Derek Roy has been invisible as a Canuck

Bieksallent

May 3, 2010
He'll be getting a payday.
Hopefully not from us.

Too soft, one-dimensional.
Not enough scoring prowess to make it worthwhile.

He's great on the forecheck, so does it really matter if he's soft? Does that not nullify the "one-dimensional" tag? His good possession numbers mean he's in the offensive zone more often than not, so does it really matter if he's not Ryan Kesler defensively? He's not bad in his own end either.

He's had a bad stretch of games, but so have 95% of our skaters and that doesn't negate the fact that he's a borderline first line center and a fantastic second line C.

We were never going to be able to afford him, but these past handful of games shouldn't stop us from at least trying to re-sign him while we have his rights.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
To be honest, I do not have many complaints for Roy. The guy has fallen victim to AV's endless parade of lineup changes and has to be frustrated by it. You find someone you mesh with almost immediately, then get paired up with another guy you mesh with but nope, the coach puts you with two guys you have absolutely no chemistry with and are expected to carry the line. Roy is fine if we actually used him properly.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
The tip-in and deep forecheck is easily being shutdown and it's our only strategy thus far. Roy isn't a grinder

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
if there's a silver lining it's that roy hasn't done anything down the stretch and in the playffs to enhance his ufa value...if the canucks can still sign him to a reasonable number then i'd be all for it

he's been neutered offensively like everybody else by av but a new coach could do wonders for the guy

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Roy has 1 goal in 31 playoff games....Enough said. Cleary nobody did their homework when it came to finding a guy (who gets it done in the playoffs) to centre the 3rd line! I didnt like the move when it was made....... Another under 6' forward being added to an already soft forward group???? It was a desperation move by Gillis at best, after failing to move luongo all season. The guy couldnt even land Raffi, after he let him walk to begin with. The sad part is that Torres has played better than every one of Vancouver's forwards this series, outside the brilliant half a game Kesler played in game 2!

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Roy hasn't done nearly enough, but I'm starting to wonder if anybody can score in the playoffs under this coach.

Guys like Higgins, Hansen, Raymond are half-decent players in the regular season, but when's the last time any of those three scored in a playoff game?

Throw in Lapierre, too. I know he's not a scorer, but you'd think maybe a puck would hit somebody and go in or something. It's absolutely crazy how few goals we get from our "support players" in the playoffs. I've never seen anything like it. Other teams seem to get flukey goals from fringe players, but our forwards don't even get a sniff. It's amazing.

I absolutely agree that the Canucks need more from our top players, but it's absolutely astonishing that, literally, no other forwards ever score in the playoffs.

Bieksallent

May 3, 2010
Roy has 1 goal in 31 playoff games....Enough said. Cleary nobody did their homework when it came to finding a guy (who gets it done in the playoffs) to centre the 3rd line! I didnt like the move when it was made....... Another under 6' forward being added to an already soft forward group???? It was a desperation move by Gillis at best, after failing to move luongo all season. The guy couldnt even land Raffi, after he let him walk to begin with. The sad part is that Torres has played better than every one of Vancouver's forwards this series, outside the brilliant half a game Kesler played in game 2!

If you're going to trash our players, at least get your facts straight. Look up Roy's playoff numbers again.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Guys like Higgins, Hansen, Raymond are half-decent players in the regular season, but when's the last time any of those three scored in a playoff game?

You can get away with playing on the perimeter and still putting up the odd point in the regular season. however, in the war of playoff hockey you arent going to get a sniff if you refuse to go into the dirty areas. I agree that AV makes plenty of coaching blunders, but he is working with a group of players who simply refuse to pay the physical price to get playoff goals, and, Raymond, and Higgins are a big part of that passenger group. Hansen is what I would call a tweener, he's not big enough to impose his physical will out there (try as he may), and hes not skilled enough to get it done other ways.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Ok so he has 2 goals in his last 26 playoff games....Wtf is the differnece? I mean seriously, do you think I was under-valuing his playoff performance?

HAHA.. No doubt. Talk about grasping at straws there.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Yea, Unfortunately Roy has never played well (offensively) in the playoffs. He can still be used as a decent shutdown center, but that's not exactly what you guys were hoping for come playoff time.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Invisible is probably going too far. But he's certainly been a non factor overall in the series. Just another guy on the Canucks that is an effective player in his role but not a difference maker.

Bieksallent

May 3, 2010
Ok so he has 2 goals in his last 26 playoff games....Wtf is the difference? I mean seriously, do you think I was under-valuing his playoff performance with those numbers?

Roy isn't a goalscorer, he's a creator. That's like picking on Henrik for not scoring enough goals.

Either way, he's got 25 points in 41 playoff games prior to this year, much of that as a third line centre. I think he's exactly what the team needs long term and if we make some moves, we can make a competitive offer for him. In saying that, I believe he's going to cash in big along with the few other skilled players in sparse free agent class and we won't be able to match the ridiculous fee he'll get from a desperate team with more cap room to operate. We could possibly offer up to $5m, he'll probably get closer to $6m long term.

As for this BS about bigger, stronger, etc. How many playoff points does Milan Lucic have?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
To be honest, I do not have many complaints for Roy. The guy has fallen victim to AV's endless parade of lineup changes and has to be frustrated by it. You find someone you mesh with almost immediately, then get paired up with another guy you mesh with but nope, the coach puts you with two guys you have absolutely no chemistry with and are expected to carry the line. Roy is fine if we actually used him properly.

He's expected to be a legit top 6 centre, closer to a 1st line center than a 2nd line center. He should be producing some secondary scoring somehow.

He'll walk this summer and I don't think many of us will miss him. He shouldn't be in the Canucks' plans moving forward.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Roy isn't a goalscorer, he's a creator. That's like picking on Henrik for not scoring enough goals.

Either way, he's got 25 points in 41 playoff games prior to this year, much of that as a third line centre. I think he's exactly what the team needs long term and if we make some moves, we can make a competitive offer for him. In saying that, I believe he's going to cash in big along with the few other skilled players in sparse free agent class and we won't be able to match the ridiculous fee he'll get from a desperate team with more cap room to operate. We could possibly offer up to $5m, he'll probably get closer to $6m long term.

As for this BS about bigger, stronger, etc. How many playoff points does Milan Lucic have?

How many Stanley Cups does Derek Roy have? Are you suggesting Roy is more valuable to his team than Lucic?
There isnt a player on our current roster that I wouldnt do a 1 for 1 deal to bring Milan Lucic home to Van for. In-fact I would gladly trade both Sedins for him right now!

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
man, people bagging on roy but i see him make lots of plays that don't end up as goals that i don't see as his fault. he creates chances for guys on his line, he is very good with the forecheck and he's very crafty in his own zone digging pucks out and sending the play the other way. yeah he can get physically dominated by bigger guys, but not all the time. he's the 3rd best playmaker on the team and that's a sorely needed skill on the canucks. anyone that can move kesler to a wing is a player you want to keep around.

arsmaster*

If you take out his rookie year, he has 10 points in his last 23 playoff games prior to this year.

He isn't even a clearcut upgrade on Jordan Schroeder.

Didn't mind the acquisition cost, but he's been a flop.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He's expected to be a legit top 6 centre, closer to a 1st line center than a 2nd line center. He should be producing some secondary scoring somehow.

He'll walk this summer and I don't think many of us will miss him. He shouldn't be in the Canucks' plans moving forward.

He's not a first line centre and never has been. In Buffalo, he was always streaky and needed a good supporting cast to be effective. We actually have that in Higgins and Kesler but opt not to use it and stick him with Raymond and Hansen. Even the Sedins can't do anything with those two. Much as I love Hansen, he is a depth winger and nothing more, while Raymond is a bloody mess.

I am indifferent to Roy either way but he's far from the problem and could be apart of the solution if he was given actual talent to work with instead of being expected to carry our deadweight.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
AV has a special talent for nullifying skill players on his own team, come playoff time.

I think Roy was a good acquisition on paper but for an AV coached team we'd have been better off getting Torres and Boyd Gordon for a 2nd & 3rd, and then playing shutdown hockey.

Ferraro offered up a good insight this morning, AV and Gillis are completely different in their hockey philosophies and the team is stuck in no-man's land with no identity or direction.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
AV has a special talent for nullifying skill players on his own team, come playoff time.

I think Roy was a good acquisition on paper but for an AV coached team we'd have been better off getting Torres and Boyd Gordon for a 2nd & 3rd, and then playing shutdown hockey.

Ferraro offered up a good insight this morning, AV and Gillis are completely different in their hockey philosophies and the team is stuck in no-man's land with no identity or direction.

Well said. I just hope that once AV gets canned that Gillis goes back to his original philosophy of an offensive, puck-possession oriented team. Another thing with AV is that he wants every line to play the dump and chase, cycle the puck game and people wonder why players like Derek Roy and David Booth who play more of a speed/transition game off of the rush don't produce when they get here and seem to get worse as they adapt to the system more and more.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Well said. I just hope that once AV gets canned that Gillis goes back to his original philosophy of an offensive, puck-possession oriented team. Another thing with AV is that he wants every line to play the dump and chase, cycle the puck game and people wonder why players like Derek Roy and David Booth who play more of a speed/transition game off of the rush don't produce when they get here and seem to get worse as they adapt to the system more and more.
see Ballard's wasted years here.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Roy is a legitimate top 6 centre, and he's not creating enough out there when he has been able to everywhere else. What does that say about this system?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any way to listen back on the morning show? Would be interesting to hear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad