Dennis Seidenberg

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Hi, I would like to know from Boston Bruins fans, do you guys consider Dennis Seidenberg a #1 defenseman?

Would you be comfortable with him leading your 1st pairing if Big Z went down for an extended period of time?

Is he capable of great things on his own or is he looking great because of Chara, kind of like Komisarek and Markov?

btwimahabsfandontshootmeplz

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
He is a legitimate shutdown defender, but I'd peg him as a solid #2. He doesn't have the offensive upside you'd want from a number 1, but he's absolutely one of the better shutdown guys when it comes down to it. A guy I would trust in any situation against any player. When he went down last year, and wasn't replaced, it showed. Johnny Boychuk did a reputable job filling his shoes, but then it became apparent the strength of this d-core when all three are there, and that losing one of them is a big loss. They are all that important and that good.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Thanks for the fast reply!

I was discussing with an Oilers fan, and seeing as their defense is a little iffy, they could use Seidenberg+, and seeing you guys have salary to shed, have no depth at RW, could use Eberle. Of course Boston would have to add, but I dont think that it is unreasonable starting point. Thoughts?

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

I was discussing with an Oilers fan, and seeing as their defense is a little iffy, they could use Seidenberg+, and seeing you guys have salary to shed, have no depth at RW, could use Eberle. Of course Boston would have to add, but I dont think that it is unreasonable starting point. Thoughts?

I don't see us giving up Seidenberg. He's on too good of a contract. I see Boychuk leaving before him. I'd do a move around that. Would Oil fans?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I really doubt the Oilers would trade Eberle for a 34 year old defencemen, but if they were interested only a fool would not try and make something work.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Boston would not make that trade or should they.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
He is a legitimate shutdown defender, but I'd peg him as a solid #2. He doesn't have the offensive upside you'd want from a number 1, but he's absolutely one of the better shutdown guys when it comes down to it. A guy I would trust in any situation against any player. When he went down last year, and wasn't replaced, it showed. Johnny Boychuk did a reputable job filling his shoes, but then it became apparent the strength of this d-core when all three are there, and that losing one of them is a big loss. They are all that important and that good.

what he said...

One of the better #2 guys in the league, but I have to add that - in my opinion - there aren't 30 "Number One" guys in the league.

When I think of a "true No. 1 Defenseman". I think of a guy that you play in every situation: Man-Up, Man-Down, up by one goal with a minute left, down by a goal with a minute left... the guy who carries the team in ALL situations.

Case in point: (looks around to see if there are any Sens fans in the area) - Karlsson... I don't think of him as a prototypical Number One Defenseman... Absolutely one of - if not THE - best offensive D-men in the league. Absolutely. And a guy I would ABSOLUTELY love to have on my team (esp if Krug weren't here). But, despite the Sens fans argument that "He's a good defensive defenseman because he keeps the puck away from the other team" - eventually, there's going to be a 2-on-1 on the guy. So the question is: when that 2-on-1 occurs, does your heart skip a beat or 4? Or are you relaxed and saying "No problem - he's got this".

A true No. 1 should never make your heart stop in a defensive situation.

A true No. 1 should be good or great at ALL aspects, and frankly, there are few of them in the league... Doughty, Weber... you know the names.

So - like Master Boychuk said above... Defensively - DS is one of the better guys in the league. I would trust him going against anyone. In fact during the playoffs a few years back - when he was playing alongside Z, DS was the man... he was (in my opinion) our best defenseman... (at least defensibly - far and away)

But his lack of point production keeps him out of a "True No. 1" slot, in my books. Still a guy who would be welcomed on ANY team in the NHL, and a guy who would be "the best defenseman" on a number of them...but not a No. 1

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA

As it currently stands, there are an infinite (ok, I'm exaggerating) number of ways that the Bruins can shed cap here and there to be fine for opening day. I understand you are not a regular on the board, so you haven't seen the discussions, but it has been discussed ad nauseum, yet there are still a few adamant (see: ignorant) stragglers who can't grasp the idea. If it is a guy we are going to trade for a RW, Seidenberg wouldn't be the guy. His cap hit is so ideal for what he brings to the table, it'd be tough to both get good value in terms of a cap hit and a fair trade as well, on either side. I'm not saying he is untouchable, or close to it, but he is an important and well-valued piece.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Hi, I would like to know from Boston Bruins fans, do you guys consider Dennis Seidenberg a #1 defenseman?

Would you be comfortable with him leading your 1st pairing if Big Z went down for an extended period of time?

Is he capable of great things on his own or is he looking great because of Chara, kind of like Komisarek and Markov?

We have a healthy discussion in another active thread regarding Seidenberg and Johnny Boychuk, who has been mentioned in trade rumors for Edmonton.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
As it currently stands, there are an infinite (ok, I'm exaggerating) number of ways that the Bruins can shed cap here and there to be fine for opening day. I understand you are not a regular on the board, so you haven't seen the discussions, but it has been discussed ad nauseum, yet there are still a few adamant (see: ignorant) stragglers who can't grasp the idea. If it is a guy we are going to trade for a RW, Seidenberg wouldn't be the guy. His cap hit is so ideal for what he brings to the table, it'd be tough to both get good value in terms of a cap hit and a fair trade as well, on either side. I'm not saying he is untouchable, or close to it, but he is an important and well-valued piece.

Fair enough. You guys can close the thread. Being from the Canadiens board, there is nothing more annoying than the repeated David Desharnais vs. Lars Eller vs. Plekanec threads :laugh::laugh:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Why am I the only one who thinks that a 34 year old top four defencemen for a 24 year old top line ring wing isn't bad from a Bruins perspective?

Eberle has a Seguin skill set, but is fearless and has a history of stepping up in clutch moments. If I were Edmonton, I'd be looking at finding the next Siedenberg, a 27-29 year old shutdown defencemen.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

A solid no.2. 33 really isn't that old for a defenceman who has a good skill set and high on ice I.Q.A deep playoff run went out the window when he got hurt and PC didn't actively try to replace him.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
seidenberg is 33.

Aaaand that is why theres a plus sign besides Seidenberg's name.

Cap wise 1 on 1 it wouldnt make sense.
Value wise 1 on 1 it still wouldnt make sense.

Marchand is signed through 2017 and is relatively young. Eberle is 24 signed til 2019. Seidenberg is 33.

What about Seidenberg+Marchand+1st for Eberle + (Slepyshev (sp?) or 2nd)

Boston are set for 6 years at RW. (Smith+Eberle) Still has Lucic and Eriksson at LW, and can resign Krug.

Edmonton get some scoring back with Marchand, and get a great defensive partner for Schultz and move up a few spots in a deep draft.

But as you said, Im probably beating a dead horse here.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Check out the Bear Tracks #2 about 1/2 way through the video you can see Sides right leg, seems to appear waaaayyyyy smaller than his left. Not a good sign if confirmed.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Not a #1, but definitely one of the better #2s.

Besides our "Big 3" of Rask, Chara, and Bergeron, I'd say he's the worst injury we could have. If he's injured, Boychuk can play on the first pairing no problem, but that leaves a void on the 2nd pairing. Hamilton, same thing as Boychuk. You can put him on the first pairing, but then Boychuk has to be the guy to cover all of Bartkowski's mistakes. No one can anchor the 2nd line like Seids can, then step up to the first if needed. We thrive on depth and his depth was missed hugely last year.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
A great defensive #2 who sometimes outshines #1. Recently plunked down about 2 mil to be beside #1 at home!

member 96824

I thought Seidenberg has a no-trade clause?

Why is this still being talked about?

Very very rarely does a NTC shut down trade talks.

NTC's are so common, it's almost common practice for any deal to have a player needing to waive his NTC.

We heard for years(from fans) about how Nathan Horton would never waive his to go to a lesser market...then he got up and did it on his own in the blink of an eye.

headflop

Jan 29, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Very very rarely does a NTC shut down trade talks.

NTC's are so common, it's almost common practice for any deal to have a player needing to waive his NTC.

We heard for years(from fans) about how Nathan Horton would never waive his to go to a lesser market...then he got up and did it on his own in the blink of an eye.

ok, that makes more sense now. thanks.

member 96824

ok, that makes more sense now. thanks.

Not a problem, they seem to be more of a tool to give the player more control than an actual block, like Luongo and Kesler's situations of recent.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Let's do what we do best and second guess!

Will Seidenberg shake off the rust or did Chiarelli guess make the wrong decision moving Boychuk over Seidenberg?

There were a number of us in the off season thread who suggested exploring the possibility of moving Seids. Was it even a possibility given the injury? Would there have been takers? Obviously it would have meant selling low.

Moving forward, does he need to be split up from McQuaid?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

Let's do what we do best and second guess!

Will Seidenberg shake off the rust or did Chiarelli guess make the wrong decision moving Boychuk over Seidenberg?

There were a number of us in the off season thread who suggested exploring the possibility of moving Seids. Was it even a possibility given the injury? Would there have been takers? Obviously it would have meant selling low.

Moving forward, does he need to be split up from McQuaid?

think he's gonna suck for a while, given the injury. hopefully in a few weeks he's back to normal, cuz he sucks right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I said all summer it's possible Boychuk would be the better defencemen going forward, considering he is younger and hasn't had a major surgery. Seidenberg has always been a great skater, but given his knee injury and his history of lower body injuries, his skating could (and looks like) it's effected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad