Tribute Denis Malgin

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Okay, thanks for that.

On their reserve list, and doing quite well in the Swiss-A this year, and last.

Wonder if he'll ever return to the NHL? Black Aces?

You thought wrong. They own his RFA rights.

he didn’t think wrong, the relationship is over. He signed a 4-year deal in Switzerland. He isn’t coming back over to north America for a while. Don’t know why posters keep posting about him lol.

Denis Malgin Signs In Switzerland

Denis Malgin zu den ZSC Lions | ZSC Lions

Denis Malgin Contract, Denis Malgin Cap Hit, Salary and Stats | Puckpedia

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
he didn’t think wrong, the relationship is over. He signed a 4-year deal in Switzerland. He isn’t coming back over to north America for a while. Don’t know why posters keep posting about him lol.

Denis Malgin Signs In Switzerland

Denis Malgin zu den ZSC Lions | ZSC Lions

Denis Malgin Contract, Denis Malgin Cap Hit, Salary and Stats | Puckpedia
The Leafs own his RFA rights until he ages out. That makes him Leafs property. Euro contracts have NHL out clauses. Was Alex Radulov no longer Preds property when he left for the KHL the first time?

Matvei Michkov just signed a multi-year deal in the KHL. It doesn't mean he isn't coming over to the NHL once he's drafted. You thought wrong too. Not the first time.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The Leafs own his RFA rights until he ages out. That makes him Leafs property. Euro contracts have NHL out clauses. Was Alex Radulov no longer Preds property when he left for the KHL the first time?

Matvei Michkov just signed a multi-year deal in the KHL. It doesn't mean he isn't coming over to the NHL once he's drafted. You thought wrong too. Not the first time.

LOL I understand how player rights work. I know that he’s an RFA. That has nothing to do with the relationship with the organization which is what was asked. Do you think Malgin would sign a 4 year deal in his home country if there really was any possibility of coming back? Let’s be realistic about this. He ain’t suiting up for the leafs again most likely and he isn’t going to waste time trying to grind in the AHL either.

Michkov is not even a comparable, he’s not even in the NHL at this point and the circumstances are completely different. Malgin has had his cup of coffee in the NHL and hasn’t been able to hack it. We’ve got a ton of better prospects who we can inject into the line up than him.

I understand players go and come back, komarov even did it with us. But as you’d know if you read the articles posted the difference is the Malgin is likely not to come back. Where as Radulov and Komarov there was an understanding they would rejoin the team.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

LOL I understand how player rights work. I know that he’s an RFA. That has nothing to do with the relationship with the organization which is what was asked. Do you think Malgin would sign a 4 year deal in his home country if there really was any possibility of coming back? Let’s be realistic about this. He ain’t suiting up for the leafs again most likely and he isn’t going to waste time trying to grind in the AHL either.

Michkov is not even a comparable, he’s not even in the NHL at this point and the circumstances are completely different. Malgin has had his cup of coffee in the NHL and hasn’t been able to hack it. We’ve got a ton of better prospects who we can inject into the line up than him.

I understand players go and come back, komarov even did it with us. But as you’d know if you read the articles posted the difference is the Malgin is likely not to come back. Where as Radulov and Komarov there was an understanding they would rejoin the team.

He has an out-clause after this year. If he feels like the Leafs (or someone we trade his rights to) have an opportunity for him in the NHL, then he can opt-out after each season. If not, then he has a long term commitment with a team he likes and wants to play for long term. It is literally a win-win for him either way.

He looks much better now than he did when first left, and he was a full time NHLer when he left. He is not going to accept going to the AHL, but he is far too good for the AHL anyways. If there is no room for him here, then the Leafs can probably find a taker for his rights.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He has an out-clause after this year. If he feels like the Leafs (or someone we trade his rights to) have an opportunity for him in the NHL, then he can opt-out after each season. If not, then he has a long term commitment with a team he likes and wants to play for long term. It is literally a win-win for him either way.

He looks much better now than he did when first left, and he was a full time NHLer when he left. He is not going to accept going to the AHL, but he is far too good for the AHL anyways. If there is no room for him here, then the Leafs can probably find a taker for his rights.

I'll quote it once i find it again but there is direct quote from Malgin who said he turned down the leafs this past season because he wasn't going to play a lot here, he's young, doesn't want to waste his game, feels like he has a lot of game left. welp we'll see they only have one year of his rights left. either way i just don't see it happening.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'll quote it once i find it again but there is direct quote from Malgin who said he turned down the leafs this past season because he wasn't going to play a lot here, he's young, doesn't want to waste his game, feels like he has a lot of game left. welp we'll see they only have one year of his rights left. either way i just don't see it happening.

Yes, he did say that. Fairly sure that was after we signed Kase and Ritchie.

That does not mean there won't be an opportunity for him next year. We are going to be losing some depth forwards. That also does not mean the Leafs can't find an opportunity for him elsewhere and get a pick out of him.

Nothing about what he said implies he would never be open to coming back to the NHL, and the fact he has an opt-out in his contract after one year suggests he actually wants to come back to the NHL at some point. However, at the same time, there is no point for him to slum it in the AHL and maybe get the occasional call up when he is far better than that. If he is going to play outside of the NHL, might as well be at home.

I think there is a very good chance he comes back to the NHL at some point in the future. Maybe it won't be with the Leafs, but as long as we hold his rights, we have some interest in how he performs.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Kase/Simmonds closed the door this year for Malgin. I don’t think it’s slammed shut though.
Interesting that he gets brought up in the Holmberg thread though.
I could see the two of them flanking Kampf and being a potentially good two way line, if some forwards get moved/sign elsewhere.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Kase/Simmonds closed the door this year for Malgin. I don’t think it’s slammed shut though.
Interesting that he gets brought up in the Holmberg thread though.
I could see the two of them flanking Kampf and being a potentially good two way line, if some forwards get moved/sign elsewhere.
Kind of annoying that it looks like the Leafs finally nailed a shutdown 3rd line that can heavily tilt the ice and play against anyone, but have little hope of keeping it together without moves in the top 6.

Kerfoot is on a near 60 point pace and it looks like he will have to go. Ritchie too. On the bright side, Kerfoot is on a near 60 point pace with a stellar contract. lol

Reactions: aingefan

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yes, he did say that. Fairly sure that was after we signed Kase and Ritchie.

That does not mean there won't be an opportunity for him next year. We are going to be losing some depth forwards. That also does not mean the Leafs can't find an opportunity for him elsewhere and get a pick out of him.

Nothing about what he said implies he would never be open to coming back to the NHL, and the fact he has an opt-out in his contract after one year suggests he actually wants to come back to the NHL at some point. However, at the same time, there is no point for him to slum it in the AHL and maybe get the occasional call up when he is far better than that. If he is going to play outside of the NHL, might as well be at home.

I think there is a very good chance he comes back to the NHL at some point in the future. Maybe it won't be with the Leafs, but as long as we hold his rights, we have some interest in how he performs.

I get what you’re saying but I don’t think there is going to be as much movement as people think in terms of the forwards core. I think they will look to move on from both Holl and Dermott, probably move on from Spezza, Ritchie and Mikheyev, and move on from Mrazek. In doing that they can keep Kase and Engvall and Kerfoot. They also have Simmonds for another year with an NMC. I’m just not seeing where Malgin fits in, he’s just more of the same of what we already have. Not sure he’s going to be that effective in a bottom six role but who knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad