Derek Roy has been invisible as a Canuck

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
How many of you were the same ones shouting "Take all our money! Re-sign at all costs!!" two games into his tenure?

The team says "not too high, not too low". The fans' motto is the precise opposite. The concept of sample size seems really lost on people here.

I don't think I commented on it at all but really this was just a meme people were having fun with, at a time when Burrows(?)/Ebbet/Lapierre were our 2-4 centers.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
How many of you were the same ones shouting "Take all our money! Re-sign at all costs!!" two games into his tenure?

The team says "not too high, not too low". The fans' motto is the precise opposite. The concept of sample size seems really lost on people here.

I wanted the money thrown at him, and I'm a big proponent of sample size/stats. I'm mixed now, because of what we have seen, but I'm still more leaning towards trying to bring him back. The issue is that we don't know how much his environment has impacted him here.

He's generally a 60-70 point player. Even when they stack the 2nd line, he hasn't been that here. So how do we evaluate that?

The sad thing is that a deal won't go down because we don't really know what we have.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Because as I've continuously been saying our forwards aren't good enough. How's he going to get assists when his wingers aren't that good at finishing?

This is a "chicken & egg" thing.

The coach stifles offensive talent, and then the players are accused of not having talent.

The fault certainly lies with both parties. I think the players at this point are squeezing their sticks too hard and trying not to make mistakes to the point where it's all backfiring. The game isn't fun anymore for this group.

King of the ES*

I'm frankly shocked anyone could think this team has been coached well in these playoffs. Bieksa has been on the ice for every single even strength goal against, yet continues to play more than the backbone of the defense, Garrison and Hamhuis.

Derek Roy has looked dangerous virtually every shift he's taken with Higgins on his wing yet AV continues to force feed him Raymond, a player he hasn't shown a lick of chemistry with.

Most importantly, the team won't play disciplined with AV behond the bench and it will ultimately be their undoing once again come playoff time. You want more goals, don't spend 20% of every game on the PK. Never mind how much it's killed momentum after a couple good starts in game 2 and 3...

Whether it's Higgins or whether it's Raymond shouldn't really matter. They're roughly equal players. Just because the two had a couple of good games together - against Edmonton, if I'm not mistaken - doesn't exactly mean that they're the next Kariya & Selanne. Fact is that both guys (all 3, including Raymond) have been nearly 100% absent over these three games. Roy made a nice play yesterday in stealing the puck in SJ's zone and feeding Hamhuis perfectly, but that was well into circus time and the Sharks were probably already drinking on the bench.

And I really have no idea how you think AV is responsible for this team's lack of discipline. Do you really think a guy like Hank is told to butt-end Couture in the head while on the bench and waiting for his next shift? Come on.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
And I really have no idea how you think AV is responsible for this team's lack of discipline. Do you really think a guy like Hank is told to butt-end Couture in the head while on the bench and waiting for his next shift? Come on.

Have you ever played hockey? The coach (and to a lesser extent, the captain) are responsible for keeping the bench composed.

This team has been anything but composed the past three games.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

The Canucks have been top 10 in minor penalties every season since AV was hired, top 5 a few times as well. I would be willing to bet they've taken the most minor penalties in the NHL since AV came aboard. That's with radically different rosters from the start until now, with one constant, the head coach.

Have you ever seen a Canuck miss a single shift in the last 7 years due to taking a bad penalty? No accountability for a lack of discipline.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
The Canucks have been top 10 in minor penalties every season since AV was hired, top 5 a few times as well. I would be willing to bet they've taken the most minor penalties in the NHL since AV came aboard. That's with radically different rosters from the start until now, with one constant, the head coach.

Have you ever seen a Canuck miss a single shift in the last 7 years due to taking a bad penalty? No accountability for a lack of discipline.

Yes, of course we've seen players benched after a penalty (Kassian, Ballard etc), but it has never (to my recollection) been the "core" guys.

stoneboat

Apr 11, 2010
I do agree with those that say Roy isn't playing with the same quality of wingers in Vancouver that he has elsewhere, and that will affect his production. On the other hand, though, I really haven't seen that many times when he gift-wrapped scoring chances for wingers and they flubbed them. Maybe a small handful of times, but nothing alarming.

No, I think the root of the problem (not just with Roy) is a major identity crisis, as Ferraro said, combined with some bad bounces and lack of confidence.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
another failed rental. it happens to teams every year. Very difficult to ask a guy to come into a new system, established veteran team, and carry a line. He didn't exactly help his contract negotiations with his performance, but I'd put him far down the list of problems we had in the series.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'd say he's as good as gone.

Au reviour, Monsieur Roy. Enjoy not getting that $6 million a season after your performance here.

The sad thing is we don't really know what he could have done here given a better environment. We don't know what he would play like in a more offensive system.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Was just going to bump this thread....

Played like he didn't even want to be here. Good riddance.

I wish him nothing but misery going forward.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Hard to blame it on Roy. He wasn't good enough, but he was a square peg in a round hole.

No realistic acquisition could have saved this group.

true. even if van had aquired raffi torres/ryan clowe types. this team wouldnt be able to score. but still get penalties called against them.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I want to keep Roy just because I think under our new coach he will do well, and I want to have some reliable centre depth.

Leaning towards this, but again he's a diminutive LH centre who wants too much as he's a UFA...Didn't show enough in his time as a Canuck—too much dipsy doodling.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hard to blame it on Roy. He wasn't good enough, but he was a square peg in a round hole.

No realistic acquisition could have saved this group.

Totally agree, again players like him and Booth who thrive off of the rush/transition game to produce come here to die under AV. It's no coincidence that both had decent starts but got worse the longer they've been here.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Totally agree, again players like him and Booth who thrive off of the rush/transition game to produce come here to die under AV. It's no coincidence that both had decent starts but got worse the longer they've been here.

It's pretty much why I'm not opposed to keeping Booth and/or re-signing Roy. I think once we get our shiny new coach they'll excel much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad