Tribute Denis Malgin

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Do not forget that Malgin was invisible when given a shot with the Leafs. And this wasn't an audition of a player just brought up from the minors or signed out of Europe, this was a player with 184 games of NHL experience.

There was a period during Dubas' earlier regime when he kept acquiring guys like Petan, Malgin and even Carcone at the AHL level. These guys just didn't compliment the finesse at the top of the lineup very well. Like if Mitch Marner needs security to thrive in physical contests, having Johnsson and then these guys behind him never made much sense.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If he has a strong season in Europe I'd be willing to give him a second look next year.

Though neither he nor Marchment would crack the Leafs roster this season

Oh, I think we'd have room for the version of Mason Marchment the Panthers have, but whether he would have gotten the path to the Leafs in the first place would be a slightly different question.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't see him playing ahead of any of the left wingers, certainly not in the top 9.

I'd happily play him over Nick Ritchie, and the fact that the Leafs have played Seney and Clifford in 9 games already would mean Marchment would have had some play time, but maybe not as much as what he's received in Florida.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
one concern is that his play in Switzerland won't translate well to the NHL because he's on the smaller side. but I haven't even watched him play in Switzerland, so idk.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
one concern is that his play in Switzerland won't translate well to the NHL because he's on the smaller side. but I haven't even watched him play in Switzerland, so idk.

He signed a 4 year deal with the ZSC Lions so that takes him out of the NHL till his late 20’s. Unless he’s doing something really special that probably doesn’t bode well for his return.

Reactions: saffronleaf

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He signed a 4 year deal with the ZSC Lions so that takes him out of the NHL till his late 20’s. Unless he’s doing something really special that probably doesn’t bode well for his return.

He has an NHL out-clause this July. There is no surprise that he committed to ZSC over any other NL team, but that does not mean he is not more committed to making the NHL. Based on his career actions to this point, he does not seem like the kind of guy who is going to give up a legitimate chance at an NHL job. He is just not coming over to play in the AHL. He wants some kind of guarantee, or at least as much as you can realistically expect for someone who is one of the top talents outside of the NHL right now, at an NHL spot. I don't blame him. He controls where he goes, much like a UFA. Except, of course, we'd still get something for his rights.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He should have some trade value, but I just can't picture him playing for the Leafs. Frankly, I never could.

Maybe they get a sixth-round pick for his NHL rights.

His last two NHL contracts were one-way contracts. Maybe he signs another one-way deal to try to play his way from the AHL back into the NHL. If he's getting big-league pay that's not the worst thing to do.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He should have some trade value, but I just can't picture him playing for the Leafs. Frankly, I never could.

Maybe they get a sixth-round pick for his NHL rights.

His last two NHL contracts were one-way contracts. Maybe he signs another one-way deal to try to play his way from the AHL back into the NHL. If he's getting big-league pay that's not the worst thing to do.

Why would he want to (or have to) work his way up from the AHL? He has nothing to prove or even learn at the AHL level. He is one of the top guys outside of the NHL and has almost 200 games of NHL experience already... He is either good enough as he is right now or he will never be good enough.

Reactions: uncleben

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Meh, where’s he gonna play in this line up? I don’t see them signing him. He’s no different than the collection of guys we already have and he’s no use on the fourth line. Release his rights and let him sign elsewhere or trade him

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Leafs are always looking for cheap talent that can fit into the roster somewhere. I would give him another go if he was willing; go back to Europe if he doesn't fit (similar to how other European FA in the past left or were dealt to a better situation).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs are always looking for cheap talent that can fit into the roster somewhere. I would give him another go if he was willing; go back to Europe if he doesn't fit (similar to how other European FA in the past left or were dealt to a better situation).

Key word is talent

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
If it's not at the NHL level it's irrelevant

Well, yeah but that's why I'd bring him in next year if he was willing. Nothing guaranteed, but enough to warrant bringing him in to take a look IMO. If it doesn't work he can go the way of Semyonov.

Reactions: Ciao

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
People don't understand the magnitude of salaries players get in the NL. Especially being Swiss born. His contract over there is likely 2m+, so it really makes no sense for him to come back over. The only reason he would want to come back is for a chance at a cup, and the salary would have to be comparable.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People don't understand the magnitude of salaries players get in the NL. Especially being Swiss born. His contract over there is likely 2m+, so it really makes no sense for him to come back over. The only reason he would want to come back is for a chance at a cup, and the salary would have to be comparable.

Yeah, I think signing a 4 year deal in the NL means he's staying over. Ironically he's at the age when undrafted Euros are making their way over here.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Yeah, I think signing a 4 year deal in the NL means he's staying over. Ironically he's at the age when undrafted Euros are making their way over here.
He negotiated in an NHL out clause
He could be traded first, but I think he's open to coming back over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad