Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well I hate to say I told u all so but well I knew it

@AGrossRecord: #NYR practice lines: Nash-Brassard-MSL Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello Hagelin-DMoore-Stempniak Glass-Hayes-Duclair

Not good at all playing the 2 kids on the 4th line with tanner glass of all people saw it coming not surprised but very disappointed in this approach

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That line might as well hit the showers after the 2nd period the way AV is going right now and we won't win squat with 3 lines need moore and Stempniak solidifying a 4th line that can contribute

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Send Duke back now please bring up miller since they hate him anyway I don't need a future star playing 9 mins a game with tanner glass.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Send Duke back now please bring up miller since they hate him anyway I don't need a future star playing 9 mins a game with tanner glass.

Lol it is true . You can say the same for Hayes . I don't see a problem w miller and fast getting another look

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Ovechkin could barely produce if AV put him in the same situations he's been putting Duke in. Honestly don't know what he's doing

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That line might as well hit the showers after the 2nd period the way AV is going right now and we won't win squat with 3 lines need moore and Stempniak solidifying a 4th line that can contribute

Yeah this is dumb, but I also wouldn't be surprised if AV is shaking around his lines depending on the situation as the game goes

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I think some of you guys put way too much emphasis on lines. The most important thing is that with Stepan back, we have 11 forwards ranging from good to very good in the lineup. Fantastic depth.

Glass has been meh, but why is it a big deal if he plays with two rookies? Anisimov played with Jody Shelley in his rookie year, didn't seem to ruin his career.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We do have good depth AV just doesn't want to use it because he really doesn't like playing rookies

If he put hayes and Duke with Hagelin and gave them real third line mins we'd be a 4 line team

Right now we are not. Those kids aren't going to play in close games and they're all close in this league for the most part.

This is AV's MO his weakness he doesn't know how to handle kids. Right now he took a look at his healthy forwards and said well the 2 kids are my 11th and 12th.

Duclair is 4th or 5th on the team in scoring he's also a plus 5 or 6 and he can't get a regular shift?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Yeah this is dumb, but I also wouldn't be surprised if AV is shaking around his lines depending on the situation as the game goes

That's exactly what he doesn't want to keep doing and not at all what we did last year

All he keeps saying is when step gets back he will be able to solidify and stabilize his lines and duos

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
No in all seriousness Duke can play in the NHL and score but if our coach isn't going to play him send him down let him play 20 a game score another ridiculous amount of goals play in the WJCs and memorial cup

JT miller can play RW 9 mins a game if need be

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

@AGrossRecord: #NYR practice lines: Nash-Brassard-MSL Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello Hagelin-DMoore-Stempniak Glass-Hayes-Duclair

Not good at all playing the 2 kids on the 4th line with tanner glass of all people saw it coming not surprised but very disappointed in this approach

Not a fan of these lines. that is WAY, WAY too top heavy (unless Zucc starts scoring 1PPG and Kreider .5 PPG)

I'd prefer:

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Zucc-Brassard-Nash
Hagelin-Hayes-Duclair/Stempniak
Glass/Mueller/Fast-Moore-Stempniak/Duclair

AHB*

Let's be realistic, you love to say I told you so. :laugh:

Not everyone is as pissed about it as you, either. Again, having rookies play 9-10 minutes a night, in the NHL, is significantly better for development then playing with children in juniors.

AV's rep with rookies/young players are showing. Can't wait to see how he handles Skjei & Buchnevich. Yikes.

Just like Kreider, right? SMH. AV got us to a cup in his first season here, as of right now, he deserves the benefit of the doubt in most instances.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
AV's rep with rookies/young players are showing. Can't wait to see how he handles Skjei & Buchnevich. Yikes.

I wonder though. If he is so bad with young players, why is it that Kreider only started to flourish under AV? Why is it that Zucc did well under AV and not so much under Torts?

Why bother to keep the kid up at all if that "reputation" is so true? It think there is nothing to this.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No in all seriousness Duke can play in the NHL and score but if our coach isn't going to play him send him down let him play 20 a game score another ridiculous amount of goals play in the WJCs and memorial cup

JT miller can play RW 9 mins a game if need be

What will the Q do for his development at this point? I mean really, he's just going to go obliterate kids that are 16, 17 and 18? How does that help him in ANY way? I always advocate for lots of playing time for the young kids, but just playing a bunch of minutes in junior hockey isn't going to do it for Duclair. He needs to continue to get stronger and work on his game away from the puck. I think he'll accomplish more of that at NHL practices, during NHL games for ten minutes per night, and with NHL coaches than he will with a bunch of teenagers in Quebec.

Playing them with Glass IS stupid, but playing them in the bottom six isn't.

Playing Glass is stupid. He's a drag on whoever he's playing with. We've beaten that horse though. :laugh:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
What will the Q do for his development at this point? I mean really, he's just going to go obliterate kids that are 16, 17 and 18? How does that help him in ANY way? I always advocate for lots of playing time for the young kids, but just playing a bunch of minutes in junior hockey isn't going to do it for Duclair. He needs to continue to get stronger and work on his game away from the puck. I think he'll accomplish more of that at NHL practices, during NHL games for ten minutes per night, and with NHL coaches than he will with a bunch of teenagers in Quebec.

Couldn't agree more. He needs to play against better competition. So far he has done well against that competition as well. Small sample size of course but 6 points in 10 games is not something to scoff at.

If he had 2 points in 10 games or something I would consider sending him down.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
im still amazed we actually gave tanner glass the contract we did.

beyond dumb.

and now because of it, he plays.

hockeys different here.

jskramer83

Nov 11, 2011
Ugh, not a fan at all of having two rookies playing together especially on the 4th line. Split them up this line will be way to prone to mistakes.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It'll be great to see D. Stepan's return on Saturday, LGR! :)

Nash - Brassard - Marty.
Kreider - Stepan - Zucc.

Are the two line combinations after this day practice and AV trying to figure out
chemistry.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2009
New York City
I wonder though. If he is so bad with young players, why is it that Kreider only started to flourish under AV? Why is it that Zucc did well under AV and not so much under Torts?

Why bother to keep the kid up at all if that "reputation" is so true? It think there is nothing to this.

I don't think Tortorella liked Kreider. He wasn't a grinder. :laugh:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
It'll be great to see D. Stepan's return on Saturday, LGR! :)

Nash - Brassard - Marty.
Kreider - Stepan - Zucc.

Are the two line combinations after this day practice and AV trying to figure out
chemistry.

Thoughts?

Given the way Nash Brassard and St. Louis have played together, might as well see if they can continue scoring and become a real force. Plus, Kreider and Stepan have shown chemistry in the past and Zucc can only benefit from Kreider's speed (and Stepan's passing ability).

At one point though, I would love to see what Hagelin, Stepan and St. Louis could do together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad