Tribute Denis Malgin

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It seems in your opinion there’s no reason to have issues with any move Dubas makes , lucky for us we have the only perfect GM in the history world f the game .

I think there are a number of reasons to be upset/critical of Dubas but In this specific thread i think youre complaining about nothing.

The guys a 13th forward quality guy who the team got for free.....

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Im not a fan of Dubas, but this trade absolutely does nothing either way both players are not at all very good, at least Malgin can skate.

Old and Tired

Mar 11, 2019
Just throughout all echelons of hockey, they are going to try their damndest to make him look good. Give him ice time, line mates, opportunity that is not warranted, hoping and praying they might make him look like a Dubas success, until he no longer dresses and fades to occasional 4th line appearances, the press box or never never land.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
He’s exactly what we don’t need on this team. Also a terrible example of a player built from within the system, Marchment, who may not be NHL caliber yet but has grinded and done everything asked of him to earn a spot then we ship him away for an underperformer who immediately jumps into a roster spot. What does that say to the guys in our system who have put in years of work to be there?

Korshkov has so much more of what we need and he did more in 1 game then Malgin did in 7. Yuck.
Korshkov I agree on... but it was extremely obvious Marchment was not an NHL player and never would be. They traded for a guy who in a pinch can actually play in the league...

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think there are a number of reasons to be upset/critical of Dubas but In this specific thread i think youre complaining about nothing.

The guys a 13th forward quality guy who the team got for free.....
It seems that in every thread there’s reasons not to be critical of Dubas . I’m just wondering why he’s always getting a free pass with the same posters ?

Reactions: FraumBallard

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Agreed.
Can Tavares skate?
Malign adds nothing.
Nothing trade for a useless player.
Why?
Because Wonder Boy loves small/timid/scared useless nobodies.
wth does Tavares have to do with Marchment speed, Tavares has more talent in his skate lace than Marchment has wow!

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
wth does Tavares have to do with Marchment speed, Tavares has more talent in his skate lace than Marchment has wow!
Right.
You mentioned Marchment is a poor skater.
I love Taveres but he is a poor skater as well.
Rather have Marchment toughness than Malgin and his tiny body.
Typical Dubas idiot move.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Dubas simply can't quit these small skilled players, and doesn't seem to realize you can only mix in a select few into your NHL team.

Draft Bracco, Brooks, Timashov and Dzierkals or trade/sign for Petan, Malgin, Aberg etc etc. All that and a Toonie buys you a cup of coffee and that is about it.

If you throw enough spaghetti against a wall eventually something is going to stick.

Analytics doesn't take into account intangibles as size, strength and other assets that don't show up on a spreadsheet, but are beneficial to building a successful NHL team.

Perhaps in time with more experience Dubas will start to come around .. We have already seen coaches prefer Mikheyev, Engvall and Clifford as preferred regulars instead of deploying Dudas preferred style players.
Great post.
Engvall is not very good though.
For a guy with his size/speed/strength he doesn't bring near enough.
Decent on the PK.
Zero passion/emotion/heart.
Overall.
Not near good enough.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Agreed.
Can Tavares skate?
Malign adds nothing.
Nothing trade for a useless player.
Why?
Because Wonder Boy loves small/timid/scared useless nobodies.
Ridiculous skill difference aside... Tavares is a significantly better skater than Marchment.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Korshkov maybe, Agostino definitely not. Korshkov mostly depends on where he lands with his consistency. Agostino simply is not an NHLer.

Agostino could do things for us on the 4th line that we won't get from Malgin.

Malgin has a career 0.31 pt/game

Agostino has a career 0.35 pt/game ratio

He technically brings more offense and hits more. I could see him being a marginal upgrade and just the style of someone willing to at least throw a check is worthwhile. Not to mention, not another smurf.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
we could have accomplished the exact same thing by promoting a Marlie and if they were just as crap as Malgin then it was at least our crap and not some other teams

and sure it was a nothing move but why even bother to make it and please don't give me he's an NHLer with upside since if was an NHLer with upside we wouldn't have got him for Marchment

Dubie just see's an available smurf and gets the sweats and has to have them , lol .

Smurfs are blue, fits the Toronto Maple Leafs color scheme I guess...other than that, I have no idea why Dubas chose Malgin ahead of Timashov.

Reactions: hotpaws

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the smurfs each have a 1/1000 chance of being Marty St Louis and all it costs you is Par Lindholm and Mason Marchment to cycle through them, why wouldn't you?

Does anyone understand the concept of expected value? Let's say there's a lottery where a ticket costs $1 and the jackpot is $1,000,000. Basically, the number of tickets sold determines how much each ticket is worth. Each ticket has an equal chance of winning, so if a million tickets are sold, each ticket is worth a dollar of expected value. If you could buy every single ticket, you'd expect to break even. Now EV gets interesting if you start messing with the number of tickets, the price, or the winnings. If only 500,000 tickets are sold in the $1 lottery for the $1m prize, that means that each $1 ticket is worth $2 in EV. You'd be a fool not to buy as many tickets as you possibly can. Even if you can only get 10 tickets because the rest get bought out, if you can afford the cash outlay it's the smart play.

I bring this up because stockpiling these smurfs could be totally reasonable from an expected value perspective. How much is Marty St Louis worth? Hell, how much is a good 2nd line winger worth? That's your payout. Now consider what the cost of those lottery tickets is. In my eyes Par Lindholm sucked every bit as bad, and Mason Marchment is a complete nothing. So we're paying nickels to cycle through some lottery tickets where the potential payout is pretty darn big. Of course, it's a lottery with those 1/1000 odds, so we'll probably never win and end up losing a couple nickels over it, but imagine that we do win it. Imagine that we do pick a St Louis one of these days and what a huge coup that would be for the franchise.

Trying out a few shitty small tweeners every year costs the organization practically nothing. Considering the potential payout and the cost of getting those tweeners, it could be a positive EV transaction.

If the Leafs cycle through 5 "shitty tweeners" every year, I guess we can expect them to unearth one Marty St. Louis within the next 200 seasons. Only problem is we might have 200 years of shitty tweeners. If we cycle through 15 “shitty tweeners” every year I guess you shorten that process to about 66 years, which may explain our cup drought. Mileage may vary.

Instead of running the franchise like a hobo playing scratch and win, maybe someone should actually do some scouting for once.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If the Leafs cycle through 5 "shitty tweeners" every year, I guess we can expect them to unearth one Marty St. Louis within the next 200 seasons. Only problem is we might have 200 years of shitty tweeners. If we cycle through 15 “shitty tweeners” every year I guess you shorten that process to about 66 years, which may explain our cup drought. Mileage may vary.

Instead of running the franchise like a hobo playing scratch and win, maybe someone should actually do some scouting for once.
Wouldn't you rather get a Marty St Louis every 200 years than never? Meanwhile, we scouted and signed Mikheyev this year and paid value to rent Kyle Clifford. Is pulling one middle six winger a year out of Russia enough, or should we be going for two? I guess, "Just scout good players lol" is some good advice.

A smart move is still a smart move, even if it's not likely to pay off, that's literally the point of expected value. This is tinkering around the fringes with 14th forwards on league minimum contracts, paying nothing and hoping to strike gold. This shit paid off a little bit last year with Tyler Ennis, who was a reasonably effective player. I really don't understand why these sorts of players piss so many people off. Yeah, Malgin is worth a nickel and we paid a nickel for him. Why is anyone mad that the GM is cycling through dime a dozen players until he finds the ones that are any good? Did the Vegas Golden Knights not teach you anything about how mind-blowingly bad NHL teams actually are at scouting? What Auston Matthews eats for breakfast today is more important than any of these guys over the course of a season and y'all are in here fishing for narratives and completely ignoring whether a strategy actually makes sense or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->