Derek Roy: The one where we talk about players who aren't Derek Roy

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
It's too early to make an appreciation thread. So a first impression thread instead.
This guy makes clean, crisp passes, uses his wingers well and dominates puck possesion.
8191920.jpg

tumblr_mkrfsjgIVV1qm3rcno1_500.png

201304050024014482848-p2.jpg

tumblr_mkrnrzQ6zk1rp2kdio1_400.gif

tumblr_mkro93EbA91qaosmto1_500.png

Last edited:

JA

What a player! He's looking like that impact second line forward the team's been searching for. Very excited to see him in a Canucks uniform for the remainder of the season.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Great vision, soft hands, goes to the net, works hard, good skater and can produce. Seems to have already found chemistry with Hansen and Higgins. With Roy, Higgins looked like a beast out there tonight, they seemed to compliment each other very well. Could've easily had a multi-point game tonight, Roy that is.

If he keeps this up, re-signing him should be priority number one in the offseason.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I suppose what I am most excited about is the Nucks potentially re-signing him.

It keeps the window open after the Sedins with a potential Kesler/Roy 1/2 as the Canucks groom future centers along with Gaunce, Schroeder, Lain, Labate etc.

Ya no problem with Roy.

Ryan96

Mar 1, 2013
Vancouver
Very excited to have him on the team. If he keeps playing like he did tonight he could definitely be a great player for us. Hopefully he can fill the net as well.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
yeah I'm just happy to be here. hoping i can help the team win. I'm just gonna play both sides of the puck &....

oh wait....you meant...nm

yeah he looked pretty good

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Excellent player. It's shocking how much better he can make a line look compared to what the Canucks have been going with lately. Obviously not every game is going to be like that but he's definitely something the Canucks have been missing.

Unfortunately I see him opting for UFA (which is totally understandable for a guy in his position) but it'd be great if they could retain him. I just don't know if they'll be able to afford what may be the #1 C on the market (assuming Ribeiro stays in WAS). Perhaps the Canucks can use the pending leaguewide cap crunch to their advantage though.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
He's the only player not named Sedin that doesn't telegraph his passes.

I love it. Lots of quick glances, then slick passes onto the tape of Higgins. It'll really be interesting to see where Kesler fits back in with Roy as good of a playmaker as he is.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I suppose what I am most excited about is the Nucks potentially re-signing him.

It keeps the window open after the Sedins with a potential Kesler/Roy 1/2 as the Canucks groom future centers along with Gaunce, Schroeder, Lain, Labate etc.

Ya no problem with Roy.
Yeah, they should really dump Booth/Ballard/Luongo/Malhotra/maybe even Raymond for whatever they can.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Higgins - Roy - XX
XX - Lapierre - XX

Garrison - Hamhuis
Edler - Tanev
XX - Bieksa

Schneider
XX

would definitely be a great base.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
He seems like a guy who is going to test free agency so I don't want to get to attached. Hopefully it won't be another Ehrhoff situation but it will be hard pressed to re-sign him.

Also, it was his first game and he was playing with a lot of adrenaline. I think we're probably the worst fan base when it comes to overhyping players after one game or even one shift so let's take it easy.

But yeah with that said I'm pretty fricken stoked about having him so far.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
I think Roy played LW back in the Drury, Briere Sabres days. The rookie, sophomore seasons to be specific

I see during a shift or two you might see Roy on Kesler's wing. Some analyst was saying whether you want an injury-riddled Kesler to play so close to the boards where you'll get banged and crashed.
That's a reason why Kesler shouldn't be on the wing

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
2 thumbs up, when Kesler comes back were SOLID.

if this team stays healthy and plays like they can finishing every check they could have a run.

Roy was looking dangerous, deadly pass, filthy dish !

Wizeman*

I never heard anything about him before. He sure looked good. He can pass and shoot. Good so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad