OT: Depends Who You Ask Apocalypse - Off Topic Thread of Summer

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Minnesota Wild is a very appropriate name right about now. So much so that Brock Nelson was spotted moving his stash to Wisconsin for safe keeping. Noticed the looters wearing full head coverings but not staying 6 feet apart. The cop n the video is in big big trouble. So much for Minnesota being a playoff hub.
It's such a weird time huh? So much uncertainty all around us. To knock COVID off the front page, you got to have done something incredibly right, or incredibly wrong. That cop is definitely in trouble. Wild is ironic indeed.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm watching what is and has unfolded in America the past week. Just a sad tragic situation. It's troubling on multiple levels, and now complete anarchy, looks like the opportunists are running the show.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Too much energy pointing fingers and placing blame instead of finding solutions and preventing future problems. How we are is much greater than what we are..finding middle ground and communicating shouldn't be this difficult.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree, it's always a left vs right issue. It is hard to watch TV news these days. There is bias on both sides. I recall the Peter Jennings, Dan Rather, Tom Brokow days of news reporting. It is not even close now. I always get my news from as many sources as possible to form a middle view.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
There's a war going on whether people are willing to accept it or not, and that war is real.
Lidl is trying to make a name for itself here, in West Babylon, Huntington Station, and Plainview. Aldi and Trader Joe's need to step up, and if Fairway was to ever bounce back then the time is now. Amazon's Whole Foods might have to restructure and adapt to competetive price wars. Throw Stew Leonards into the mix along with ShopRite,,Stop N Shop, King Kullen (i'm gonna miss you), and all the other markets and you start to realize that the shopping wars are real. Pricing, convenience, customer service, and. shelf management will likely decide who makes it in the long run. Adherence to the planogram could be a deciding factor for some.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
NHL shop has been killing me. So far during COVID I’ve ordered a fish sticks sweater, an isles polo, and now a 16x20 autographed Bossy poster.

I’m totally their target demographic...I need help

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
My aunt told my mom about Netflix and how there is a lot of Korean content. Her next phone call was to me so I reactivated my account that I haven't used since they had the whole DVD system.

I binged watched The Witcher, good stuff. Yennefer is a smoke show. Finally saw Uncut Gems and The Irishman.

I usually use BT to download stuff, but since I'm paying for it for my mom to use... some pretty good content.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Oops...
IMG_20200621_054522.jpg

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Honestly, f*** 2020.

COVID
Fiancee gets laid off
Economy slowing down

and now, worst of all, I am watching my dog slowly die of cancer.

I guess the silver lining is that I am glad I can work from home so I can be around more during his last few weeks.

My aunt told my mom about Netflix and how there is a lot of Korean content. Her next phone call was to me so I reactivated my account that I haven't used since they had the whole DVD system.

I binged watched The Witcher, good stuff. Yennefer is a smoke show. Finally saw Uncut Gems and The Irishman.

I usually use BT to download stuff, but since I'm paying for it for my mom to use... some pretty good content.

Toss a coin to your Witcher, o' valley of plenty.... < this was struck in my head for a solid 2 months after that show ended.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Anyone been to Frank Pepe Yonkers?
Ill be playing golf at Sprain Lake next weekend and saw that it was nearby. Worth the stop on the way home? Any suggestions?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

My Sister has been trying to get me into the Korean soaps. BTW loved Parasite. Watching a lot of conspiracy stuff on youtube. Not much happening this spring, summer, would be in europe in July but this year, it's a no go with COVID>

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
My Sister has been trying to get me into the Korean soaps. BTW loved Parasite. Watching a lot of conspiracy stuff on youtube. Not much happening this spring, summer, would be in europe in July but this year, it's a no go with COVID>

Korean dramas can suck you in like quicksand, Netflix has a crazy amount of content. I also get a year of Disney+ for free because I have an unlimited plan on Verizon. In addition, I bought my mom a new Samsung TV to take advantage of Netflix since her old TV is ancient. It came with a month of HBO Max for free.

Within a day or two, I went from no streaming services to 3 of them. Been binge watching Entourage, brings back memories.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Korean dramas can suck you in like quicksand, Netflix has a crazy amount of content. I also get a year of Disney+ for free because I have an unlimited plan on Verizon. In addition, I bought my mom a new Samsung TV to take advantage of Netflix since her old TV is ancient. It came with a month of HBO Max for free.

Within a day or two, I went from no streaming services to 3 of them. Been binge watching Entourage, brings back memories.
From one mama's boy to another, to my wife's chagrin. ;) well done. I did something similar, I got mom a premium cable package for a year when she retired. The oldies love it. Also it keeps their minds sharp. Highly recommend.

I got Disney plus just to watch the Mandalorian series. Darn entertaining, better than the last few stars wars movies. Things are slowly opening up here, been going to my favourite Poke place for take out. No Gamjatang yet, not the same experience as eating in. Got to have the assorted banchun.

Took a College course, lots of reading, keeps me occupied. Korean dramas suck you in? Maybe I will stay clear until I retire then. I was once sucked in by a soap. Still cannot explain how that happened? lol

Reactions: PWJunior

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Honestly, f*** 2020.

COVID
Fiancee gets laid off
Economy slowing down

and now, worst of all, I am watching my dog slowly die of cancer.

I guess the silver lining is that I am glad I can work from home so I can be around more during his last few weeks.

Toss a coin to your Witcher, o' valley of plenty.... < this was struck in my head for a solid 2 months after that show ended.
Man...that’s a lot. Hope things get better for you

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So difficult. I am fairly new to playing regular (last summer was my first true one) but wow is it difficult. My driver and putter are by far my worst clubs to hit with.

Get fitted for a putter to match your putting stroke. You should be able to get that done at any decent golf shop.

Your swing and game will change as you play more and get better, your putting stroke probably won't change all that much. Match the putter to your tendencies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So difficult. I am fairly new to playing regular (last summer was my first true one) but wow is it difficult. My driver and putter are by far my worst clubs to hit with.
I was fairly serious about improving my handicap when I was younger, then I just started playing for fun. You know get some fresh air, and meet up with a buddy that still likes to golf.

There is this book by Ben Hogan, that really helped me. It's called 5 lessons. It's an oldie but a good book that will improve your golf. I would recommend it. You do not need videos, friends giving advice, or an Instructor. Just follow the easy to follow instructions. It will help.

Putting has always been difficult. The saying you drive for show, putt for dough is so true. If I could solve this, I would be a millionaire. Good luck, Ben Hogan's 5 lessons. You can read it in day, it's not a long read at all. It's 5 lessons. That's all.

176329-1600-auto

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Get fitted for a putter to match your putting stroke. You should be able to get that done at any decent golf shop.

Your swing and game will change as you play more and get better, your putting stroke probably won't change all that much. Match the putter to your tendencies.

Hmmm I'll have to take a look for one.

I was fairly serious about improving my handicap when I was younger, then I just started playing for fun. You know get some fresh air, and meet up with a buddy that still likes to golf.

There is this book by Ben Hogan, that really helped me. It's called 5 lessons. It's an oldie but a good book that will improve your golf. I would recommend it. You do not need videos, friends giving advice, or an Instructor. Just follow the easy to follow instructions. It will help.

Putting has always been difficult. The saying you drive for show, putt for dough is so true. If I could solve this, I would be a millionaire. Good luck, Ben Hogan's 5 lessons. You can read it in day, it's not a long read at all. It's 5 lessons. That's all.

176329-1600-auto

I am in the midst of reading a book on classroom management for teaching, but I will order this on Amazon and certainly give it a read.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hmmm I'll have to take a look for one.

I am in the midst of reading a book on classroom management for teaching, but I will order this on Amazon and certainly give it a read.
I had a copy, I lent it to a colleague. Unfortunately when he retired, I never got it back. But the contents are still in my head. Grip, stance, The belt trick, the pane of glass on your back muscle memory reminder, you will get what I mean when you read it. Love simple books that make a difficult game a little easier. When I started playing more, I also invested in an Anser bronze putter by Ping and cut it down to my height. Please do not go out and buy those $300 putters unless you have money to burn. But as PW said, a good putter that is fitted is a good idea for the weekend golfer. The game is so much better when you play better, where you get satisfaction. Fore...Yearly!

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->