Trade: [DEN/SEA] Russell Wilson and 4th for Drew Lock, Shelby Harris, Noah Fant, 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 5th

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
As for the contract, with a ntc, I am sure Part of the condition of him waiving the ntc was to secure a contract before the season.

Kind of the reality of the business.

Nope he’s not like them. His style is his style. Work with what you’ve got.
You are likely correct and why I said their hands were tied, but yes, it was probably wishful thinking to suggest he would not have a new deal before this season.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Russell is and will never be a Brady/Manning/Brees type quarterback. He’s more like Fran Tarkenton/Steve Young who was a scrambler and made plays outside the pocket.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing, Tarkenton/Young were great quarterbacks.
A faster and smaller Big Ben, pretty much, but can't read defenses like Big Ben due to smaller size and slower mind.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hackett does seem to be completely in over his head, no doubt, and that surely doesn't help anything. But Russ is who he is at this point. He wants to take the deep outside throws. He doesn't throw to the middle of the field much. On top of it, he's hesitant/unwilling to scramble like he did once - which is fair considering he is approaching his 34th bday - but was also part of the risk the Broncos assumed when acquiring a nearly 34 year old QB. In all, it's gone about as poorly as it could have for Denver. I thought they were being overhyped a bit in the offseason but even I didn't see it being this big of a disaster. I know the Broncos hands were tied a bit with the contract after they traded for him but I don't see why they couldn't have at least waited until he took some snaps as a Bronco to talk about a deal. I don't think Russ is as washed as he has looked, and I think a real NFL coach will help, but I do think there is real cause for concern particularly if he's picking up these "real injuries causing real pain".

Hackett is like Gase. The media and over types gave him too much credit for being the OC while his teams QB was winning awards and also while his team was winning a lot of games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hackett is like Gase. The media and over types gave him too much credit for being the OC while his teams QB was winning awards and also while his team was winning a lot of games.
An OC who didn't call plays. That was still LaFleur. Some guys do fine. Like O'Connell and McDaniel for Min and Mia, neither was a play caller for LAR or SF. But, sometimes, it's best to hand those duties off to someone else as being a first time HC, that's a lot on the plate.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jesus Christ he still had two years left on his inital deal? Bruhhhhh
With a full NTC. So he wasn’t waiving it unless there was a promise of an extension. Reality of business in the nfl when it comes to QBs. I mean, AZ still had the 5th year option on Kyler for next season but extended him before he began year 4.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
IF Wilson is shut down for the year, that first round pick could be top-10, and there will be a lot of excellent QBs available in the upcoming draft. Seattle might pick a QB who is better than Wilson with that one pick alone. Thanks Denver!:laugh:

Reactions: snipes

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
IF Wilson is shut down for the year, that first round pick could be top-10, and there will be a lot of excellent QBs available in the upcoming draft. Seattle might pick a QB who is better than Wilson with that one pick alone. Thanks Denver!:laugh:
He isn't being shutdown.

With the way this team looks offensively, that pick being top 10 is possible regardless.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Broncos wouldn't shut Wilson down.

More importantly, Russell Wilson wouldn't shut Russell Wilson down either.

They're stuck with each other unless he gets an injury he physically can't play through.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Broncos wouldn't shut Wilson down.

More importantly, Russell Wilson wouldn't shut Russell Wilson down either.

They're stuck with each other unless he gets an injury he physically can't play through.
Unless both the scheme and Wilson’s ego change, they will continue to struggle. Get him back to what worked in Seattle.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They were the worst offensive team in the league with Wilson.

That injury doesn’t change too much

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Here’s one for you nostalgia buffs:

1666909269229.png

Russ Washington made Five Pro Bowls. Fred Carr, Larry Csonka and Haven Moses were other notables who went in the next Five picks.

Domres didn’t amount to anything but Fred Dryer, Bill Stanfil and Rufus Mayes went in the next 5.

There’s a reason you’ve never heard of Steve Tensi.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Unless both the scheme and Wilson’s ego change, they will continue to struggle. Get him back to what worked in Seattle.
Everyone is blowing this out of proportion, I think. Dickard Sherman talked a lot of smack about Wilson on a Thursday Night game and it seems the entire internet world has turned upside down on Wilson. Who listens to Sherman? Dude has been an angry asshole since he came into the league and he is still an angry asswipe in retirement. Dude is almost 40 and still acts like a 14 yr angst teenager in detention. Wilson is having a bad year, lots of good QBs are having a bad year, heck most of the league is terrible this year. I don’t even like the Hawks, Broncos or Wilson but the mud dragging is way over the top.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Everyone is blowing this out of proportion, I think. Dickard Sherman talked a lot of smack about Wilson on a Thursday Night game and it seems the entire internet world has turned upside down on Wilson. Who listens to Sherman? Dude has been an angry asshole since he came into the league and he is still an angry asswipe in retirement. Dude is almost 40 and still acts like a 14 yr angst teenager in detention. Wilson is having a bad year, lots of good QBs are having a bad year, heck most of the league is terrible this year. I don’t even like the Hawks, Broncos or Wilson but the mud dragging is way over the top.

Compared to what Wilson did in Seattle the where the past couple of seasons where the OL was about the same and Seattle had injuries to their RB group as well and the D wasn’t as good Russ is way off. His style of play is very different. Very few designed roll outs.

Is Russ washed? No. I think his slide this year is due to scheme and his ego in trying to play completely from the pocket.

But he needs to be at all of the OTA and volunteer workouts with his new HC in the off season and actually play in the pre season to ensure that the offence is down Pat before next season begins.

Reactions: Barnum

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Compared to what Wilson did in Seattle the where the past couple of seasons where the OL was about the same and Seattle had injuries to their RB group as well and the D wasn’t as good Russ is way off. His style of play is very different. Very few designed roll outs.

Is Russ washed? No. I think his slide this year is due to scheme and his ego in trying to play completely from the pocket.

But he needs to be at all of the OTA and volunteer workouts with his new HC in the off season and actually play in the pre season to ensure that the offence is down Pat before next season begins.
I don’t know about all the ego talk, maybe you are right, I don’t know enough about his personal life. He just seems like an odd dude ala Phil Kessel, just awkward in every aspect of his life. I am pretty sure the place where Sherman coming from is from a dark ugly racist place that Wilson is not black enough for him. To continually blame Wilson for that one play is ridiculous and Sherman definitely hints other issues. The Wilson bashing didn’t start til Sherman started crapping on him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Why would he need a room away from 2 other QBs? When Rivers was still with the chargers he decked out a car so that he could still live in SD and get driven up to practice in LA and watch film during the commute to and from. Brought in his backup QB along for the ride.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Why would he need a room away from 2 other QBs? When Rivers was still with the chargers he decked out a car so that he could still live in SD and get driven up to practice in LA and watch film during the commute to and from. Brought in his backup QB along for the ride.

Russell is way too high maintenance, he needs his entourage to be well groomed

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Russell is way too high maintenance, he needs his entourage to be well groomed
Used to think it was just the loud Defense of Sherman and Bennett that didn’t like Russ. Seems most of the team not just the D got fed up with his Team 3 people and the Dangeruss persona.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Used to think it was just the loud Defense of Sherman and Bennett that didn’t like Russ. Seems most of the team not just the D got fed up with his Team 3 people and the Dangeruss persona.
I hate saying this cause honestly, I do not like the Broncos whatsoever, not even a little bit. I’ve hated them since the 70s. Wilson, same type of thing, don’t care about him at all. But I am looking at the sources of all this talk and I am not convinced it’s accurate. Sherman, Bennett and now Sharpe, I would’t trust any of them to tell the truth about anything. Sharpe has been this path many times before with other players and he was wrong. All three of them are known for embellishments and stirring the pot.

That said, lots of smoke might mean a fire too. I will wait til I hear more about Wilson from another source.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
This will go down as one of if not the worst trade in NFL history and I absolutely love it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Wilson looks washed

People can try to lay fault at OL, etc. but he is missing guys who are wide open while facing no rush
He may be, but he’s also playing hurt. Lat muscle injuries are no joke.

As for Richard Sherman, wonder what his opinion is of people who beat on their ol’ lady’s doors and threaten them. Guy is working hard running his mouth recently trying to deflect.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad