Trade: [DEN/SEA] Russell Wilson and 4th for Drew Lock, Shelby Harris, Noah Fant, 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 5th

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wilson has had his share of bad games and awful decisions but honestly, when iv'e watched Denver games, the guy is running for his life almost every dropback, they have no run game, receivers aren't winning 1on1 and coaching isn't scheming guys open.

Most starting quarterbacks would have similar disastrous results imho.

Issue is Denver thought Wilson was some king of savior,Top3 kind of quarterback who could singlehandedly fix everyting and now they are beyond f***ed.

Do feel bad for him a bit honestly

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Wilson has had his share of bad games and awful decisions but honestly, when iv'e watched Denver games, the guy is running for his life almost every dropback, they have no run game, receivers aren't winning 1on1 and coaching isn't scheming guys open.

Issue is Denver thought Wilson was some king of savior,Top3 kind of quarterback who could singlehandedly fix everyting and now they are beyond f***ed.

I’d buy that excuse if he also didn’t suck when he has solid protection. He misses easy open passes with time in the pocket.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Well, the issue indirectly goes back to Peyton Manning. Because he dropped in and performed at a high level immediately...so Broncos country was expecting history to be in their favor because it always had been, and management wanted to "force history" to happen.

Russell Wilson may have always been deficient at reading Ds and finding open guys, but his that inability to read Ds was counterbalanced by his ability to scramble and break Ds by simply extending the time needed for players to cover WRs.

Reactions: Voight

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Well, the issue indirectly goes back to Peyton Manning. Because he dropped in and performed at a high level immediately...so Broncos country was expecting history to be in their favor because it always had been, and management wanted to "force history" to happen.

Russell Wilson may have always been deficient at reading Ds and finding open guys, but his that inability to read Ds was counterbalanced by his ability to scramble and break Ds by simply extending the time needed for players to cover WRs.

Comparing an all time great quarterback like Peyton Manning to Russell Wilson is a stretch, well maybe according to Wilson who thought he was at Peyton's level which is a total head scratch in itself.

I think what happened in the last 3 years in Seattle was he was getting injured and he wanted to become that all time great pocket passer. He must've known his athleticism was gone so he couldn't scramble and make plays with his legs. Unfortunately, Russ was not know for being a great pocket passer.

Peyton Manning was a great pocket passer, as was Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, even John Elway.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
All this and at the end of the day Seattle makes the playoffs and Denver does not :laugh:
If one team was going to be the 7 seed for the PO while the other was the 5th worst team no chance anyone would have bet it would be Sea in the PO.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Saints compensation for Payton starts with a 1st round pick; if the Broncos hire him they'll have to fork out another first round pick, which would result in them not having their first round pick for 3 straight years.

Pretty good work by the Seahawks. Make the playoffs and end up with the 5th pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Saints compensation for Payton starts with a 1st round pick; if the Broncos hire him they'll have to fork out another first round pick, which would result in them not having their first round pick for 3 straight years.

Pretty good work by the Seahawks. Make the playoffs and end up with the 5th pick.
Denver received SF first due to the Chubb trade with Miami this upcoming draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Seemed clear that he didn’t want to return under Pete’s philosophy of Offence. Whether he outright asked for that or he basically openly implied it, the end result was that Jody Allen opted to keep Pete and allow the GM to pull the trigger on a trade for their QB.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

Russ ego for the past years really got to him, then his first year in Denver really showed how his persona really got out of hand.

It really is a relief that it's some other teams' problem at this point. He was beloved here for years, but like you said his ego has really ballooned. Kind of sad.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It really is a relief

It really is a relief that it's some other teams' problem at this point. He was beloved here for years, but like you said his ego has really ballooned. Kind of sad.

I don’t know who got in Wilson’s ear that he needed to be pampered more but his earlier years he wasn't like this. His obsession to win individual awards is a reflection on him that he needs to be validated, which is sorta stupid at this stage of his career.

He is not gonna win MVP unless Mahomes, Allen or Burrow magically regress.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t know who got in Wilson’s ear that he needed to be pampered more but his earlier years he wasn't like this. His obsession to win individual awards is a reflection on him that he needs to be validated, which is sorta stupid at this stage of his career.

Once Mahomes emerged and then Allen and Burrow arrived RW shot at mvp was over.
If they had won that second SB them who knows if that changes his way of thinking. Probably not. But he wants this legacy.
Now after that disaster last season he’s got to right the ship to make the HOF early.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Might be just another domineering "short man".

I mean, he demanded and the Broncos gave him an office on the second floor with the other execs and higher ups(where the normal feeling is fear of getting cut for players going up there)

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I wanted Wilson to crash and burn last year as we had Denver's draft pick. The media/Wilson camp narrative that the Seahawks were going to suck/held Wilson back and Wilson was going to win numerous rings as a gun slinger always pissed me off. Pete Carroll has made mistakes in the past especially in some drafts with John Schneider but he's a damn good coach. That trade and subsequent draft couldn't have went any better for the Seahawks last year. Especially Geno smith suddenly looking competent.

In a weird way, kind of routing for Wilson to turn it around now that they don't play Seattle for years and we don't have any draft capital. I think he can turn it around if he checks the ego and loses some weight. I don't think he'll ever be elite again though, even in his last Seattle season he wasn't the same after that finger issue and he lost his evasiveness years ago but if you play to his strengths and treat him as a game manager he could be above average.

Some of the shit talking about him last year just seemed a bit much or smacked of jealousy. Some he deserved.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wanted Wilson to crash and burn last year as we had Denver's draft pick. The media/Wilson camp narrative that the Seahawks were going to suck/held Wilson back and Wilson was going to win numerous rings as a gun slinger always pissed me off. Pete Carroll has made mistakes in the past especially in some drafts with John Schneider but he's a damn good coach. That trade and subsequent draft couldn't have went any better for the Seahawks last year. Especially Geno smith suddenly looking competent.

In a weird way, kind of routing for Wilson to turn it around now that they don't play Seattle for years and we don't have any draft capital. I think he can turn it around if he checks the ego and loses some weight. I don't think he'll ever be elite again though, even in his last Seattle season he wasn't the same after that finger issue and he lost his evasiveness years ago but if you play to his strengths and treat him as a game manager he could be above average.

Some of the shit talking about him last year just seemed a bit much or smacked of jealousy. Some he deserved.
Russ deserved to take a fall as his ego got out of control. Talking a lot about his legacy vs winning championships. Plus, getting all of those extra things really distanced himself from the rest of the team.

He needed a reality check and eat some humble pie.

I do believe Payton will figure him out and get him back to a good level. Not an MVP as he's lost some of that elusiveness that he had. Russ needs to improve his quickness.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Russ deserved to take a fall as his ego got out of control. Talking a lot about his legacy vs winning championships. Plus, getting all of those extra things really distanced himself from the rest of the team.

He needed a reality check and eat some humble pie.

I do believe Payton will figure him out and get him back to a good level. Not an MVP as he's lost some of that elusiveness that he had. Russ needs to improve his quickness.
I think the concern last year was that the deep ball wasn't as good as it used to be. Some of that was not having DK and Lockett but it must be a concern. I think it also showed that the oline in Seattle got absolutely thrown under the bus unfairly at times. So many sacks are on him trying to find the home run pass.

I definitely think he believed his own hype with the let russ cook stuff. It worked great for half a season until defences realized to just take away the deep ball and he had no answers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think the concern last year was that the deep ball wasn't as good as it used to be. Some of that was not having DK and Lockett but it must be a concern. I think it also showed that the oline in Seattle got absolutely thrown under the bus unfairly at times. So many sacks are on him trying to find the home run pass.

I definitely think he believed his own hype with the let russ cook stuff. It worked great for half a season until defences realized to just take away the deep ball and he had no answers.
Russ has been a 1 maybe 2 read QB. Then it all improvising after that. That's why Russ's insistence that he could be like Brady/Brees from the pocket was not realisitc as he had not done that in Seattle.

Russ took a good number of sacks going for the big play and holding onto the ball too long.

Final season vs Chicago, while in FG range late in the game, he doesn't throw it away, but instead continues to look for a big play and eats a 11 or 13 yard sack and Meyers who was having a rough season missed a high 40's FG attempt vs what would have been around an Extra point attempt to put Seattle up 2 scores and they lose late against a 2 point attempt by Foles and Chicago.

That's when you saw crystal clear that Russ was more about himself vs doing what was best for the team. 10 year vet needed to understand the situation. Go up 2 scores, secure the FG with a struggling K.

Reactions: tank44

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know it is preseason

He still looks franking brutal.
Well, the line was also poor. But, it should have been about changing the game plan. Adjust for the OLine and throw quicker passes, not those longer developing routes which requires better pass protection.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Doesn't help that Hackett gave the guy office space and treated him like the second coming of Christ.

Some of that was due to him being a rookie coach who wanted to appease a veteran QB, and I'm sure ownership factored into that as well.

Reactions: Breakers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad