Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This was reported in the Training Camp thread...

“@AGrossRecord: Derek Stepan hard to the ice during conditioning test, helped off clutching left knee/leg. Audibly and visibly in pain.”

“@NYP_Brooksie: Stepan helped off ice after going down, clutching left leg/knee, during #NYR conditioning test. No contact, simply fell to ice...”

Not sounding good. Let's all cross our fingers.

EDIT:

“@AGrossRecord: Fractured fibula for Derek Stepan. No timetable yet on how long he'll be out. At doctor now. Rangers say update later today.”

UPDATE: The Rangers announced at 12:30 that Stepan suffered a broken left fibula and is currently being examined by doctors. There is no immediate timetable for how long he’ll be out but the team said it would have an update later today. It is believed this injury is related to an initial injury suffered blocking a shot during an informal skate on Sept. 9. Today’s break is in the same spot as where the puck hit his leg blocking that shot on Sept. 9. - Andrew Gross

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
“@AGrossRecord: Derek Stepan hard to the ice during conditioning test, helped off clutching left knee/leg. Audibly and visibly in pain.â€

“@NYP_Brooksie: Stepan helped off ice after going down, clutching left leg/knee, during #NYR conditioning test. No contact, simply fell to ice...â€

Not sounding good. Let's all cross our fingers.

:cry: I don't even know what to think.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That is really bad. If it's an ACL the Rangers are in big trouble.

Best case scenario it's something like what happened to McDonagh that one time he scored against the Caps and immediately fell to the ice clutching his knee...turned out something just popped but it wasn't a torn ligament or anything.

Worst case scenario...well, looks like Hayes or Lindberg is making the team!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
:cry: I don't even know what to think.

Yeah that's potentially very bad news. If he misses a significant amount of time, our offense is really hamstrung. One of Lombardi, Lindberg or Hayes will really have to step up.

I don't mean to get ahead of myself here, but non-contact leg injuries always seem to be bad news.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I agree non-contact is usually very bad...but until we hear & know more the rampant speculation is just that.

We don't know if it's knee, which ligament, sprain/tear, etc.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Ridiculous that a guy who has missed one game in his career suddenly has this happen

Championship*

If he's out the chances of Hayes and Miller making the team are ramped up. And failing that, depending on the seriousness of the injury, they may be forced to make a move.

Not gonna go crazy till we get the full details.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
well this sounds really bad. How the heck did a block shot that he rested for a bunch of days turn into him falling over in pain? Ugh I don't expect him to play in any preseason games until maybe the last one at best

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I can see the smiles on the faces of our rival fans, and thats what pisses me off most. The joy in their stomachs as they realize our top center has gone down.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This is why it is good we have a lot of competition in camp. I think this makes having Malone even more important because Stepan is likely replaced by Miller who is then likely replaced by Hayes. Therefore its good to have an extra vet like Malone in the locker room in the meantime to help keep the team focused

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Hayes and Miller step on up. This is your opportunity. Brassard too, to an extent.

Brutal news if it is serious.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
season over before it starts

bound to happen eventually

LOL. This awesome post was bound to happen as well. :shakehead

If it were season-ending for Derek (way too premature to think that), center depth obviously becomes a HUGE problem. You'd have to bank on Hayes or Lindberg being ready to contribute and you'd have someone like Lombardi or Moore playing over their head on the second unit. The alternative would be trying to make a trade. I wouldn't write the season off though. Lots can happen. Maybe Miller truly blossoms into a guy capable of potting 45 points, and you have two #2 centers in Brassard and Miller.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
This has to be some sick joke.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds, cause starting the season with one of Brass/Hayes/Miller as our 1c would be bad.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yeah that's potentially very bad news. If he misses a significant amount of time, our offense is really hamstrung. One of Lombardi, Lindberg or Hayes will really have to step up.

I don't mean to get ahead of myself here, but non-contact leg injuries always seem to be bad news.

Things like this are what made me so nervous for trading this years pick away. Something like this and another unfortunate injury could really hamper our playoff chances.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 2m
Ranger Rants: #NYR C Derek Stepan helped off the ice during conditioning test, how it happened and what may happen http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Kind of odd. Maybe a groin/hamstring? He didn't even make it the full length of the rink. He took off and then collapsed to both knees at the far blue line. He didn't crash into the boards.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Stepan, back on the ice after missing two days due to a foot contusion initially suffered on Sept. 9 (the team did not skate on Tuesday as the Rangers held their annual golf outing) was participating in a full-rink sprint drill. But, shortly after pushing off and trying to get up to speed, Stepan collapsed to the ice on both knees around the far blue line, sliding through the neutral zone before coming to a stop in the opposite zone clutching at the area of his left knee. Stepan could be heard groaning in pain as he was attended to on the ice and then helped off by teammates Mats Zuccarello and Marty St. Louis.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
So if it really is bad and Steps is gone for a while, I think I'd reunite Miller and Kreider.

Kreider - Miller - MSL
Zucc - Brass - Nash
Hagelin - Lombardi - Stempniak
Glass - Moore - Malone

Miller and Kreider had great chemistry in the A and Hags/Lombardi would kill teams with their speed.

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT
So if it really is bad and Steps is gone for a while, I think I'd reunite Miller and Kreider.

Kreider - Miller - MSL
Zucc - Brass - Nash
Hagelin - Lombardi - Stempniak
Glass - Moore - Malone

Miller and Kreider had great chemistry in the A and Hags/Lombardi would kill teams with their speed.

You really want to line Miller up against Giroux, Crosby, Malkins of the world?

#BringBackDubi e5

Championship*

I can see the smiles on the faces of our rival fans, and thats what pisses me off most. The joy in their stomachs as they realize our top center has gone down.

Those who revel in the injury of a rival player are bound to experience the same fate themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad