Rumor: Demko available? Value?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Canucks aren't trading anyone, they just need to make it through one more season then Pearson/Sutter/Beartschi/Edler/Spooner are entirely off the books. They can let Stecher/Tanev walk, dump Eriksson + Sutter in the AHL (2 million cap savings), and trade Jordie Benn.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
The offseason that could haunt the Canucks... moving Boeser and Demko!! That’s some very risky moves given the skill level and ceiling of both those players. All because we had to sign Eriksson, give Sutter that kinda money and giving out wasteful deals for bottom 6 players.

I really like Markstorm but I would let him go to keep Demko, I think Demko will be the better goalie.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks would probably be interested in Demko but it’d have to be a pretty big trade as I doubt Vancouver has much interest in trading him in division unless it really blows their socks off. I’d be interested in a big deal that maybe addresses their need by dangling Burns out there but they may not like what would be tagged with him to make a deal. Something around Burns and Jones for Demko and cap dumps. I don’t know.

Reactions: themelkman

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Sharks would probably be interested in Demko but it’d have to be a pretty big trade as I doubt Vancouver has much interest in trading him in division unless it really blows their socks off. I’d be interested in a big deal that maybe addresses their need by dangling Burns out there but they may not like what would be tagged with him to make a deal. Something around Burns and Jones for Demko and cap dumps. I don’t know.

I mean we're talking a lot of cap dumps to accommodate that, and 2/3 of ours expire next season, Jones defeats the purpose of why Demko would be available (to dump ballast).

Being in division isn't the end of the world to me though. The right return is way more important.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I mean we're talking a lot of cap dumps to accommodate that, and 2/3 of ours expire next season, Jones defeats the purpose of why Demko would be available (to dump ballast).

Being in division isn't the end of the world to me though. The right return is way more important.

I don’t think it defeats the purpose. You’re addressing a need by having Burns. You’re trading an available goalie and cap dumps into a quality RHD. I get that it’s a big deal but Burns is still an impact player.

If you’re able to turn Eriksson, Baertschi, and Sutter into Burns at the expense of swapping Demko for Jones, you’d save three mil in cap after buying Jones out if you don’t want him. But you’re still getting Burns for cap dumps and a goalie you weren’t going with who is alone only worth a 2nd round pick more or less.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'd do to Detroit Loui Erikkson+Thatcher Demko to Vancouver San Joses 2020 3rd round pick
If Detroit made such an offer Benn No would be foolish not to accept. He’d clear six million off his cap. Detroit gets a top young goalie. Imo it’s a win for both teams.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t think it defeats the purpose. You’re addressing a need by having Burns. You’re trading an available goalie and cap dumps into a quality RHD. I get that it’s a big deal but Burns is still an impact player.

If you’re able to turn Eriksson, Baertschi, and Sutter into Burns at the expense of swapping Demko for Jones, you’d save three mil in cap after buying Jones out if you don’t want him. But you’re still getting Burns for cap dumps and a goalie you weren’t going with who is alone only worth a 2nd round pick more or less.

13.75 million in cap hit for the whole flat cap era, and until 2024, is a bad move and a bad for for us, period. I don't know that I see Burns playing up to that 8 million dollar cap hit for it's duration, and Jones will never, ever, ever make that worth our while here.

We have Pettersson and Hughes coming off elcs shortly, 13.75 million of Burns(and I stress ONLY Burns) throws our future into question, and Pearson, Edler, and other pieces will need to be re upped as well, and the cap space from Sutter and Baertschi will be invested in Jones.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
The offseason that could haunt the Canucks... moving Boeser and Demko!! That’s some very risky moves given the skill level and ceiling of both those players. All because we had to sign Eriksson, give Sutter that kinda money and giving out wasteful deals for bottom 6 players.

I really like Markstorm but I would let him go to keep Demko, I think Demko will be the better goalie.

Oilers will take both.

For Jimmy's nephew :sarcasm:

But seriously I don't know what they could realistically give up for that to happen so I'm assuming that deal is ea only.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Not sure if Yzerman would do it, And with Eriksson attached i seriously doubt that Benning would get a better offer. I just want Demko. Maybe Eriksson agrees to waive to Detroit if Yzerman promises him he'll deal him to one of his requested teams on his trade list.

Moving cap hit is the main reason Demko and Boeser would be available. Our need is cap space more then assets. Demko alone would need to be someone who would impact our team, now and in the future, making a similar cap hit.

If Yzerman is interested in weaponizing his cap space this would be a path I can support.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

The problem for me would be the term. Burns at $8M for five more years isn’t something I’d want any part of.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
13.75 million in cap hit for the whole flat cap era, and until 2024, is a bad move and a bad for for us, period. I don't know that I see Burns playing up to that 8 million dollar cap hit for it's duration, and Jones will never, ever, ever make that worth our while here.

We have Pettersson and Hughes coming off elcs shortly, 13.75 million of Burns(and I stress ONLY Burns) throws our future into question, and Pearson, Edler, and other pieces will need to be re upped as well, and the cap space from Sutter and Baertschi will be invested in Jones.

You're trading back Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, and Demko. That's an even swap where you could then save three mil more buying out Jones. If you can't afford Burns then you can't afford an RHD that would actually fill your need there.

Pettersson and Hughes come up after next season when you have Pearson, Edler, and Benn coming off the books for 11.75 mil. That should be enough and if not then Roussel and/or Beagle should be movable. Hell they may be movable in this deal if you need cap space while getting Burns.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The problem for me would be the term. Burns at $8M for five more years isn’t something I’d want any part of.

Then trade him when he's no longer useful to you. The Canucks time to go for it is before Pettersson and Hughes get paid. Burns will still have trade value.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You're trading back Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, and Demko. That's an even swap where you could then save three mil more buying out Jones. If you can't afford Burns then you can't afford an RHD that would actually fill your need there.

Pettersson and Hughes come up after next season when you have Pearson, Edler, and Benn coming off the books for 11.75 mil. That should be enough and if not then Roussel and/or Beagle should be movable. Hell they may be movable in this deal if you need cap space while getting Burns.

You're sending 13.75 million for 4 years, 5.75 being completely dead to us, for one year of 15 million, and a second year of 6+Demkos new RFA contract. If it was just Burns, fine, 8 million isn't awful for his contributions. We can't afford Jones, and have no desire to take him on, under any conditions. You made an offer that took no consideration for the team you're trading with.

You're saying we should take on Burns (huge plus short term) and Jones (dead weight to us, period) and we should walk important UFAs for just over a million in cap space (actually less considering we would be burying Baertschi) for one season.

We don't have the cap space to take on the cap you are proposing long term. We save nothing this year, and while we get Burns this year, we can afford to keep him, likely in his decline, and key pieces to our team later. This is not a move the Canucks should consider.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hawks will have to look into this. I dunno if Demko can be a true starter or not, but the Hawks need a Crawford replacement cause there ain't one in the system.

Here's what I propose.

To Chicago:
:hawks
-Thatcher Demko

To Vancouver:
:nucks
-Drake Caggiula
-Michal Teply

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You're sending 13.75 million for 4 years, 5.75 being completely dead to us, for one year of 15 million, and a second year of 6+Demkos new RFA contract. If it was just Burns, fine, 8 million isn't awful for his contributions. We can't afford Jones, and have no desire to take him on, under any conditions. You made an offer that took no consideration for the team you're trading with.

You're saying we should take on Burns (huge plus short term) and Jones (dead weight to us, period) and we should walk important UFAs for just over a million in cap space (actually less considering we would be burying Baertschi) for one season.

We don't have the cap space to take on the cap you are proposing long term. We save nothing this year, and while we get Burns this year, we can afford to keep him, likely in his decline, and key pieces to our team later. This is not a move the Canucks should consider.

Yeah it actually did take into consideration of them. You simply don't like it. Burns as an rhd is taking your team into consideration. Just because you don't like Jones or his contract doesn't change that fact.

The second part is not accurate because the cap space I spoke of accounts for Baertschi being buried.

You're wrong to say you don't have the cap space as I explained how you would. You can make that deal, be much better in the next two to three years, and still afford the core of the team while filling out the rest more effectively. You get Burns for cheap in assets and only have to carry Burns' 8 mil while he's useful to you and at worst carry a Jones cap hit of <3 mil if he's bought out.

Look I get it's not your dream deal but you're not going to get a player like Burns on the open market and you're not going to get him without paying a reasonable price. If you want Burns by himself, you're looking at Demko plus a lot more that are actually useful to your team's success moving forward. And if those don't work for you, you're likely looking at another bad ufa overpay that won't help you much anyway. I don't want to give up Burns to get rid of Jones but it's a possibility to consider.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Hawks will have to look into this. I dunno if Demko can be a true starter or not, but the Hawks need a Crawford replacement cause there ain't one in the system.

Here's what I propose.

To Chicago:
:hawks
-Thatcher Demko

To Vancouver:
:nucks
-Drake Caggiula
-Michal Teply

If Demko is dealt, it has to be with the intention of shedding salary.

Demko and one of Eriksson/Sutter/Baertschi for a draft pick or prospect is likely the only trades the Canucks would consider.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'd do to Detroit Loui Erikkson+Thatcher Demko to Vancouver San Joses 2020 3rd round pick

I’d take that. It would mean we could re-sign Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev. Sucks losing Demko, but we need to find a way to sell off a decent sized cap dump contract. Keep Markstrom and bring in DiPietro as a back up maybe the year after next.

Reactions: Szechwan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad