Confirmed with Link: Derek Forbort - 3 yrs @ 3 Mil AAA

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Was 5th in the league in blocked shots last year.

closest Bruins:
McAvoy - 46th
Lauzon - 121st
Clifton - 124th
Carlo - 206th
Grzelcyk - 221st

Guy is a shot blocking monster:
2016-2017 - 19th - 159 BS
2017-2018 - 19th - 156 BS
2018-2019 - 35th - 139 BS
2019-2020 - 362nd - played only 20 games that season.

I don’t hate this signing. I’m more upset it wasn’t done in conjunction with another top-4 D-man like Suter.

Forbort-McAvoy
Suter-Carlo

Guess we’ll just have to see how this season plays out.
This is a bad signing. Worse than the John Moore signing. This is a borderline bottom pairing defensemen that was forced into top 4 roles on LA and Winnipeg because their blue lines were terrible. When the Flames acquired him a couple seasons ago at the deadline he was on their bottom pair alongside Erik Gustafsson and the Flames didn't even have that great of a D corpse.

Reactions: hn777

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Give the guy a chance
He has been on mediocre teams his entire career
Forbort is just what they needed
The some of you are commenting you would think Sweeney gave him 5 mil a year
The Forbort - McAvoy is the way to go they will play half the game

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Old board friend and reporter, Mick Colageo, doing some breakdown of game on Twitter, fwiw

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We needed a LD version of Carlo worse than a fish needs water.

Zboril and Urho might not even be qualified for 7-8 on the depth chart.

If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.

Reactions: TCB

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Give the guy a chance
He has been on mediocre teams his entire career
Forbort is just what they needed
The some of you are commenting you would think Sweeney gave him 5 mil a year
The Forbort - McAvoy is the way to go they will play half the game

I think you will see McAvoy primarily with Gryz, but there will be situations where Forbert will be with him.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
The more important for youre teammates is to show that you care for them and go regardless of the outcome. I know i speak for myself but when shit was happening when i was playing it give me a boost anyway. Plus wana get that son of a b**** more.

Yup I agree with much of this. Wins and losses in fights mean a lot less than standing up. My point was really that fans shouldn’t expect this guy to be Shawn Thornton. But for sure if he brings some snarl and take no shit attitude it’ll be huge for this team.

Reactions: Drunkenfish

Bearcrap

Jan 29, 2004
Pembroke
This is a bad signing. Worse than the John Moore signing. This is a borderline bottom pairing defensemen that was forced into top 4 roles on LA and Winnipeg because their blue lines were terrible. When the Flames acquired him a couple seasons ago at the deadline he was on their bottom pair alongside Erik Gustafsson and the Flames didn't even have that great of a D corpse.
Well then he should fit in well with the current Bruins blue line.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Freudian slip?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The new Karl Alzner

I’d have had no problem giving Alzner 3/9 at a point in his career. I remember him being shutdown in the playoffs against the Bruins

I noticed this in the Foligno thread too but people are comparing some of these signings to horrible signings from the past but they’re not even taking into account what made those signings horrible in the first place- the actual numbers. Like did they give Forbort 5 years at 4.75 mill per? Did they give Foligno 5 years at 6 mill per? Doesn’t look like it to me

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsNetwork

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't know this guy existed before the bruins offered him a contract...Here's hoping he ends up being a fantastic signing and look forward to watching him. I will reserve judgement until I see him 10-20 games in.
The one legit honest post

Reactions: Blowfish

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I bought Manchester Monarchs mini pack for 3-4 years up until they moved because my coworkers had season tickets my kid liked going to the games and not far from work

Forbort was there for that time and got to know his game well - skating was excellent and positionally sound. I was surprised it took him so long but then again I remember as a kid the saying was a defenseman does reach complete peak till 27.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad