Derek Roy: The one where we talk about players who aren't Derek Roy

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I still don't mind the trade because we absolutely needed some centre depth. Although I do think the games since the trade have shown us all why Roy only returned a second and a B-C level prospect.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
On the bright side his low point totals will make him cheaper to re-sign.

On the other hand he might decide it's better for his career to go elsewhere.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Although I do think the games since the trade have shown us all why Roy only returned a second and a B-C level prospect.

I'm leaning towards the idea that Dallas knew something that Vancouver didn't: his contract expectations.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Kesler
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Booth - Lappiere - Kassian

Fully healthy (hah) this offense is easily top-5, arguably top-3 in the league.

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Kesler
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Booth - Lappiere - Kassian

Fully healthy (hah) this offense is easily top-5, arguably top-3 in the league.

What about Dutch Gretzky? It looks great on paper for sure. Unfortunately, AV loves his Ebbett instead of Shroeder who can easily be our 3rd line centre right now.

Alflives*

I'm leaning towards the idea that Dallas knew something that Vancouver didn't: his contract expectations.

What do his future contract demands have to do with Dallas being a better team without him? Is his play so much better than Schoeder's that he was worth a grade A prospect and a second round pick?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
What do his future contract demands have to do with Dallas being a better team without him? Is his play so much better than Schoeder's that he was worth a grade A prospect and a second round pick?

:laugh:

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

who?

Would you also argue Dallas is a better team without Jagr and Morrow as well?

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007

In what world is Connauton a grade A prospect:laugh:?

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

I'm not sure what his contract demands have to do with these things. Sorry, I couldn't predict what oddball tangent you'd take my comments to.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
On the bright side his low point totals will make him cheaper to re-sign.

On the other hand he might decide it's better for his career to go elsewhere.

with rumors of bozak asking 5 mil, i'm thinking roy's gonna get something like 6 mil from some random eastern team

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
I know they worked out fairly well together but I don't like keeping Roy on Kesler's line full time. I think it is better for the Canucks as a team to be able to roll three lines. Putting them on the same line during the last ten minutes if the Canucks are down a goal is a solid strategy but having them together throughout the rest of play completely negates the bottom two lines. It means that Ebbett or Schroeder have to be the third line center and neither of them have shown that they can handle that pressure yet.

LolClarkson*

People jump to way too many conclusions over a few games.

Is Dallas really better without Jagr and Roy ?

Is Philly better without Jagr ? Nope

Is Buffalo better without Roy ? Noope

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
not sure i liked roy and kesler playing the entire game together tonight if it means that we have to rely on a plug like andrew ebbett as a 3c...it's a good tactic when the canucks shorten the bench and need a goal but it really dilutes any effectiveness from the third line, especially when guys like raymond and kassian are more than capable 3rd line wingers with a competent center

hopefully things get more balanced when higgins returns...however there's inevitably an injury every playoff series and i wonder if, in that situation where canucks are missing a top-9 forward, vigneault will continue to foist roy, a creative east-west player, onto two north-south players in kesler and hansen

What about Dutch Gretzky? It looks great on paper for sure. Unfortunately, AV loves his Ebbett instead of Shroeder who can easily be our 3rd line centre right now.

If they keep choosing to put Roy with Kesler full-time - which is a stupid idea to begin with because then what was the point of trading for a center? - I could see them calling up Schroeder for the playoffs. He's been okay in 2nd line minutes against decent competition so far from what I remember seeing earlier so in a lesser role you could finally have a functional 3rd line again, as long as you're not asking him to shut down the likes of Kopitar and Getzlaf etc.

Wolves likely aren't going to make the playoffs anyway from the way they've stumbled down the stretch lately so I fully expect to see him called up once they're done-diddly-done-for and Ebbett moved down to 4th line LW or something.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Our 2nd and 3rd lines will look one of two ways in the playoffs:

Roy-Kesler-Higgins (although I'd prefer Higgins-Roy-Kesler)
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

or

Raymond Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Roy-Kassian

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012

Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

or

Raymond Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Roy-Kassian

I'm fine with either. Just get Ebbett the **** off of this roster.

Wizeman*

Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

or

Raymond Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Roy-Kassian

I thought a Higgins Kesler Kassian line makes a better shutdown /scoring line.

Leaves Raymond Roy and Hansen to be secondary scoring.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Yup. These should be the lines when Higgins is healthy.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

If you're going to have Kesler go head to head with the other teams top line (we definitely should) it doesn't make much sense to have Kassian on that line.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
turnover machine

And a backhand off the crossbar that showed some ridiculous skill and could have been the difference tonight.

Roy has been hot and cold thus far for the Canucks but hopefully Higgins return will help bring some chemistry and secondary scoring to the bottom 6. Something this team will desperately need come playoff time.

This team simply wasn't going to compete for the Stanley cup with a combination of Ebbett, Schroeder and Lapierre centring the bottom 2 lines. That reason alone makes the acquisition a no-brainer for me. You only get so many shots at a cup...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
That line of Higgins-Roy-Kesler looked good tonight, but what to do with the 3rd line? Are we content with having Ebbett as a 4th line center?

(in before the "AV says yes" remarks :sarcasm:)

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
If you're going to have Kesler go head to head with the other teams top line (we definitely should) it doesn't make much sense to have Kassian on that line.

Agreed. Also Roy and Hansen still don't have the greatest chemistry, it makes more sense to just switch them around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad