Player Discussion Derek Forbort

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
im not sure the bruins would be in a worse situation team wise had they just exposed reilly, not signed forbort, and let lauzon and zboril take over.

like, we would be objectively in a better situation cap wise. or how about keeping reilly and exposing moore? (was that not an option? forgive me if so)

either way it just seems like sweeney keeps trying to do things half way. Can't trust the youth HE drafted yet keeps making similar draft decisions year after year. Then keeps dumping a dollar here, a dollar there, on players we end up waiving or being not any better than the kids in terms of actual on ice performance. Lot's of wasted money on these guys when he could use it to go for guys like Hertle at the deadline or Eichel in general.

To go for someone like Hertle this team will need to be in playoff contention come the deadline ... is Sweeney going to go all in? Use draft picks? You know he hates to give up first rounders. Or do you think Sweeney will gamble and hope Hertle hits FA and entice him to come to Boston with $$$ and the opportunity to play alongside pastrnak?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
What a bizarre strawman post. Electric? They were depth signings. No one thought otherwise.
That's not true- the whole talking point around this particular player was, "Well, he played a lot of minutes with Drew Doughty, therefore, he can do the same with McAvoy!"

Forbort was not considered a depth signing. He was supposed to play with McAvoy, at least in defensive situations. The other players? Sure, but Forbort was supposed to have an important role; he was not a depth signing.

and LOL at the people claiming he is a bottom six defender, be honest, that's not where you had him in the off-season :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That's not true- the whole talking point around this particular player was, "Well, he played a lot of minutes with Drew Doughty, therefore, he can do the same with McAvoy!"

Forbort was not considered a depth signing. He was supposed to play with McAvoy, at least in defensive situations. The other players? Sure, but Forbort was supposed to have an important role; he was not a depth signing.

and LOL at the people claiming he is a bottom six defender, be honest, that's not where you had him in the off-season :laugh:
I "think" I was one who didn`t have him on the top pairing that`s for sure, I didn`t know enough about him to really make a terribly accurate assessment but what I thought he would be is a sound 5-6 guy who could slide into a #4 role for brief spurts.

It`s no different than having a Nosek on the 2nd line or Lazar on the 3rd, way out of place in the lineup in those roles, Butch needs to give his head a shake

Reactions: Gordoff

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

The problem with the front office and some fans is that they get overly excited about players who were once decent, but are no longer peaking due to declining skill, age, or injury issues. Same can be said for getting too excited about players who had one good recent regular season or playoff stretch, but whose career has otherwise been lackluster. Overpaying for such players and then expecting them to play up in the lineup has not generally worked out well for DS. He has banked on several aforementioned type players for this season. As a GM you do that once in a while, not at the deadline and summer in a consistent manner. But, I know, the Bs will get lots of points in the regular season and DS is a genius GM. Hope the Bs get past the second round of the playoffs this year with this D corps.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The problem with the front office and some fans is that they get overly excited about players who were once decent, but are no longer peaking due to declining skill, age, or injury issues. Same can be said for getting too excited about players who had one good recent regular season or playoff stretch, but whose career has otherwise been lackluster. Overpaying for such players and then expecting them to play up in the lineup has not generally worked out well for DS. He has banked on several aforementioned type players for this season. As a GM you do that once in a while, not at the deadline and summer in a consistent manner. But, I know, the Bs will get lots of points in the regular season and DS is a genius GM. Hope the Bs get past the second round of the playoffs this year with this D corps.
You rarely get good players in the reduced bin of free agency, and shopping there illustrates how poorly your farm system has performed in providing you with cheap alternatives for the bottom of the roster. Forbort has been dreadful, and McAvoy seems unable to carry him thus far.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It`s no different than having a Nosek on the 2nd line or Lazar on the 3rd, way out of place in the lineup in those roles, Butch needs to give his head a shake

Butch is in a tough spot here- he has zero to do with player signings or roster moves, so he tries to figure out the best use of what he's got which not only includes talent levels, but also play style, roles, and chemistry. Sometimes he has chicken for the salad, sometimes it's chickenshit.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Who could have seen this working out the way it has? Oh yeah, anyone that had ever seen Forbort play. He's not a top pairing guy. I mean, f***, he's not even a second pairing guy. He's a bottom pairing guy that they grossly overpaid, trying to be smarter than everyone else in the league. The irony is that when they do this bullshit, it never works out for them. What a f***ing shocker, right? At what point do they give up this nonsense and stop trying to outsmart the rest of the league, because it doesn't work out for them. Ever.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
upload_2021-11-7_16-11-52.jpeg

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Who could have seen this working out the way it has? Oh yeah, anyone that had ever seen Forbort play. He's not a top pairing guy. I mean, f***, he's not even a second pairing guy. He's a bottom pairing guy that they grossly overpaid, trying to be smarter than everyone else in the league. The irony is that when they do this bullshit, it never works out for them. What a f***ing shocker, right? At what point do they give up this nonsense and stop trying to outsmart the rest of the league, because it doesn't work out for them. Ever.

Is it trying to outsmart the rest of the league or is it that they’re just really dumb?

One thing is for sure: The pro scouting is atrocious.

Last edited:

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Is it trying to outsmart the rest of the league or is it that they’re just really dumb?

One thing is for sure: The pro scouting is atrocious.

I thought it said a lot that the Jets would rather trade two 2nd round picks for Dillon than re-sign Derek Forbort. Speaking of the Jets, they did exactly what the Bruins should have done to their defense this past offseason.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

I get that's what he was SUPPOSED to be... but there were quite a lot of people hesitant thinking he could be that. I wasn't a fan of the signing (in addition to the Reilly signing and still having John Moore on the Roster

I think the almost 12M cap space we have on LD's that fit better in the bottom 4 (Gryz, Reilly, Forbot, Moore), while missing an actual top pair LD is an issue. Not the only issue, but definitely part of the problem.

Anyways, I want Forbot to be better than he has been. Did I expect him to be. No. But I guess I was open to him surprising. And he hasn't.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Forbort will be fine. There are several more players on the team so far that have been more underwhelming.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I want to see him succeed, but I think the Bruins did some bidding against themselves for his services. If you wanted to throw a veteran lefty with McAvoy to see what would happen, John Moore was/is readily available.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Bruce Cassidy Calls Out Derek Forbort After Bruins' Loss To Maple Leafs

Cassidy was incensed at the play Forbort made during a Toronto power play when he apparently touched the puck with one hand and gave it back to the Maple Leafs who ended up scoring. “The entry was just soft in the middle of the ice. I mean, one hand on the stick?” Cassidy said. “You just can’t do that. You gotta be hard in those areas. A lot of talent on the other side — and any team you play against — you can’t clear pucks with one hand on your stick. That’s on us...One hundred percent (he needs to be harder to go against). That’s what he’s here for, right? He’s here to be a hard defender and be physical and make a good first pass. On that one, he just has to be harder.”

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Feel free to name them.
Smith, Riely, Foglino, Haula, and Studnicka to start - they were planning to lean on those guys pretty heavy early in the season and have nothing to show from them.

Getting heavy Andrew Alberts vibes from Forbort so far, hoping he settles in and has more to give. He's also the kind of player who Chara could cover for on a top pairing (and was asked to repeatedly as the #1 D). Might be too much to ask of McAvoy, though soon he'll be getting paid to do as much.

Wouldnt mind seeing Zboril again - he's got some jam and IMO deserves some time when other guys aint bringing it.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Bruce Cassidy Calls Out Derek Forbort After Bruins' Loss To Maple Leafs

Cassidy was incensed at the play Forbort made during a Toronto power play when he apparently touched the puck with one hand and gave it back to the Maple Leafs who ended up scoring. “The entry was just soft in the middle of the ice. I mean, one hand on the stick?” Cassidy said. “You just can’t do that. You gotta be hard in those areas. A lot of talent on the other side — and any team you play against — you can’t clear pucks with one hand on your stick. That’s on us...One hundred percent (he needs to be harder to go against). That’s what he’s here for, right? He’s here to be a hard defender and be physical and make a good first pass. On that one, he just has to be harder.”

Under pressure this guy doesn't have the hands or hockey IQ to make a consistent first pass. He can and
must be a shot blocking machine and play dirty
more frequently.

If not this is going to turn into Sweeney's worse FA
signing. Guy is trending as one of the worst Dmen

5/5 in the league, on a team with McAvoy, Carlo, Bergeron and Marchand on it.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Under pressure this guy doesn't have the hands or hockey IQ to make a consistent first pass. He can and
more frequently.

more frequently.

Forbort as the worst Sweeney signing is really saying something from a guy who signed Belesky and Backas! Also in competition are Haula, Reilly and the rest of the off season blunders.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They had to move firsts in deals to dump Beleskey and Backes, no way this contract is worse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad