Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
hahaha what did I just read the eyeball test is biased?!? Lol

Judging him off his horrible mistakes isn't fair? Lol

1.) Please explain how your limited and subjective experience of the world around you, including viewing hockey games, is NOT biased?

2.) When those horrible mistakes came in an incredibly small sample size, no, it's not.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well first off he's 28 and an AHL journeyman so right there im pretty sure he shouldn't shoot up to the number 4 dman on a Stanley Cup contender lol

But yes when he is responsible for aeful goals against or bonehead plays constantly in front of my eyes I'll take that over reading some possession stats over 3 games

Ridiculous only here would this even be a debate I swear lol

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@PLeonardNYDN: #NYR have optional practice today. Rangers say Zuccarello is on ice. Tomorrow v #RedWings at MSG. Stepan may be back Wed, may not. We'll see”

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If we want to nitpick stats, Kostka did have the worst Corsi amongst Rangers defensemen last night.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Well first off he's 28 and an AHL journeyman so right there im pretty sure he shouldn't shoot up to the number 4 dman on a Stanley Cup contender lol

But yes when he is responsible for aeful goals against or bonehead plays constantly in front of my eyes I'll take that over reading some possession stats over 3 games

Ridiculous only here would this even be a debate I swear lol

The only reason Kostka is in at this point is because this ISN'T the same team that made the Cup finals. 8 significant/semi-significant players gone from last year's squad, currently 4 rookies in the lineup, without all our #1s. They're wearing the same sweater, they're called the "New York Rangers", but it's not the same team at this current point in time. That's why Kostka is still playing.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Any stat U are looking at that tells U to trade kevin Klein so U can make mike Kostka your number 4 Dman is a bad stat my friend delete it from your computer

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The only reason Kostka is in at this point is because this ISN'T the same team that made the Cup finals. They're wearing the same sweater, they're called the "New York Rangers", but it's not the same team. That's why Kostka is still playing.

Well actually he's playing because 4 of our top 6 are out of the lineup and he is dirt cheap. Not because he's any good

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
The way people here have judged Kostka based on a few extremely poor giveaways, and one poor decision last night is all the proof you need that the eyeball test is horrifically biased.

Girardi has made a living off poor decisions and giveaways, yet he is a hero to the eyeball test warriors. Go figure.

Of course yet again no one can justify their position with anything other than attacking the numbers and banal comments regarding "watching the games."

Your post is right below someone saying that Kostka should be playing over Girardi and Klein.

Now, maybe the math is correct. But it does not matter, because it's literally never going to convince me that Kostka should be playing before Girardi. Eyeball tests are obviously going to be biased, but what is trying to be sold here is the idea that humans fundamentally cannot evaluate hockey. Flat out. Because we're not just talking about a bunch of people on the internet here. We're also talking the multiple coaches that have played Girardi tons of minutes, the GM who signed him to a big contract, the ASG selection. If all that is wrong, that means what we see when we watch hockey is basically meaningless. We flat out fail to comprehend what's important about what we're watching- and we have little hope to do so even with more knowledge, because even the people who are heavily involved in the game disagree with the numbers. We're not talking a little tweak here (like X player is secretly underrated and Y is overrated), we're talking about a BIG shift. And that's really hard to buy. Even if it's right, it's hard to buy. Because I'd like to pretend that I know what's happening when I watch a sport.

And I say this as someone with a degree in mathematics.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Would hockey stud Jared Sexton even say Kostka is better than Girardi and Klein because of advanced stats? Stay tuned

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Your post is right below someone saying that Kostka should be playing over Girardi and Klein.

I'm not even in full agreement with what Blueblooded posted, but you can see very clearly the trend here on these boards of forming an opinion based on the "highlight" plays of a game each player makes. This was certainly why Stralman was so underrated (few highlight plays, bad or good) and Rick Nash was killed during the playoffs (not scoring so, must be bad.)

Even if what BlueBlooded is saying (I'm not convinced it is or isn't) is an unreasonable evaluation, the fact people are so quick to discount it based on a few poor plays is very telling about how their opinions are formed in the first place.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Kostka ****ing sucks. This shouldn't even be a debate. He had a solid game against the Jets but he singlehandedly won the islanders that game and I don't even know what he was doing on the goal last night.

This is why stats are taken with a grain of salt. No GM or coach would take Kostka over Klein or Girardi.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
You are probably right about that but I would bet a million dollars it wouldn't be because of the Islanders game or last night.

It's because he has a history of sucking. He is a career AHLer, those are just the most recent examples of him screwing up and all the examples we have of him doing it in a NYR jersey

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
It's because he has a history of sucking. He is a career AHLer, those are just the most recent examples of him screwing up and all the examples we have of him doing it in a NYR jersey

Please do tell this history of sucking outside of his time with the Rangers. He is a career AHLer who over the last three seasons has logged over 1000 career NHL minutes, most of which were on a bad Leafs team in which he actually played better than all his defense partners but 1 (Gardiner) when away from them.

Maybe not with the Rangers, but it seems like he could play in the NHL. I can't really buy in to that criticism.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Please do tell this history of sucking outside of his time with the Rangers. He is a career AHLer who over the last three seasons has logged over 1000 career NHL minutes, most of which were on a bad Leafs team in which he actually played better than all his defense partners but 1 (Gardiner) when away from them.

Maybe not with the Rangers, but it seems like he could play in the NHL. I can't really buy in to that criticism.

you answered your own question.

He can play in the NHL... on a non playoff team's 2nd pairing.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kreider--Stepan--Nash
Duclair--Brassard--Zuccarello
Hagelin--Hayes--St.Louis
Glass--Moore--Stempniak

Am I the only one who think Moore has be meh thus far?

Yeah Moore has had a few good spurts but either is playing over his head and being expected to contribute on a scoring line, or has been saddled with guys like Glass and Malone. He could probably stand to pick it up though

I'd bet St Louis and Nash stay together since they've consistently produced so far this year when on the same line.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kreider--Stepan--Nash
Hagelin--Hayes--St.Louis
Glass--Moore--Stempniak

Yeah Moore has had a few good spurts but either is playing over his head and being expected to contribute on a scoring line, or has been saddled with guys like Glass and Malone. He could probably stand to pick it up though

I'd bet St Louis and Nash stay together since they've consistently produced so far this year when on the same line.

I don't think Moore has been meh. If you think so then you might be expecting too much either based on his current role as Levitate states above or the hangover from the solid playoff run the team had. I think Moore has a couple small mistakes but thank god we have him with all the injuries to start. He PKs, can be moved around the lineup because he is a reliable center on the dot and defensively. Great vet to have. I feel comfortable every time he is out on the ice for a PK.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Kreider--Stepan--Nash
Hagelin--Hayes--St.Louis
Glass--Moore--Stempniak

Moore's rounding into form I think. Part of the problem this season has been all the different linemates he's been playing with. Once he goes back to his primary assignment (shutdown center), he'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad