Injury Report: Derek Stepan (DTD) Will not play against Boston

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
If Stepan was out more than just "day-to-day", I sure as **** would.

Thankfully, this is not the case :)

I'd wait until the deadline before making a move. Phoenix could easily try and extract more out of us now knowing that we're missing Stepan/he could be playing at not 100%. At the deadline, we'll have a better indication of whether or not Vermette is actually what we need and if we're in a position to add a player like him (i.e, high in the standings).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lindberg supposedly is a good face-off guy so it's a bit mystifying to me why he wouldn't be called up. Get a look at him as well. To me he's easily our best forward prospect in Hartford.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'd wait until the deadline before making a move. Phoenix could easily try and extract more out of us now knowing that we're missing Stepan/he could be playing at not 100%. At the deadline, we'll have a better indication of whether or not Vermette is actually what we need and if we're in a position to add a player like him (i.e, high in the standings).

Hm. I don't know, I kind of disagree.

We've seen all season where the Rangers are lacking - or maybe not lacking, but areas where they can use an upgrade. Those being 3C, and 3LD.

Barring any massive injury *knock on wood* I think our needs at game 40 are going to be similar to our needs at game 60 (rough estimate, I don't know exactly when the deadline is and I'm too lazy to count. Although... I do have all this work piling up on my desk. These mines aren't going to sweep themselves).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hm. I don't know, I kind of disagree.

We've seen all season where the Rangers are lacking - or maybe not lacking, but areas where they can use an upgrade. Those being 3C, and 3LD.

Barring any massive injury *knock on wood* I think our needs at game 40 are going to be similar to our needs at game 60 (rough estimate, I don't know exactly when the deadline is and I'm too lazy to count. Although... I do have all this work piling up on my desk. These mines aren't going to sweep themselves).
Is there any reason other than face-offs that people don't think Hayes is adequate? He's been fantastic in all other aspects.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Is there any reason other than face-offs that people don't think Hayes is adequate? He's been fantastic in all other aspects.

I don't disagree, I'm just nervous about how his play will hold up. He's never played more than 44 games in a single season. This is a completely different grind for him. Asking him to go against all those centers in the playoffs, on game 82+ for him, could be a big assignment.

So, we keep him in the lineup in a "less strenuous" position on the wing, where he's comfortable playing. In the process, we get a 50 point center who can win faceoffs, play on the PK, and PP -- and has over 50 games of NHL playoff experience.

I love Hayes. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players... I Just don't know how comfortable I am with him taking that responsibility in the playoffs this year

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't disagree, I'm just nervous about how his play will hold up. He's never played more than 44 games in a single season. This is a completely different grind for him. Asking him to go against all those centers in the playoffs, on game 82+ for him, could be a big assignment.

So, we keep him in the lineup in a "less strenuous" position on the wing, where he's comfortable playing. In the process, we get a 50 point center who can win faceoffs, play on the PK, and PP -- and has over 50 games of NHL playoff experience.

I love Hayes. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players... I Just don't know how comfortable I am with him taking that responsibility in the playoffs this year
That's a good point.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Lindberg supposedly is a good face-off guy so it's a bit mystifying to me why he wouldn't be called up. Get a look at him as well. To me he's easily our best forward prospect in Hartford.

Lindberg's been hot recently too, easily the most consistent forward - wins faceoffs, plays with a bit of a chip, and leads the team in shots the last dozen games.

Call him up, rather keep Miller on the wing.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Why are you shaking your head?

Do you expect them to make a trade like that in December/January in the middle a huge run?

no certainly not. he won't get dealt until march.

i was just lamenting how he would be nice to have right now and in doing so making a point about how weak we are down the middle and how having vermette come playoffs time would be a huge get for us.

a guy like that can play from the 1 to the 3c. he's able to play a defensive shutdown role or can skate and play an offensive role, all while winning nearly 55% of his draws.

i continue to think he's exactly what we need for balance and insurance both. he really fits like a glove and addresses a few areas of need for us. and, as a potential rental, could be had for a pick and a prospect.

i love kevin hayes. really impressed with his overall game. but, as last year showed us, to compete with bigger, stronger west coast teams in 7 game playoff wars, we need a veteran centerman who can go the distance and play a tight checking game.

like vermette.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So why back to the "upper body injury" nonsense?

IIRC, during AV's time here the team has always been upfront about the injuries

if the injury is really his ribs then there is absolutely no way the team would come out and state that to put a bullseye on his injury. since when he returns in a few days his ribs will still probably be sore

all that matters is that he's day to day and its not a broken wrist like originally feared

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Hayes is enormous compared to Vermette.

obviously. dude is huge and hulking.

my point wasn't to the size of the players but to the need for a veteran player who can go the distance, win important draws and play playoff calibre hockey.

hayes is one year removed from 40 games in the ncaa and hardly an nhl vet.

and i love kevin hayes so far. but the playoffs are a totally different animal.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You can still have Hayes play the middle and have another center line up at wing and take draws.

Rangers did this with great success with Brian Boyle and Brandon Dubinsky.

The Rangers need a RH player that can win draws. If Stepan was good in between the dots, everyone would compare him to Bergeron. Does everything else except faceoffs.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@stevezipay: John Moore and Matt Hunwick on ice for Rangers. No Stepan. Not even testing himself so he's likely out tonight”

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Lindberg's been hot recently too, easily the most consistent forward - wins faceoffs, plays with a bit of a chip, and leads the team in shots the last dozen games.

Call him up, rather keep Miller on the wing.

Agreed. Move Hayes and Moore up a line and let Lindberg slot in as 4th line center. He has the two-way game to do that, and Miller hasn't proven capable of that yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad