Player Discussion Derek Forbort

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

When are we going to talk about how our free agent signing are trash and YA BOY @UncleRico nailed it while the vast majority of you guys had shiny new toy syndrome and thought they’d be electric.

A lot of you TRASHED me for saying these were marginal signings. Straight name calling and they are still garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: The National

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020

When are we going to talk about how our free agent signing are trash and YA BOY @UncleRico nailed it while the vast majority of you guys had shiny new toy syndrome and thought they’d be electric.

A lot of you TRASHED me for saying these were marginal signings. Straight name calling and they are still garbage.

The vast majority didn’t like the signing either, including me. At least some of us were willing to give him a chance. I’m not going to completely give up on him but he definitely shouldn’t be on the top pairing with McAvoy.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Nice job. :thumbu:

tumblr_nh3o0eyW5A1sj4xr4o1_500_zpsgr6gsl08.0.gif

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Giving NTC to Forbort must be the biggest lol for quite a long time.

Sweeney's plan to bring in the offseason a top pair LHD went quickly downhill as one by one Martinez, Ekholm, Oleksiak all have signed their new contracts. Sweeney had no balls to offersheet Pelech either.
In a pure desperation move Sweeney looks to the leftovers and decides to bring in a fake top pair LHD whos last contract was a 1year for $1m . To sell it to a fanbase he signes Forbort for 3 years, triples his salary with a cherry on the top NTC. Just wonder if anybody told Derek what he was up to.
Sweeney is a pure genius :biglaugh:

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Sweeney's plan to bring in the offseason a top pair LHD went quickly downhill as one by one Martinez, Ekholm, Oleksiak all have signed their new contracts.
None of these players were available to get besides maybe Ekholm who ended up extending with NSH. Martinez and Oleksiak never hit FA.
Sweeney had no balls to offersheet Pelech either.
Offer sheets are rarely ever successful. Who’s to say Pelech would even sign an offersheet? Not as easy as you may think it is.

Reactions: DBL84

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015

What a bizarre strawman post. Electric? They were depth signings. No one thought otherwise.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am grateful for many things today including that HF Boards posters have a bottom 6 defenseman to put all their energy and time and overreaction into.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I think it is less that any one player is junk, or that (largely) posters are actively rooting against a player, it’s more the “alternative use of capital” aspect of this and that most of the dollars are allocated to situational minutes and that puts more pressure on the guys who can consistently play.

They’ve got about 12.5M invested in their left side (including Moore). Could that have been allocated more prudently?

not sure I see any changes coming tho; two new deals, a guy who could have been had for free on waivers, and Gryz.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Is he really any better than Tinordi.

I caught a glimpse of the Flames-Rangers game earlier on replay and Tinordi was down low in his own zone protecting the puck and that exact same thought (Is Tinordi just as good as Forbort?) went through my head.

While they are similar, they are also different. Tinordi is heavier and tougher, while Forbort is the better player with the puck on his stick. Both are big guys who can move well for their size.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I caught a glimpse of the Flames-Rangers game earlier on replay and Tinordi was down low in his own zone protecting the puck and that exact same thought (Is Tinordi just as good as Forbort?) went through my head.

While they are similar, they are also different. Tinordi is heavier and tougher, while Forbort is the better player with the puck on his stick. Both are big guys who can move well for their size.
I think Tinordi plays a safer game in his own end ,and really neither should be in the top 4 ,so for a 5th or 6th parrying D they would have saved quite a bit of cap space with Tinordi,I guess is really only my point.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Tinordi plays a safer game in his own end ,and really neither should be in the top 4 ,so for a 5th or 6th parrying D they would have saved quite a bit of cap space with Tinordi,I guess is really only my point.

Ultimately Forbort has a longer track record than Tinordi at playing in the NHL, he's the more proven commodity. Tinordi is a bit of a late bloomer to a certain degree and has never really been a regular everyday NHL player. Would of saved some cap, but also would of been more of a gamble. I can see why Sweeney went the route he did.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

I think Forbort has slightly better skating ability which keeps him from being just a depth defensemen. Tinordi isn’t a realistic every game defenseman imo.

Reactions: BruinDust

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
im not sure the bruins would be in a worse situation team wise had they just exposed reilly, not signed forbort, and let lauzon and zboril take over.

like, we would be objectively in a better situation cap wise. or how about keeping reilly and exposing moore? (was that not an option? forgive me if so)

either way it just seems like sweeney keeps trying to do things half way. Can't trust the youth HE drafted yet keeps making similar draft decisions year after year. Then keeps dumping a dollar here, a dollar there, on players we end up waiving or being not any better than the kids in terms of actual on ice performance. Lot's of wasted money on these guys when he could use it to go for guys like Hertle at the deadline or Eichel in general.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Look, I hated this signing. I also think his ceiling is a #6 defenseman on a bad contract. But c'mon, let's at least give him a few months to possibly get comfortable* before declaring this a total disaster. It's a whole new system for him. If he's still anywhere this bad when February rolls around I will be at the front of the line with my pitchfork.

*Please just let him do that far away as possible from McAvoy.

Reactions: finchster

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
as others have stated, he`s a 5-6, can`t force feed a guy like him top 2 or 4 minutes and expect great results. The B`s D were owned by the Leafs physically which is embarrassing, when Mitchy Marner is winning a board battle , your in trouble

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad