Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Moore's rounding into form I think. Part of the problem this season has been all the different linemates he's been playing with. Once he goes back to his primary assignment (shutdown center), he'll be fine.

That and Moore has been playing 3rd line not 4th.. He dominated the 4th lines last yr but it's more even against 3rd liners

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Nash-Stepan-St. Louis
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hags-Hayes-Duclair
Glass-Moore-Stempniak

That right there, is a damn solid core of forwards.

Perhaps the only change would be the top 6, since Stepan works very well with Kreider, to make it:

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Zucc-Brass-Nash

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Nash-Stepan-St. Louis
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hags-Hayes-Duclair
Glass-Moore-Stempniak

That right there, is a damn solid core of forwards.

Perhaps the only change would be the top 6, since Stepan works very well with Kreider, to make it:

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Zucc-Brass-Nash

Last year the Brasspoorello-line got all the attention. Deservedly so. But i still think the the line Zuccarello-Stepan-Kreider played some of the best hockey for the Rangers last year. They had som tremendous good games together. I would for sure like to see that line again.

Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Nash-Brassard-MSL
Hags-Hayes-Duclair
Glass-Moore-Stempniak

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash
Duclair-Stepan-St. Louis
Kreider-Hayes-Hagelin
Malone/Glass-Moore-Stempniak

McD - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Hunwick

Pretty solid. Three A\B lines and a fourthline with very good NHL status

PKers - Moore, Hagelin, Stepan, Nash, Stempniak, Glass

PP 1
Nash - Stepan - MSL
MZA - Boyle

PP2
Kreider - Brassard - Duclair/Hayes
J Moore - McD

If we somehow could insert Vermette and Sekera into this lineup without losing too many other players - we could be a real contender

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
^ why play Zucc and Hagelin on their off-wings?

Zucc can play LW, and he's the LW when he's playing with Brassard and Nash. IMO, I'd keep Hags on the LW and play him with Marty on the RW. It just seems like they play great together when they're on the same line, and that slick pass behind the net from Hags to Marty was ****ing beautiful. Hayes and Kreider seem like they have solid chemistry too, and instead of pushing Duke out of the lineup, let him play the 3RW, so Stempniak can play with Moore. It gives them the most balance throughout the lineup.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash
Duclair-Stepan-St. Louis
Kreider-Hayes-Hagelin

McD - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Hunwick

Pretty solid. Three A\B lines and a fourthline with very good NHL status

PKers - Moore, Hagelin, Stepan, Nash, Stempniak, Glass

PP 1
Nash - Stepan - MSL
MZA - Boyle

PP2
Kreider - Brassard - Duclair/Hayes
J Moore - McD

If we somehow could insert Vermette and Sekera into this lineup without losing too many other players - we could be a real contender

Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-St. Louis
Kreider-Hayes-Duclair

or you can switch Hayes and Stepan...

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Kreider--Stepan--Nash
Duclair--Brassard--Zuccarello
Hagelin--Hayes--St.Louis
Glass--Moore--Stempniak

Am I the only one who think Moore has be meh thus far?

I like this with the exception that I think I would prefer to have Mueller in place of Glass on the 4th line.

Offers more creativity while not much of a downgrade defensively. We lose Glass physicality, but the system is not predicated physicality.

As for Moore, he's a meh player offensively. always has been, always will be. Solid on the PK, 55% in the dots.

A 4th line center ideally and will be again on Saturday night.

Other than the Mueller/Glass switch, I believe the line up as you presented makes best use of our wing depth.

I just think that removing Glass from the line up allows us to roll 4 lines consistently.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kreider--Stepan--Nash
Duclair--Brassard--Zuccarello
Hagelin--Hayes--St.Louis
Glass--Moore--Stempniak

Am I the only one who think Moore has be meh thus far?

Moore has been meh and it's because he's a 4th liner playing out of position but def a slow start on both sides of the puck.

This to me is the best balance and resembles the most familiarity to last year's group.

I'm not convinced though that AV will go this route. I think we will be more top heavy this season with MSL and Nash playing together or with nash playing with Zucc and brass

Id be very happy with these lines though

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think we're seeing just how important Stepan is

A top 2 way center for us plays the pp righty shot plays the PK trusted in every spot

There is a reason he has a letter.

Getting him back will be huge for us

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Moore has been meh and it's because he's a 4th liner playing out of position but def a slow start on both sides of the puck.

This to me is the best balance and resembles the most familiarity to last year's group.

I'm not convinced though that AV will go this route. I think we will be more top heavy this season with MSL and Nash playing together or with nash playing with Zucc and brass

Id be very happy with these lines though

Not so much top heavy, but I do agree with you. I think he's adding a bit more an "identity" to the top 6, which I also feel is necessary considering you have guys that have been asked to step up, and have done so admirably. Those guys need playing time, they need ice presence. Though depth is super appealing, and roster versatility is absolutely necessary (works out great that a guy like Stempniak and Moore can slot up whenever called upon), top players need the right linemates.

I was an advocate for Hagelin-Miller/Hayes-MSL, but the reality is we need to let secondary scoring be just that, secondary scoring... The plus side, is that if we ever do decide that Miller needs MSL to get going, we can afford to do it by putting Stempniak up in the top 6

But back to my point, Brassard for example... He was our 3C last year, now he's playing as a 1C in Stepan's absence, and he's absolutely killing it. The right way to treat that is to reward him with more ice time, and tougher matchups. Sounds backwards, but some players absolutely thrive off that, especially when the coach is investing his trust and confidence in them (and Brassard strikes me as one that does).

This being said, the reality is we cannot play Hayes, Miller, Moore, or even Lindberg in situations where we used to play Brad Richards. Point-wise, yes they can be suffice, but the only actual replaceable thing between a Vet and a Rookie is, yep you guess it, points.

Beyond points, there is probably much more missing between the ears of the rooks, and that is to be expected. Growing pains are part of the game.

Now my personal feelings is that AV needs to let these rookies work through their mistakes, and that includes Miller (Pretty sure he has a much higher ceiling than Hayes), but I'm not an NHL coach so I won't make that call right now.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Brad Richards was terrible in his own end actually always has been but worse the past couple years as he slowed down. Hayes should be an upgrade AV just needs to trust him IMO

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Brad Richards was terrible in his own end actually always has been but worse the past couple years as he slowed down. Hayes should be an upgrade AV just needs to trust him IMO

that was my point. Point wise, they are replaceable. as for everything else, it will take time, but in the end it's worth the investment.

Hayes will stay as a 3C on this team this year. That's my predicition. I'm hoping that Miller gets a look as a winger, because I think the fewer on-ice responsibilities could turn into a Pouliot-like beast... no reason his celing is less than a 50 point winger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad