scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018

Attachments

• IMG_20191113_153316_698.jpg
    IMG_20191113_153316_698.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 7

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Very true brother. My best Long Island striper!

I can almost taste it . Nothing like striper on the BBQ the same day as the catch . Make a little pouch out of foil and add your favorite seasonings and a little butter . Momma Mia !!! With a few cold brews of course . Stay safe

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
and now, worst of all, I am watching my dog slowly die of cancer.

Oh man, I've been there a few times. Nothing worse in the world. The next few weeks are all about keeping your pup in the best spirits possible. You can break down later. So sorry....

Reactions: Merrrlin

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Anyone have any tips for putting in golf? I f***ing suck at it. I'm debating buying a putting mat because I suck so f***ing bad.

A putting mat is not a realistic approximation of a putting green.

If you're new to the game you probably just need to practice putting more on a real green.

Practice for most golfers means hitting your driver 30+ times and then maybe a few short irons at the range without aiming at a target. Putting is usually an afterthought.

Make sure you have proper and consistent ball position and a smooth tempo.

Once that fails and you get desperate, you can go cross handed, claw grip or ten finger grip.

I find my putting is better when I skip the AM coffee. A beer on the turn doesn't hurt either. (Two, not so much).

Reactions: YearlyLottery

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
So here in deepest darkest Western Australia I go to a lunch meeting with a politician. I'm straight from a physio appointment and I have Islanders hoodie on.
At end of meeting he points at top and asks if I support "them".
Turns out he was in NY earlier in year and went to an Islanders game at Coliseum.
It was Rangers game we lost in overtime.
He loved it and said there was a big fight in crowd right in front of him.
Said a couple of Rangers fans were being extremely obnoxious.
Didn't think I'd ever meet another person here who'd been to the Coliseum! Lol

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
So here in deepest darkest Western Australia I go to a lunch meeting with a politician. I'm straight from a physio appointment and I have Islanders hoodie on.
Turns out he was in NY earlier in year and went to an Islanders game at Coliseum.
I was at that game. Not at the fight though!

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Great story.
The bolded part above is a bit repetitive, no?

Last edited:

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Elena Della Donne, reigning WNBA MVP, is upset that she was denied a medical exemption for chronic Lyme disease which she has had for 10 years. The exemption would have excused her from the shortened upcoming WNBA season yet given her full pay.

Here's what she had to say: “I’m now left with two choices: I can either risk my life … or forfeit my paycheck.” She must be kidding, right?

I'm almost twice her age and I go to work every day with far more exposure and higher personal risk than she does. In the hockey world, Kaapo Kakko has diabetes and he's planning on playing as far as I know.

Hockey is arguably the last major sport that has almost none of this sense of entitlement.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Elena Della Donne, reigning WNBA MVP, is upset that she was denied a medical exemption for chronic Lyme disease which she has had for 10 years. The exemption would have excused her from the shortened upcoming WNBA season yet given her full pay.

Here's what she had to say: “I’m now left with two choices: I can either risk my life … or forfeit my paycheck.” She must be kidding, right?

I'm almost twice her age and I go to work every day with far more exposure and higher personal risk than she does. In the hockey world, Kaapo Kakko has diabetes and he's planning on playing as far as I know.

Hockey is arguably the last major sport that has almost none of this sense of entitlement.
It's Type 2 diabetes that is more worrisome as that's been proven to increase severe illness from COVID-19. Not Type-1 which is what Kakko has. Lyme disease is similar to Type 2 in terms of increasing severe illness. I don't blame her for being scared to play. Not sure what any of this has to do with entitlement to be honest.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
It's Type 2 diabetes that is more worrisome as that's been proven to increase severe illness from COVID-19. Not Type-1 which is what Kakko has. Lyme disease is similar to Type 2 in terms of increasing severe illness. I don't blame her for being scared to play. Not sure what any of this has to do with entitlement to be honest.

She has every right to be concerned about her health and skip the season. I'm fine with that.
But....she wants to still get paid for not playing ball?
That's entitlement.

As for Type I vs II diabetes, I'll engage you on that one.
The analysis of risk factors for COVID complications is in the very early stages.
Type II patients are older and more obese. Those are the 2 main risk factors for adverse outcomes identified thus far.
Young Type I diabetics have not lived long enough to be at exceedingly high risk but diabetes in any form is associated with an impaired immune system.
I'd be concerned if I were Kakko or Max Domi.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
She has every right to be concerned about her health and skip the season. I'm fine with that.
But....she wants to still get paid for not playing ball?
That's entitlement.

As for Type I vs II diabetes, I'll engage you on that one.
The analysis of risk factors for COVID complications is in the very early stages.
Type II patients are older and more obese. Those are the 2 main risk factors for adverse outcomes identified thus far.
Young Type I diabetics have not lived long enough to be at exceedingly high risk but diabetes in any form is associated with an impaired immune system.
I'd be concerned if I were Kakko or Max Domi.
If she blew out her knee she would still get paid for not playing ball. A pro athlete under contract playing during COVID is obviously a very unique situation.

Let's say she did come back and got infected with COVID and had to be hospitalized. Should she stop getting paid? Would that make her entitled?

Fair points about diabetes.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
If she blew out her knee she would still get paid for not playing ball. A pro athlete under contract playing during COVID is obviously a very unique situation.

Let's say she did come back and got infected with COVID and had to be hospitalized. Should she stop getting paid? Would that make her entitled?

Fair points about diabetes.

Injuries are part of the game so if you're under contract, you get paid for the duration of that agreement.

Unless, of course, you're in the NFL. That too is ridiculous.

In my world, contracts are binding on both sides. They are not "non-guaranteed" and should not be renegotiated.
Now, get off my lawn!

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Injuries are part of the game so if you're under contract, you get paid for the duration of that agreement.

Unless, of course, you're in the NFL. That too is ridiculous.

In my world, contracts are binding on both sides. They are not "non-guaranteed" and should not be renegotiated.
Now, get off my lawn!
Contracts have lots of intentional ambiguity built into them. That's what we have lawyers. LOL

I'm sure that no pro athlete with Lyme or diabetes thought about a potential Coronavirus pandemic when signing their most recent contract.

I ask again, if she plays, get's COVID and is hospitalized, then should she get paid?

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Contracts have lots of intentional ambiguity built into them. That's what we have lawyers. LOL

I'm sure that no pro athlete with Lyme or diabetes thought about a potential Coronavirus pandemic when signing their most recent contract.

I ask again, if she plays, get's COVID and is hospitalized, then should she get paid?
Yes, she should get paid.

The better question is "Should professional sports be playing at all right now?"

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Bagel Boss was 1 year ago today...

Feels like 5
Was that the guy who went on the tirade in the bagel shop? This could be a new holiday. Stand around a little tree hung with bagels, singing songs, then start randomly complaining and threatening family members. It could be like Christmas and Festivus combined. :elf:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Was that the guy who went on the tirade in the bagel shop? This could be a new holiday. Stand around a little tree hung with bagels, singing songs, then start randomly complaining and threatening family members. It could be like Christmas and Festivus combined. :elf:

Christivus ?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Yesterday I lost my buddy after a battle with cancer that started in March. A few of you sent me some touching messages when I posted about him after we found out the diagnosis. Appreciate it. He loved to watch hockey with me, mostly because we got to spend the night together.

fFjwPvG.jpg

Last edited:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Yesterday I lost my buddy after a battle with cancer that started in March. A few of you sent me some touching messages when I posted about him after we found out the diagnosis. Appreciate it. He loved to watch hockey with me, mostly because we got to spend the night together.

fFjwPvG.jpg

sorry to hear. Best wishes.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad