Confirmed with Link: Derek Forbort - 3 yrs @ 3 Mil AAA

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I get that Gryz logged minutes on the top pairing last year, but that's like saying Coyle is a second line center, when in reality both happened because they didn't have better alternatives. Which is why they threw a bunch of money at a stiff like Forbort. Because organizationally they don't view Gryz as a top pairing guy either.

The problem with that argument is that Gryz's regular season numbers are elite. Not just good, but absolute pointy end stuff - amongst defenders 5v5 last season he ranked 4th for CF%, 1st for SF%, 5th for SCF%, and 2nd in the all important GF%. Obviously playing a lot with a stud in McAvoy helps those numbers a lot, but here's the thing - Gryz's stats are better than Charlie's, and McAvoy's drop when he's not with Gryz by 10-20%. So they each make the other play better and the pairing simply works. Statistically it's one of the very best in the league.

When you look at those figures, it's hard to believe that Grzelyck is only playing top pair by default. This time last year I was sceptical whether he was capable of filling that role, but he's proved me wrong. Obviously he's not a full-time, absolute A-grade top pair guy like McAvoy or Hedman because the defensive side of his game isn't at their level. But based on his 2021 performance he'd get solid 1st pair minutes on any team that doesn't rigidly stick to its duos being the same all the time.

The problem is playoffs. In the postseason Gryz is less effective - his numbers are still decent enough, but not top 5 like they are in the regular season. The reasons for this are obvious and don't need to be repeated. That's where you need the bigger, tougher bodies to carry more of the load, and last playoffs the Bs were just about getting by when they had both Miller and Carlo filling that role. Losing both was a massive blow, compounded by Lauzon struggling to fill the void, and the team never recovered. Now Miller and Lauzon are gone, and we have Forbort. And Moore/Zboril. And a Carlo with a concussion history that worries me. Is that enough? Really really not convinced that it is.

Last edited:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Gryz is seen as a part-time top pairing guy. In 2021 he got more time with McAvoy than anyone else - 349 even strength minutes compared to Lauzon's 329. He's viewed as situational on that pairing and I think that remains the case. It's also known that he's going to get injured from time to time and can't be relied upon to be available to the extent that a guy like Chara was. Now it's simply hoped that Forbort becomes the new Lauzon as the guy who can play that more shutdown, more physical role when required while Gryz is the default 1LD and the playmaker who's especially used when the team is trying to drive offense.

In theory it's not a bad system, but it's contingent on Forbort being up to the task of taking on solid top pair minutes, which remains to be seen and on past performance is a tad optimistic, and on Gryz being able to work through heavier traffic and be as effective in playoffs as he is in regular season games, which to date for the most part he hasn't been. As long as Gryz stays fit and Forbort doesn't totally tank in Boston, then I'm pretty confident that Gryz/Forbort-McAvoy will be just fine in the regular season, just as Matt and Charlie were in the last one. But if Sweeney takes the same concept to the playoffs again, then I see no reason as to why it should work any better than it did this year. We're left looking to the deadline again for the GM to give the team all that it actually needs to have a fighting chance. That's frustrating to say the least.
This is very well written as usual.

I love the idea that Grezclyk/Forbort can form a money ball version of a top pair top LD. I do see Grezclyk getting 60-70% of the time. This is akin to RB by committee rather than a Feature back.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Fluto with a good article on Forbort today:

Derek Forbort’s crash course on Bruins' zone defense: Squash and slide, pass-offs and staying tight

Derek Forbort has 331 games of NHL experience. He has yet to log his first, however, as a Bruin. This means he’s turning to Charlie McAvoy, six years his junior, to serve as his temporary on-ice conductor.

“He’s been doing a good job at helping me out with new terminology and D-zone style,” Forbort said. “It’s a little different from what I played before.”

Forbort is the lone newbie to the blue line. The 29-year-old’s trick is to learn the nuances of the Bruins’ zone defense. It doesn’t come naturally for a defenseman who played man-to-man in Winnipeg. Some of the Bruins’ defensive principles, in fact, are black compared to the Jets’ white.
Time will tell how well Forbort adjusts.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
The problem with that argument is that Gryz's regular season numbers are elite. Not just good, but absolute pointy end stuff - amongst defenders 5v5 last season he ranked 4th for CF%, 1st for SF%, 5th for SCF%, and 2nd in the all important GF%. Obviously playing a lot with a stud in McAvoy helps those numbers a lot, but here's the thing - Gryz's stats are better than Charlie's, and McAvoy's drop when he's not with Gryz by 10-20%. So they each make the other play better and the pairing simply works. Statistically it's one of the very best in the league.

When you look at those figures, it's hard to believe that Grzelyck is only playing top pair by default. This time last year I was sceptical whether he was capable of filling that role, but he's proved me wrong. Obviously he's not a full-time, absolute A-grade top pair guy like McAvoy or Hedman because the defensive side of his game isn't at their level. But based on his 2021 performance he'd get solid 1st pair minutes on any team that doesn't rigidly stick to its duos being the same all the time.

The problem is playoffs. In the postseason Gryz is less effective - his numbers are still decent enough, but not top 5 like they are in the regular season. The reasons for this are obvious and don't need to be repeated. That's where you need the bigger, tougher bodies to carry more of the load, and last playoffs the Bs were just about getting by when they had both Miller and Carlo filling that role. Losing both was a massive blow, compounded by Lauzon struggling to fill the void, and the team never recovered. Now Miller and Lauzon are gone, and we have Forbort. And Moore/Zboril. And a Carlo with a concussion history that worries me. Is that enough? Really really not convinced that it is.
But Gryz has been sub par when it counts, playoffs
Simple

You may have said this in the short story you wrote and if you did I apologize

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What the hell is going on with this interview? He clearly said a few naughty words

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
They gave him a $500 gift card to Hooters for being on the show.

They couldn't pony up something better?

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
You got that right

They aren't bad when they stay on topic and stick to sports. When they start singing random songs is when it goes south quick.

With that being said I would rather listen to them everyday and twice on Sunday than Felger

Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad