GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
14 for being the league leader in interceptions is not a lot

Raiders aren’t eliminated by the way.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Interception totals are overplayed. Not all picks are created equal. Josh Allen has 13 picks…and theyre 12-3 with a +157 point differential and a top 5 scoring offense. The number of picks doesn’t matter if you’re making plays, putting up points and winning. You live with them when you’re getting top end results around them. Carr wasn’t doing that.

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Raiders just throwing in the towel and going tank mode to guarantee a top 10 pick

Sucks for anyone going against the 49ers Defense in their Fantasy league title games this weekend

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just Tank, Baby!!!
Final 2 games are vs SF and KC. One an elite Defense, the other a high powered offence that you need to keep up with.
This is to ensure that should the raiders need to, that they can cut Carr with no further cap repercussions if they can’t find a trade partner.

I think he can be dealt but it’s not for a massive price since his cap hit is like $32 mill next season but the next 2 after that are like $42 mill or something.

Think it will be for a second round pick and a conditional pick similar to the wentz deal where it can go from a 3rd to a 2nd based on snaps taken or making the PO.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Generally when you get one of the best WRs in football, your numbers should go up.

In Carr's case, they somehow went down. Through a full 17 games last year he threw for 4800 yards, 24 TDs and 14 INTs.

Through two less games this year, he threw for 3500 yards, one more TD and as many INTs as he did in 2021. At that point if you're the Raiders you're just done. 9 years in, Carr hasn't gotten any better and possibly even worse in some aspects.

Also kinda hilarious because the whole reason for DeVante Adams coming to Vegas was to play with his close friend since college. His close friend is now gone and he's now stuck here for the next 4 years.

I assume he stays regardless but it'll be interesting if he also starts looking for a way out.

Edit: It should be noted that they're not benching Carr because they're clamoring to see what Jarrett Stidham can give them. Carr has an injury guarantee in his deal and this is the Raiders ensuring that can't be triggered.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Generally when you get one of the best WRs in football, your numbers should go up.

In Carr's case, they somehow went down. Through a full 17 games last year he threw for 4800 yards, 24 TDs and 14 INTs.

Through two less games this year, he threw for 3500 yards, one more TD and as many INTs as he did in 2021. At that point if you're the Raiders you're just done. 9 years in, Carr hasn't gotten any better and possibly even worse in some aspects.

Also kinda hilarious because the whole reason for DeVante Adams coming to Vegas was to play with his close friend since college. His close friend is now gone and he's now stuck here for the next 4 years.

I assume he stays regardless but it'll be interesting if he also starts looking for a way out.

Edit: It should be noted that they're not benching Carr because they're clamoring to see what Jarrett Stidham can give them. Carr has an injury guarantee in his deal and this is the Raiders ensuring that can't be triggered.

Who is the 3rd QB? I wonder if they drop Carr to 3rd string to make him inactive to cover their ass? I feel like I recall at least a couple of times where a guy gets benched and his replacement gets knocked out of the game in the 1st Qtr and the former starter has to come back in

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Who is the 3rd QB? I wonder if they drop Carr to 3rd string to make him inactive to cover their ass? I feel like I recall at least a couple of times where a guy gets benched and his replacement gets knocked out of the game in the 1st Qtr and the former starter has to come back in
They can promote Chase Garbers from the PS to be the backup. He’s an undrafted rookie from Cal.

But this is to protect themselves from guaranteed money in Carr’s contract should they need to cut him in the event a trade can’t be completed.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Makes sense for the rest of this year after his terrible performances against the Rams and Steelers in must win games against bad opponents ended any playoff hopes and that injury clause in his contract but just such a terrible situation overall. Carr has been a top 10-15 range QB after his rookie year. You just can't let those guys go without an equal or better replacement lined up. Unless a Rodgers wants out I don't see anyone available that leads this team to more than 4 wins next year.

Only -2 point differential which is better than 5 teams currently in a playoff spot. Will finish -40 after losing to the Niners and Chiefs.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Good.

The Carr era needed to end, we get him the best receiver in the league and he plays like wet paper bag. 9 years of inconsistent nonsense, we need a new direction.

Carr pads the stats but never moves the needle, Joe Burrow moves the needle and he has more playoff wins in 3 years than Carr’s zero.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good.

The Carr era needed to end, we get him the best receiver in the league and he plays like wet paper bag. 9 years of inconsistent nonsense, we need a new direction.

Carr pads the stats but never moves the needle, Joe Burrow moves the needle and he has more playoff wins in 3 years than Carr’s zero.
Carr couldn’t close out any games this season. Be it ahead to gain first downs and chew up the clock or being behind late and needing a GWD to win the game.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Adams was a Raiders fan growing up so him playing with his hometown team was always the plan, regardless of the QB.

You’d think Carr with a number 1 receiver he would elevate his play? Nope, he plays like Jeff George on a binge hangover. That Pittsburgh game sealed the deal, Carr was terrible.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think there's also other further context needed.

Carr has been hurried around mid-pack among QB's.

Carr has been sacked at a mid-pack rate. So what I'm saying with these two things is that he's bad without the offensive line contributing to his downfall.

Brady and Carr lead the league in poor throw metrics.

Carr has the absolute lowest QB rating of any QB who started the entire season.

Carr has the lowest completion percentage of any QB who started the entire season, and he leads the league in picks as has already been posted.

Now I'm not sure McDaniels is a good coach, I'm pretty sure he's not but I'm also not sold that he's a bad coach for a variety of reasons largely pertaining to these statistics. The offensive line he was left to work with is a pile of garbage and they've done a decent job as shown in the first two stats. They also have the league's leading rusher on the team too. So the one offensive unit that we can point at as 'needing coaching' was the offensive line and the offensive line hasn't been bad. They haven't been bad and Carr still can't succeed so there's obviously a big problem there. This QB has had too many coaches to point at the situation and not see him as a major contributing factor to his own lack of success.

Also, as already posted our defense has no high draft capital invested into it so in this case I think we need the thirty million in cap relief to deal with that problem. As for what I'd try at QB next season, I would try a lot of guys. I wouldn't dip so low as to try Baker Mayfield but we've seen better QB's than him (with no future contract) lead their team a lot more capably than Carr this season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Our defensive coordinator is also definitely not doing a good job but taken into context with giving Carr a big contract and Carr not carrying the team, the previous group not making good first and second round picks, half the defensive starters coming off the waiver wire, there's obviously some big issues talent wise with that unit. The previous group also placed absolutely zero value in defensive tackles and we keep paying the price for that. I feel like you can count on two hands the amount of times our defensive tackles have blown up plays over the last five years.

But when you hand a guy like Carr a huge chunk of your cap he has to make up for that and he can't.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Carr's contract is also insured for injury, so they are avoiding the risk of a bad injury in the last two weeks making them owe him his entire 2023 salary.

Last edited:

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Carr's days are numbered. This gives me such a strange feeling. He's been my QB since 2014. I watched some good, some incredible but also some poor performances. Saddly enough his poor performances have outweighted his good ones by far this season. He just doesn't possess an X-factor.

I like him as a guy, but this is going to be the right decision. both sides are in need of a fresh start.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good.

Carr's weapons this season was Adams, Hollins, Cole at WR and Moreau at TE for the majority of the season.
Last season Carr had Renfrow, Zay Jones, split of Ruggs/Jackson, Waller. WR lacking the top end guy, but the receptions were more spread out and had a healthy Waller who was a matchup problem. They could move the ball, but had red zone issues.

I don't envision the Raiders landing one of the top 3 QBs in this draft and I don't see that McDaniels has a long enough leash to work with someone as raw as Richardson or allow Hooker to take a medical redshirt season next season. So, a young QB seems unlikely. Houston, Seattle, Detroit (both via trades), Indy, ATL and Car if they lose out would potentially target a QB. LV would have to garner enough in trade value for Carr to package that up to move up, but the further that they need to move up from, the higher the compensation for that swap of picks.

So, what are the Raider's options for a veteran QB? Because, that seems like the likely option for them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Carr's weapons this season was Adams, Hollins, Cole at WR and Moreau at TE for the majority of the season.
Last season Carr had Renfrow, Zay Jones, split of Ruggs/Jackson, Waller. WR lacking the top end guy, but the receptions were more spread out and had a healthy Waller who was a matchup problem. They could move the ball, but had red zone issues.

I don't envision the Raiders landing one of the top 3 QBs in this draft and I don't see that McDaniels has a long enough leash to work with someone as raw as Richardson or allow Hooker to take a medical redshirt season next season. So, a young QB seems unlikely. Houston, Seattle, Detroit (both via trades), Indy, ATL and Car if they lose out would potentially target a QB. LV would have to garner enough in trade value for Carr to package that up to move up, but the further that they need to move up from, the higher the compensation for that swap of picks.

So, what are the Raider's options for a veteran QB? Because, that seems like the likely option for them.

I have a Lions fan friend who is tight with one of the beat writers (I know which one but I'm not going to post it). My friend swears up and down that the Lions are absolutely not drafting a QB and that the chance to draft two defensive guys in R1 is too good to pass up.

Seattle obviously has the option to draft a QB or keep Geno. I would draft a QB because they're super unlikely to ever pick this high again in any reasonable conditions. If Atlanta and Carolina win again we'll go up as high as 6th. If they don't then there's too many hurdles to draft a QB. I think that leaves Houston, Seattle, Indy as teams that SHOULD draft a QB. I'm writing the Lions off for reasons I already said. I would draft Richardson if he was available no matter what.

Available QB's are Darnold, Minshew, Brady, Geno, Jimmy, Mike White, Daniel Jones, Mayfield. Tbh other than the last three I am fine with this group. Lamar is a free agent too but he's not going anywhere. Also to be honest I am partial to the first three guys on this list. I think if you pay one of these guys 12 million and repurpose the other 28 million that you'd be spending on a QB to defense instead, the team is a lot better off. And do you think any of these guys can play well with weapons at their disposal? I think so. If you intend to draft Richardson then the drafter should trend towards the last four guys in that group, but if you intend to sign one of those first three QB's, you should draft some defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad