 2nd highest minutes on the team and probably the toughest...

Popular opinions are generally just a reflection of poor analysis of basic stats without context, and the "eye test" vary WIDELY from a person to another, depending on how people understands this game of hockey (particularly for the NHL). Having read HF for a decade, I can tell you that not everybody has an exhaustive understanding of the game, even some still don't understand the heavy team concept that is hockey.

I put him on the same tier as Karlsson and Stone in terms of hockey IQ/hockey sense. His problem this season was indecisiveness, but he's playing more instinctively now.

I see a lack of chemistry with others... I believe if you want to succeed in the NHL, you need chemistry with your teammates, unless you are an Elite player like Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman or maybe Ryan in his prime, then you are the one creating chemistry.

The "traded a Swede for him" effect.

lol hard to believe there's people who are more Swedish homers than me (I root for Sweden in international events over Canada even though I'm french-Italian-Canadian. I would even cheer for Sweden over France or Italy if they were any good at hockey).

I wish the trade never happened for that reason cause I loved Zibby but those saying this trade is a disaster and the usual kings of the hyperbole.

Ryan is actually pretty smart when it comes to hockey IQ and pulling things off in tight spaces.

I'd put him ahead of Brassard with Stone and Karlsson.

It's just too bad the rest of his game is mediocre.

His shot took a nose dive the last few years (injuries?) and he can't stay healthy. Outside of that, poor chemistry with linemates who rarely finish his set ups. The goal he scored in the last game vs NYI, he actually got set up for a great scoring chance. Seriously, how many times did that happen this year?

If I am the Canucks, I offer Loui Eriksson in return, put Ryan with the Sedins and make profit. He will bounce back over 50 pts next year if put under the right circumstances. The style of game the Sens play doesn't fit his finesse/skilled game.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
His shot took a nose dive the last few years (injuries?) and he can't stay healthy. Outside of that, poor chemistry with linemates who rarely finish his set ups. The goal he scored in the last game vs NYI, he actually got set up for a great scoring chance. Seriously, how many times did that happen this year?

If I am the Canucks, I offer Loui Eriksson in return, put Ryan with the Sedins and make profit. He will bounce back over 50 pts next year if put under the right circumstances. The style of game the Sens play doesn't fit his finesse/skilled game.

I think this is a problem with the team in general. Hoffman is the only guy with a "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality, maybe also Turris to a lesser extent. We have an abnormally high amount of playmaking wingers, like Stone and Ryan.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think this is a problem with the team in general. Hoffman is the only guy with a "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality, maybe also Turris to a lesser extent. We have an abnormally high amount of playmaking wingers, like Stone and Ryan.

MacArthur will help fix that, his last full season (and his ~65 game year) would have lead this year's sens in shots.

Burrows is also a shoot first type.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I wouldn't have made the trade myself, but Zibby most likely wouldn't have made this team a better offensive team either.

We would still be in the same spot we are in now with Zibby.

A team that is playing a defensive system that has trouble scoring goals.

Who knows how many points Brassard would have if the Sens still played a run and gun offense like they did the last two years.

So i am not going to severely criticize Brassard considering the majority of this teams offensive production has decreased since last season.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't have made the trade myself, but Zibby most likely wouldn't have made this team a better offensive team either.

We would still be in the same spot we are in now with Zibby.

A team that is playing a defensive system that has trouble scoring goals.

Who knows how many points Brassard would have if the Sens still played a run and gun offense like they did the last two years.

So i am not going to severely criticize Brassard considering the majority of this teams offensive production has decreased since last season.

Has anyone noticed Zibenejad even once in the last two games? No, he is irrelevant, always has been.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Has anyone noticed Zibenejad even once in the last two games? No, he is irrelevant, always has been.

I did. He had a premium chance in the slot but Weber touch the puck with his shoulder and saved a goal.

I think Zib could help us on the PP. Not 5v5.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Brassard was our best forward in game 1 along with Ryan.

Not really. You can talk about who hard he plays and all that, but at the end of the day, 'moral victories' mean nothing in the playoffs. We need our guys in the top 6 to put up some damned points.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not really. You can talk about who hard he plays and all that, but at the end of the day, 'moral victories' mean nothing in the playoffs. We need our guys in the top 6 to put up some damned points.

His line is responsible for 100% of the goal we scored in Game 1.

So far so good I'd say.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
His line is responsible for 100% of the goal we scored in Game 1.

So far so good I'd say.

Well solo effort by Ryan.

I'm with NMF on this. Goals matter. Wins matter. That's it.

We lost 2-1. Saying so and so was our best forward menas nothing. We scored 1 goal and lost by 1 goal

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well solo effort by Ryan.

I'm with NMF on this. Goals matter. Wins matter. That's it.

We lost 2-1. Saying so and so was our best forward menas nothing. We scored 1 goal and lost by 1 goal

It means nothing because you don't want it to mean anything.

He was great in the only game we played so far, how in the world does that not mean anything?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Zibanejad made some great passes last game. Could have had a couple of assists if it wasn't for Price/shooting wide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad