Rumor: Demko available? Value?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

1:10 into the clip.

"Canucks committed to markstrom, Demko becomes a likely trade chip should markstrom resign, Canucks Will not lose demko and let him walk to seattle"

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks are up against the salary cap. We are talking about 20% escrow for next season. No home town discount coming from anyone. The typical 10% is now out the window from the past couple of years.

need to find some cap savings somewhere.

$20 mill in Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Sven, Lu recapture and Spooner buyout.

if there is cap savings to be found that’s one of the places. Better chance of Demko playing well then finding a $1.5 mill Dman to take over for Tanev as an example.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I wouldn’t classify Demko as one of the Canucks stars. He’s a backup with good numbers in the minors but meh numbers in the big show. He wouldn’t bring much in a trade and he wouldn’t bring any cap savings

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
A Thatcher Demko trade is inevitable before the expansion draft in my opinion.

If we're doing it closer to the draft itself, he will have played another season and I would hope we'd be out of cap troubles and be seeking a package of picks/prospects in return.

If we were to do it now, it'd be incredibly tricky as we'd need another backup, one that likely costs more than his low 1.05m.

So were adding cap while we desperately need to dump it.

Because of this, we'd need to attach a high salaried player along with, which diminishes his value.

If Grubauer, with a better established record, and Orpiks 5.5 mill buyout gets a 2nd, maybe drop a round.

I'd shoot for around a 3rd, if we attach Brandon Sutters 4.375 million.

But then we need a backup, and theres no decent UFA's.

So now were trading a 2nd for Linus Ullmark type and paying him 1 mill more than Demko.

We just traded a 2nd for a 3rd and 3 mill capspace. Thats the tricky were gonna have to deal with if someone wants Demko now.

Reactions: TSN Jdog

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Canucks would be wise to let Markstrom go and keep Demko. Our window is just beginning in a year or two Demko lines up better with the core. Sure Markstrom is better now but will he be in 2-4 years? Why pay Markstrom big dollars when Demko can hold the fort for less and hopefully keep developing moving forward with our young core.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks would be wise to let Markstrom go and keep Demko. Our window is just beginning in a year or two Demko lines up better with the core. Sure Markstrom is better now but will he be in 2-4 years? Why pay Markstrom big dollars when Demko can hold the fort for less and hopefully keep developing moving forward with our young core.
I agree, especially in light of the $20 mill in bad contracts that they have on the books. Plus they owe big extensions to Hughes and Petey in a year's time when Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Luongo cap hits are still on the books for another $15 million.

A bunch of other teams need to unload contracts. After moving Madden and a 2nd, along with a 1st and 3rd for Miller, the Canucks can't afford to move more draft picks.

And I believe that you stand a much better chance of getting close Markstrom level production from Demko than bringing in another low cost Dman like Benn to replace Tanev.

In light of the economic realities, players know that what they sign for is only going to be 80% of what they end up with before taxes. $5 mill becomes $4 million, not $4.5 mill based on prior couple of year's escrow amounts.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary

I agree, especially in light of the $20 mill in bad contracts that they have on the books. Plus they owe big extensions to Hughes and Petey in a year's time when Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Luongo cap hits are still on the books for another $15 million.

A bunch of other teams need to unload contracts. After moving Madden and a 2nd, along with a 1st and 3rd for Miller, the Canucks can't afford to move more draft picks.

And I believe that you stand a much better chance of getting close Markstrom level production from Demko than bringing in another low cost Dman like Benn to replace Tanev.

In light of the economic realities, players know that what they sign for is only going to be 80% of what they end up with before taxes. $5 mill becomes $4 million, not $4.5 mill based on prior couple of year's escrow amounts.

This team, no matter what rendition we are in (rebuild, retool, playoffs, allin), cannot afford to fall flat on their face due to goaltending. We're already wasting our elc's due to a roster of dead weight, we dont keep Markstrom and this ship officially sinks, and im a huge Demko fan.

Look around the league, all the vet backups, which id hope we'd get to pair with Thatcher, all cost 2+ million a year.

So its a savings of 3 mill for alot of "hopefully's" when it comes to the one position we're stacked and solid at.

Never gonna happen.

Benny cant let his fate rest on a 23 yr old goaltender with 30gp when he can sign basically a homegrown talent, longterm for 6 mill which puts him smack dab in the middle of goaltenders salaries.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
This team, no matter what rendition we are in (rebuild, retool, playoffs, allin), cannot afford to fall flat on their face due to goaltending. We're already wasting our elc's due to a roster of dead weight, we dont keep Markstrom and this ship officially sinks, and im a huge Demko fan.

Look around the league, all the vet backups, which id hope we'd get to pair with Thatcher, all cost 2+ million a year.

So its a savings of 3 mill for alot of "hopefully's" when it comes to the one position we're stacked and solid at.

Never gonna happen.

Benny cant let his fate rest on a 23 yr old goaltender with 30gp when he can sign basically a homegrown talent, longterm for 6 mill which puts him smack dab in the middle of goaltenders salaries.
Problem is we don't have the cap space to sign Markstrom for 6. The cap is a real problem moving forward until these dead weight contracts go away in 2-3 years plus the Luongo penalty.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
Problem is we don't have the cap space to sign Markstrom for 6. The cap is a real problem moving forward until these dead weight contracts go away in 2-3 years plus the Luongo penalty.

We have 18 million dollars in capspace. After Markstrom, its 12.

The way I see it, Markstrom is the roof over our heads.

Virtanen, Stecher, Gaudette, Macewan, Motte are the cost of transit and food im really gonna need for the next month..

Tanev is the internet bill..

Toffoli is the cable..

If I burn through that 12 million before I get to the bottom, I do without cable, then internet if necessary.

But thats how important I view goaltending to any hopes we have of winning with this rendition of the team.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Demko isn't the problem with our cap.

Demko isn't the problem with our team.

If Demko facilitates a trade that either frees up cap, fills a position of need (RHD, high draft picks, ELCs about to "pop" and/or prospects), is a part of a larger trade or otherwise benefits the team as a whole, then....sure, he's available.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
I wouldn’t classify Demko as one of the Canucks stars. He’s a backup with good numbers in the minors but meh numbers in the big show. He wouldn’t bring much in a trade and he wouldn’t bring any cap savings
I'm not sure.

Star NHL goalies are very difficult to find. Teams have drafted them in the top-10 of the draft and failed to find one. Of the few goalies that become stars, many of them come out of nowhere.

And then there are the rare goalies who are stars as young prospects, get drafted high, continue as stars through college/post-draft/Europe and continue as stars into the AHL. These are the almost-slam-dunk NHL stars. We're talking about Carey Price. John Gibson. Andrei Vasilevskiy. Thatcher Demo is one of the few prospects who is - so far - in this group. He's not only succeeded, but been a star, at every level he's ever played at, up until the NHL level, where he's just dipped his toes in.

So he probably wouldn't bring a lot in a trade, but he might bring more than people think. But I'm not sure Vancouver should trade him. It's tough because Markstrom has played beyond that of a mere mortal.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
We have 18 million dollars in capspace. After Markstrom, its 12.

The way I see it, Markstrom is the roof over our heads.

Virtanen, Stecher, Gaudette, Macewan, Motte are the cost of transit and food im really gonna need for the next month..

Tanev is the internet bill..

Toffoli is the cable..

If I burn through that 12 million before I get to the bottom, I do without cable, then internet if necessary.

But thats how important I view goaltending to any hopes we have of winning with this rendition of the team.
You also need to remember the cap is staying flat for a few years and we will need to keep space for Pettersson, Hughes, 1 UFA Dman and just general raises for the kids. Why not give Demko a chance and see what we have. I'm in no rush to lock up Markstrom if it takes 6 per long term. If we can get him signed for 5 for 3-4 years I'd be ok with it but really Demko needs to start playing more games to see what we have. He's progressed well but really he's still raw. Goalies take awhile as Markstrom himself is 30 now and really only at 28 showed what we expected of him all along. Should we not try seeing what Demko is as well now? Be a shame to spend all these years developing him just to trade him away for a 2nd possibly or lose him to Seattle? If he is the real deal he lines up much better then markstrom for the core to age together.

Reactions: Yannickg

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
You also need to remember the cap is staying flat for a few years and we will need to keep space for Pettersson, Hughes, 1 UFA Dman and just general raises for the kids. Why not give Demko a chance and see what we have. I'm in no rush to lock up Markstrom if it takes 6 per long term. If we can get him signed for 5 for 3-4 years I'd be ok with it but really Demko needs to start playing more games to see what we have. He's progressed well but really he's still raw. Goalies take awhile as Markstrom himself is 30 now and really only at 28 showed what we expected of him all along. Should we not try seeing what Demko is as well now? Be a shame to spend all these years developing him just to trade him away for a 2nd possibly or lose him to Seattle? If he is the real deal he lines up much better then markstrom for the core to age together.

Yes if I was running things, I would keep Demko.

We've invested alot into him, hes a good kid, hes won everywhere hes gone, and the Schneider sting still hurts.

Realistically, hes a goner within the next calendar hockey year.

We cant afford to bank on him being the real deal. We know Markstom is.

Thats all it comes down to. When jobs are on the line, Benning doesnt care about the cap situation in 2 years if hes canned.

This has been a present focused management group for a while now, they aint gonna start thinking longterm with any type of plan.

Plus they have Dipietro. That makes a whole bunch of difference in our case too. Sign Marky 4 years thats perfect time to be past expansion and give Mikey 3 years to stew under a vet.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm curious. Are people forgetting Vancouver can trade a minor asset to Seattle to keep them from picking Demko, or do they not think he's worth it?

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
I'm curious. Are people forgetting Vancouver can trade a minor asset to Seattle to keep them from picking Demko, or do they not think he's worth it?

Is Demko going to want to stick around while we give Markstrom a likely longterm deal? Cory Schneider all over again potentially.

Theres also an angle though where leaving Demko open might save us from losing a Virtanen, Gaudette, Kole Line type so might be a calculated move on our part.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Goodness I’d hate to see the team roll the dice with Demko. From what I’ve seen his ceiling is well below Markstrom. We could be in a world of hurt if our hopes are pinned on him making massive strides forward; that may never happen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the goalie market is so saturated that assuming Demko would be lost to Seattle is a flimsy assumption. Just talking as of now, goalies like Korpisalo, Jarry, Samsonov (if Holtby re-signs), Georgiyev, Saros (if Rinne re-signs) and Petersen (I doubt LA protects Quick over him, but it's possible) may also be available at the expansion draft, plus there could be some highly regarded prospects (Ingram from Nashville, Kahkonen from Minnesota) and veterans available too.

Reactions: lawrence

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think the goalie market is so saturated that assuming Demko would be lost to Seattle is a flimsy assumption. Just talking as of now, goalies like Korpisalo, Jarry, Samsonov (if Holtby re-signs), Georgiyev, Saros (if Rinne re-signs) and Petersen (I doubt LA protects Quick over him, but it's possible) may also be available at the expansion draft, plus there could be some highly regarded prospects (Ingram from Nashville, Kahkonen from Minnesota) and veterans available too.

This. Plus, likely high hopes, but Price could also be available to Seattle, too. However that's unlikely as a lot of things need to happen.

Canucks can sign Demko and just trade away a 3rd to Seattle to protect him, assuming they're not forced to expose someone who's likely more valuable than Demko anyways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad