Injury Report: Derek Stepan (DTD) Will not play against Boston

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@stevezipay: Stepan was at TD Garden, presumably receiving treatment, did not skate. Saw him briefly, said he felt okay. AV meets press at 5 p.m.”

scott99

May 13, 2005
Good job, Islanders. Back to their old dirty tricks.

Isle's fan coming in peace. Great game the other night, this rivalry is heating up, nice to see two hot teams play against each other with such intensity.

Just wanted to point out 2 things, First, it's being reported on Twitter that Stepan did NOT get hurt from a Martin slash. Being the report comes from an islander's writer from Newsday, I immediately jumped on him and said "you can't just put out news that it wasn't an Martin slash without stating how the injury happened". He basically said his inside source told him, so I'm really not sure which writer to believe, Zippay from the Post who reported it was a Martin slash, or Staple from Newsday who reported it wasn't.

My second thing I wanted to point out is, slashing happens all geme long, little slashes on the hands happens constantly, and sometimes cause turnovers and mistakes. It's a tactic used by every hockey player in the NHL. I guarantee you that Tavares gets slashed 20-30 times a game. It's unfortunate that sometimes a freak slash will cause a major injury like a break (Rangers on Lemieux back in the 90's for instance), or even a minor injury that causes someone to miss games.

Also, hate the Islanders all you want, but Matt Martin, for a goon, plays the game the right way, pretty much 100% clean. Has lead the league in hits for 3 years running, has 6 goals on the season, and sticks up for his teammmates. For all the hits he's had on opposing players, he's hasn't been suspended since 2011 during the big brawl with the Penguins. And several Islanders and penguins got suspended for that. he's a pretty clean player, it's unfortunate Stepan got hurt, he's one of my favorite Rangers, wanted him his draft year. But it may not have been from a slash.

Best of luck the rest of the year, you guys have a great team !

NYRangerFan*

Isle's fan coming in peace. Great game the other night, this rivalry is heating up, nice to see two hot teams play against each other with such intensity.

Just wanted to point out 2 things, First, it's being reported on Twitter that Stepan did NOT get hurt from a Martin slash. Being the report comes from an islander's writer from Newsday, I immediately jumped on him and said "you can't just put out news that it wasn't an Martin slash without stating how the injury happened". He basically said his inside source told him, so I'm really not sure which writer to believe, Zippay from the Post who reported it was a Martin slash, or Staple from Newsday who reported it wasn't.

My second thing I wanted to point out is, slashing happens all geme long, little slashes on the hands happens constantly, and sometimes cause turnovers and mistakes. It's a tactic used by every hockey player in the NHL. I guarantee you that Tavares gets slashed 20-30 times a game. It's unfortunate that sometimes a freak slash will cause a major injury like a break (Rangers on Lemieux back in the 90's for instance), or even a minor injury that causes someone to miss games.

Also, hate the Islanders all you want, but Matt Martin, for a goon, plays the game the right way, pretty much 100% clean. Has lead the league in hits for 3 years running, has 6 goals on the season, and sticks up for his teammmates. For all the hits he's had on opposing players, he's hasn't been suspended since 2011 during the big brawl with the Penguins. And several Islanders and penguins got suspended for that. he's a pretty clean player, it's unfortunate Stepan got hurt, he's one of my favorite Rangers, wanted him his draft year. But it may not have been from a slash.

Islanders started taking shots at the end of the game up 3-0. Pretty sad if you ask me

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It's unfortunate that sometimes a freak slash will cause a major injury like a break (Rangers on Lemieux back in the 90's for instance), or even a minor injury that causes someone to miss games.

You must be too young to remember that. There was nothing freaky about it. Graves deliberately tried to break his wrist in order to remove him from the lineup.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

That was about as nasty a slash as you could get on Lemieux, even as a Rangers fan there's no defending that...

Thanks for the new info by the way.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
You must be too young to remember that. There was nothing freaky about it. Graves deliberately tried to break his wrist in order to remove him from the lineup.

And Graves was suspended, wasn't he? When someone does something to a Ranger, the leagues seems to yawn.

scott99

May 13, 2005

I'm an Islander's fan for many years (I'm 52), and I don't remember Graves as a dirty player (Messier was a dirty player). Also, as a former roller hockey player from the 70's, I do rememeber that sometimes, the hardest slash did nothing, and sometimes a light tap can catch you the wrong way and break something, it really is something that is kinda freaky, just bad odds sometimes. Not saying it wasn't a bad slash, but I doubt Graves intentionally broke Lemiuex's wrist on purpose.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I'm an Islander's fan for many years (I'm 52), and I don't remember Graves as a dirty player (Messier was a dirty player). Also, as a former roller hockey player from the 70's, I do rememeber that sometimes, the hardest slash did nothing, and sometimes a light tap can catch you the wrong way and break something, it really is something that is kinda freaky, just bad odds sometimes. Not saying it wasn't a bad slash, but I doubt Graves intentionally broke Lemiuex's wrist on purpose.

Graves wasn't trying to break the wrist. He was trying to amputate the hand.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Not saying it wasn't a bad slash, but I doubt Graves intentionally broke Lemiuex's wrist on purpose.

They're screwing with you, he is about the most honest, straight up player that ever laced them up.

It was the early 90's. First, it's doubtful the hand was actually broken, 2nd that play was the norm back then and 3rd Mario gutted the padding in his gloves and had short cuffs. So no Graves didn't intentionally break his wrist, which was a doubtful result anyhow, and 2 it should not have been a suspend-able offense. But he was suspended and the rest is history.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
They're screwing with you, he is about the most honest, straight up player that ever laced them up.

It was the early 90's. First, it's doubtful the hand was actually broken, 2nd that play was the norm back then and 3rd Mario gutted the padding in his gloves and had short cuffs. So no Graves didn't intentionally break his wrist, which was a doubtful result anyhow, and 2 it should not have been a suspend-able offense. But he was suspended and the rest is history.

Oh please!

I've met Graves. He's a very nice man, and he's the type of guy who would stand up for his team no matter how violent he had to be.

Graves averaged over 100 PIM/year while he was an offensive threat during his tenure as a Ranger.

He finished his career with 1224 PIM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad