Dennis Seidenberg

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Hopefully, but we both know that CJ is going to rely heavily on Chara and Seidenberg in the playoffs. I don't like getting closer to April and having to worry about the workload and future performance of 2 D-men who are going to be integral to the entire thing. Chara himself has severely dropped in performance the last two playoffs. It's hard for me to foresee a better result when the plan clearly has not changed.

Really not trying to be a "debbie downer" here, but I am greatly concerned with PC's attitude toward the team. He seems way too complacent. As I said yesterday, it's weird that a guy who made the Seguin trade when he did (when it was not at all a "need") is now saying "everything's fine here". I get that there's a salary cap, but given what he's said, PC seems minimally active, if at all, in searching for upgrades or even making smart moves for future years.

It might be unrealistic of me to suggest but I think Chara might have one more monster playoff performance in him. In 2013 he was fine up until the Chicago series. Chara seems to be playing a more conservative game lately and it suits him well.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It might be unrealistic of me to suggest but I think Chara might have one more monster playoff performance in him. In 2013 he was fine up until the Chicago series. Chara seems to be playing a more conservative game lately and it suits him well.

Yeah...hopefully.

I'm not even sure that's unrealistic. If he could find a way to save up by being more "conservative" and letting the forwards and other D take care of the offense, I'm good with that. Chara is most important in a shutdown role, period.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Hopefully, but we both know that CJ is going to rely heavily on Chara and Seidenberg in the playoffs. I don't like getting closer to April and having to worry about the workload and future performance of 2 D-men who are going to be integral to the entire thing. Chara himself has severely dropped in performance the last two playoffs. It's hard for me to foresee a better result when the plan clearly has not changed.

Really not trying to be a "debbie downer" here, but I am greatly concerned with PC's attitude toward the team. He seems way too complacent. As I said yesterday, it's weird that a guy who made the Seguin trade when he did (when it was not at all a "need") is now saying "everything's fine here". I get that there's a salary cap, but given what he's said, PC seems minimally active, if at all, in searching for upgrades or even making smart moves for future years.

I like this word you keep using and I full on agree. I really do believe they need Sekera over any other available D man. He's mobile and can play heavy minutes. This team is a winger and a top 4 away from being a deep contender.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Seids has been getting burnt a lot lately. Very noticeable

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Out of just the players, he is the single biggest problem. He has been horrific, and it isn't getting better.

He is a "number 2" playing like a 7th or 8th defenseman, but not getting those types of minutes.

He is on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a major injury, but somehow his play has seemed to go past even the worst case scenario we could have imagined.

I have no idea what can be done, but if he can be moved at the deadline to a team desperate for a veteran defenseman it has to be done. Has to be.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I thought he played better last night with Bart. And the block at the end of regulation was huge. He's struggled all year but coming off that injury there is cause for hope that he'll improve with time.

I won't argue he's been bad this year, some of which was expected. And I'd deal him too if we could. But if the team does turn it around, it's possible it'll be due to stronger play from him.

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA
Out of just the players, he is the single biggest problem. He has been horrific, and it isn't getting better.

He is a "number 2" playing like a 7th or 8th defenseman, but not getting those types of minutes.

He is on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a major injury, but somehow his play has seemed to go past even the worst case scenario we could have imagined.

I have no idea what can be done, but if he can be moved at the deadline to a team desperate for a veteran defenseman it has to be done. Has to be.

I'm with you on trying to move him, but you have to have a quality D man coming back.

I really feel for the guy -- was playing the best hockey of his career and was an absolute beast before his injury.

Reminds me of what happened with Sturm. Just never the same after his serious surgery

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm with you on trying to move him, but you have to have a quality D man coming back.

I really feel for the guy -- was playing the best hockey of his career and was an absolute beast before his injury.

Reminds me of what happened with Sturm. Just never the same after his serious surgery

I would trade him for nothing if it meant getting out of his contract.

I am that worried about him.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Hoping last night was the turn around.

Being paired with a skater in Bartkowski looked like it made all the difference for Seids.

He made some key blocks and cleared one from an empty net after a ridiculous Rask save. Saved us a few goals almost single handed last night.

I've said it all year the key for this season for Seidenberg is as long as he's working his way back from what was a brutal injury he HAS to be paired with a partner who's best asset is wheels.

Seidenberg's hockey IQ hasn't gone away but he's had a tough time regaining that power stride that made him so difficult to play against.

The better his partner can move around the rink the more Seidenberg can focus on locking down the defensive zone while it all comes back.

I remember going through the same thing after coming back from a knee injury, took me a full season to get the full stride back and had to be paired with partner who could really burn for a while until I came around.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Hoping last night was the turn around.

Being paired with a skater in Bartkowski looked like it made all the difference for Seids.

He made some key blocks and cleared one from an empty net after a ridiculous Rask save. Saved us a few goals almost single handed last night.

I've said it all year the key for this season for Seidenberg is as long as he's working his way back from what was a brutal injury he HAS to be paired with a partner who's best asset is wheels.

Seidenberg's hockey IQ hasn't gone away but he's had a tough time regaining that power stride that made him so difficult to play against.

The better his partner can move around the rink the more Seidenberg can focus on locking down the defensive zone while it all comes back.

I remember going through the same thing after coming back from a knee injury, took me a full season to get the full stride back and had to be paired with partner who could really burn for a while until I came around.

Excellent post.

He's clearly struggled to come back from the knee injury but I too thought he looked better paired with Bart last night.

And I don't understand why Bartkowski has been scratched for so many games either.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Excellent post.

He's clearly struggled to come back from the knee injury but I too thought he looked better paired with Bart last night.

And I don't understand why Bartkowski has been scratched for so many games either.

Doesn't make any sense to me, I've been tough on Bartkowski (probably comes from being a defenceman for so long :laugh:) but he's got a lot of raw tools and just blazing speed.

For a team that has struggled in transition with both McQuaid & Miller in the lineup at the same time it's mind boggling he wasn't tried sooner.

Can't see Bartkowski coming out now, he & Seids looked like they have a little something going as a pair.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
https://twitter.com/bruins_stats/status/567556700006543360

Last night's game.

Which guy stands out as being a disaster?

Look at his play in the defensive zone though.

You can't hold Seidenberg alone responsible for scoring chances for or against, he's one of 5 guys on the ice & made several key blocks including clearing an open net which helped us get even a single point from that game.

edit: credit with 2 blocks (T-team lead), 2 hits (T-team lead), 0 giveaways.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I like Seids and he made a couple huge plays last night but also a lot of big mistakes he cant make if he is going to be anywhere near what he was. He is coming off a very serious injury and I am hopeful he gets better with time.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I would trade him for nothing if it meant getting out of his contract.

I am that worried about him.

Mike, how illogical was it to trade Boychuk when they did and keep Seidenberg?

How painfully obvious was and is it that holding on to them both and then looking to trade Seidenberg at the deadline to a desperate team was the smarter move? I remember thinking this before the season started, before anyone was traded, and before Seidenberg showed just how poor he has turned. His decline started before his injury people, remember his play against the hawks?

Even still, you could have gotten, at the very least, the return you got from Boychuk IF you traded him (Seidenberg) to a western contender at the deadline looking to add depth and get over the hump

This is the first year I've really questioned the minds in our front office.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Mike, how illogical was it to trade Boychuk when they did and keep Seidenberg?

How painfully obvious was and is it that holding on to them both and then looking to trade Seidenberg at the deadline to a desperate team was the smarter move? I remember thinking this before the season started, before anyone was traded, and before Seidenberg showed just how poor he has turned. His decline started before his injury people, remember his play against the hawks?

Even still, you could have gotten, at the very least, the return you got from Boychuk IF you traded him (Seidenberg) to a western contender at the deadline looking to add depth and get over the hump

This is the first year I've really questioned the minds in our front office.

An older guy coming off a major injury....

No one could have foreseen the potential for any issues. Except everyone.

I'm not saying it was inevitable, but it was possible. I hate everything about the Boychuk deal. Did before, did when it happened, do now.

And Seidenberg's advanced stats suck for the whole season. The eye-test and the analytics match up.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

I'm not saying it was inevitable, but it was possible. I hate everything about the Boychuk deal. Did before, did when it happened, do now.

And Seidenberg's advanced stats suck for the whole season. The eye-test and the analytics match up.

I get that there is more going on than we know, and that doing the job of an NHL GM is very easy from the outside view...but this situation really goes beyond any cryptic analysis

It blows my mind Boychuk wasn't even APPROACHED for a new deal. It blows my mind people that have been in this business for years couldn't see Seidenberg would struggle and at best would be a little less than what he was when we won in 2011.

How many times is this organization and or coach going to refuse to make moves everyone else here can see plain as day until it's too late?

I'm to the point I think they need to fire PC, promote Sweeney, and throw a bucket of cash at Babcock to give this place a chance at another cup with this core.

Arthur*

The question then becomes is he cooked and done forever as a decent NHLer, or is he still recovering from the ACL and needs time to get his game back?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

During the summer, most posters would rather have traded Boychuk instead of Seidenberg. It was like 61-39% in favour of keeping Seidenberg. I wanted to go into this season with both players and trade one depending on who preformed better. I don't think the Islanders are for real with Boychuk as their number one, but he is certainly now a number two on this team. Better than Seidenberg

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
During the summer, most posters would rather have traded Boychuk instead of Seidenberg. It was like 61-39% in favour of keeping Seidenberg. I wanted to go into this season with both players and trade one depending on who preformed better. I don't think the Islanders are for real with Boychuk as their number one, but he is certainly now a number two on this team. Better than Seidenberg

Boychuk's a number 1 for NY in minutes and points but not in Qualcomp,where he runs 3rd and 4th with Leddy,same spot as here. He plays a lot against lesser lines it appears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad