Confirmed with Link: Derek Forbort - 3 yrs @ 3 Mil AAA

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’m definitely jumping the gun, but that was pretty ugly.
Yep, I also look at new players and their positions. I typically find C`s and D the one`s who take a bit longer to assimilate. It wasn`t pretty for sure but I`m far from worried about him, he will never be a highlight reel guy anyways, all I want is a solid, stay at home guy who won`t let opponents easily push their way to the front of the net

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’m definitely jumping the gun, but that was pretty ugly.
I think it’s fair to mention. If he was kicking ass out there, that would be fair game to mention with no brake-pumping required.

I’m giving him time too. But I’m with ya in that tonight didn’t exactly inspire confidence.

Reactions: Tbaybruin and kjpm

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I’m not declaring it a bad signing yet but not a great first impression. I was more concerned with what looked bad, didn’t seem like just a system learning issue. Turnovers from losing puck battles or missing breakout opportunities.

I’ll give him a break :wg:

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
has been on the ice with new teammates, new system for what? Week and a half. Give it time
Reilly had less time to adjust before playing his first game with us and he played great. Forbort is what we saw from him tonight unfortunately. Maybe he improves slightly but there are going to be lots of times where he looked just as bad as he did today.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Reilly had less time to adjust before playing his first game with us and he played great. Forbort is what we saw from him tonight unfortunately. Maybe he improves slightly but there are going to be lots of times where he looked just as bad as he did today.

There’s a huge difference between your first pro game in months on top of a new team and playing after being acquired at a TDL with a new team.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

He struggled to get the puck out of the D zone on three occassions

I did like the size and reach though. Strong gap closing...like Carlo

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
There’s a huge difference between your first pro game in months on top of a new team and playing after being acquired at a TDL with a new team.
Is there really a huge difference? This isn’t Forbort’s first rodeo he’s been through this type of thing before. He might improve slightly overtime but I don’t expect it to be drastically different. Forbort is a 3rd pairing defensemen making $3M. That’s a problem.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don’t know why Sweeney didn’t just pay a 2nd to bring Lauzon back instead of paying $3M for someone potentially worse. I would’ve rather done nothing and just kept the $3M worth of cap space than signing a bottom pairing defensemen at that price.
Don’t forget the modified NTC he gave him.

Reactions: trenton1

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Well I though this was a dumb signing right from the bat, but Forbort wasn't awful in Winnipeg. On the other hand, marginal players like him tend to fizzle out pretty quickly. Would be very "funny" if both him and Moore find themselves watching games together in the press box while eating almost 6 million dollars of cap space.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not going to take a victory lap on this yet, but a couple of things are evident with this player. 1, the team doesn't look at Gryz as a top pairing guy, something I've been saying for a long time, and 2, Sweeney continues to suck at scouting NHL level talent. Forbort is and has always been a bottom pairing guy, now he's just grossly overpaid to be so.

Reactions: The National

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not going to take a victory lap on this yet, but a couple of things are evident with this player. 1, the team doesn't look at Gryz as a top pairing guy, something I've been saying for a long time, and 2, Sweeney continues to suck at scouting NHL level talent. Forbort is and has always been a bottom pairing guy, now he's just grossly overpaid to be so.

But not a victory lap yet…ok.

Reactions: DBL84 and DominicT

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Wasn't impressed with his game last night but I'm not going to judge anyone off their first preseason game. My concern with him on the top unit is that he won't be able to execute breakouts cleanly as often as he needs to and it hinders the top line by making them spend more time playing defense than they would with the Grzelcyk - McAvoy pair. I did think he did a good job late in the game making stops in the defensive zone though, which ought to be his bread and butter on this D corps.

We'll see what happens once he gets some games and more familiarity under his belt. I suspect we'll once again be looking for an all situations partner for McAvoy at the deadline.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Gryz is seen as a part-time top pairing guy. In 2021 he got more time with McAvoy than anyone else - 349 even strength minutes compared to Lauzon's 329. He's viewed as situational on that pairing and I think that remains the case. It's also known that he's going to get injured from time to time and can't be relied upon to be available to the extent that a guy like Chara was. Now it's simply hoped that Forbort becomes the new Lauzon as the guy who can play that more shutdown, more physical role when required while Gryz is the default 1LD and the playmaker who's especially used when the team is trying to drive offense.

In theory it's not a bad system, but it's contingent on Forbort being up to the task of taking on solid top pair minutes, which remains to be seen and on past performance is a tad optimistic, and on Gryz being able to work through heavier traffic and be as effective in playoffs as he is in regular season games, which to date for the most part he hasn't been. As long as Gryz stays fit and Forbort doesn't totally tank in Boston, then I'm pretty confident that Gryz/Forbort-McAvoy will be just fine in the regular season, just as Matt and Charlie were in the last one. But if Sweeney takes the same concept to the playoffs again, then I see no reason as to why it should work any better than it did this year. We're left looking to the deadline again for the GM to give the team all that it actually needs to have a fighting chance. That's frustrating to say the least.

Reactions: Dr Hook and LSCII

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
For the record, jumping the gun on a definitive opinion in either direction based on just a couple pre-season games---heck even the first couple of months of the regular season---is a fool's errand. I just think we know who and what Forbort is based on his career, and that's a turnover machine who is going to get exposed on a top pairing. A partner who will drag McAvoy down.

My bet is most everyone is going to want him gone by season's end.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Gryz is seen as a part-time top pairing guy. In 2021 he got more time with McAvoy than anyone else - 349 even strength minutes compared to Lauzon's 329. He's viewed as situational on that pairing and I think that remains the case. It's also known that he's going to get injured from time to time and can't be relied upon to be available to the extent that a guy like Chara was. Now it's simply hoped that Forbort becomes the new Lauzon as the guy who can play that more shutdown, more physical role when required while Gryz is the default 1LD and the playmaker who's especially used when the team is trying to drive offense.

In theory it's not a bad system, but it's contingent on Forbort being up to the task of taking on solid top pair minutes, which remains to be seen and on past performance is a tad optimistic, and on Gryz being able to work through heavier traffic and be as effective in playoffs as he is in regular season games, which to date for the most part he hasn't been. As long as Gryz stays fit and Forbort doesn't totally tank in Boston, then I'm pretty confident that Gryz/Forbort-McAvoy will be just fine in the regular season, just as Matt and Charlie were in the last one. But if Sweeney takes the same concept to the playoffs again, then I see no reason as to why it should work any better than it did this year. We're left looking to the deadline again for the GM to give the team all that it actually needs to have a fighting chance. That's frustrating to say the least.

I get that Gryz logged minutes on the top pairing last year, but that's like saying Coyle is a second line center, when in reality both happened because they didn't have better alternatives. Which is why they threw a bunch of money at a stiff like Forbort. Because organizationally they don't view Gryz as a top pairing guy either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad