Rumor: Demko available? Value?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Demko is one of several players/ prospects who is available as sweetener to dump bad contracts like Loui Errikson, Brandon Sutter, Sven Baertchi, etc.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Canucks are up against the salary cap. We are talking about 20% escrow for next season. No home town discount coming from anyone. The typical 10% is now out the window from the past couple of years.

need to find some cap savings somewhere.

$20 mill in Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Sven, Lu recapture and Spooner buyout.

if there is cap savings to be found that’s one of the places. Better chance of Demko playing well then finding a $1.5 mill Dman to take over for Tanev as an example.
The thing about our current cap situation that tends to be ignored mostly by the ani-Benning crowd is how we have almost every contract off the books the next 2 seasons. I won't derail this thread more by going through every contract that will be replaced internally but just for example, Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Beagle etc most likely get replaced within.
For all we know LE will retire instead of riding the bus for 2 years for 5 mill when he's made 70+ in his career. Baer is in a contract year and if he wants to have a shot at a decent deal, he needs to play anywhere but the AHL.
So for those reasons, I think Demko stays unless a great deal is offered.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I wouldn’t classify Demko as one of the Canucks stars. He’s a backup with good numbers in the minors but meh numbers in the big show. He wouldn’t bring much in a trade and he wouldn’t bring any cap savings
While it's true he isn't a star yet this was his rookie season and up until Marky was injured his numbers were simalir to to Marky's. I've always been a Marky guy and the last 10 games with Demko were pretty tough to watch, but the kid never once got rattled or lost his confidence. All young goalies need that experience to get better and the last game against the Isles he was fantastic. Keep in mind the Nucks play a style that pushes the game and often causes a lot of high danger chances against them.
Having a guy like Marky who has a 940 save% in games over 40 shots is why they could get away with it. Demko is similar but he is prone to losing focus, I think he breaks out next year and a decision can be made at the trade deadline.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I agree, especially in light of the $20 mill in bad contracts that they have on the books. Plus they owe big extensions to Hughes and Petey in a year's time when Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Luongo cap hits are still on the books for another $15 million.

A bunch of other teams need to unload contracts. After moving Madden and a 2nd, along with a 1st and 3rd for Miller, the Canucks can't afford to move more draft picks.

And I believe that you stand a much better chance of getting close Markstrom level production from Demko than bringing in another low cost Dman like Benn to replace Tanev.

In light of the economic realities, players know that what they sign for is only going to be 80% of what they end up with before taxes. $5 mill becomes $4 million, not $4.5 mill based on prior couple of year's escrow amounts.
I keep hearing about this cap crunch we're in yet as of now we haven't lost a single player of our own and we're able to add TT Myers and Ferland. If you look at what comes off the books (70mill) in the next 3 seasons, were in a pretty damn good situation considering guys like Podz, Hog lind, Rathbone, Woo, Joulevi will most likely be replacing them.

As for this season, if Benning wants to resign Tanev, Marky and TT, he will need about 8-9 million on top of the 17 mill we will already have. LE I'm confident will be gone, (6mill) letting Stech, Motte and Fanta walk is another 4 mill. Sutter if he cant be traded can be bought out saving 3 mill.
Finally Baer and his 3.5 mill will be terminated its already rumoured hes going to Europe. So in those scenarios thats almost 20 million extra, so finding the extra money really isn't as doom nd gloom.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I keep hearing about this cap crunch we're in yet as of now we haven't lost a single player of our own and we're able to add TT Myers and Ferland. If you look at what comes off the books (70mill) in the next 3 seasons, were in a pretty damn good situation considering guys like Podz, Hog lind, Rathbone, Woo, Joulevi will most likely be replacing them.

As for this season, if Benning wants to resign Tanev, Marky and TT, he will need about 8-9 million on top of the 17 mill we will already have. LE I'm confident will be gone, (6mill) letting Stech, Motte and Fanta walk is another 4 mill. Butter if he cant be traded can be bought out saving 3 mill.
Finally Baer and his 3.5 mill will be terminated its already rumoured hes going to Europe. So in those scenarios thats almost 20 million extra. So finding the extra money really isn't that

Why is Loui Erikson (magically) gone?
IMO, to dump Loui will cost Demko as sweetener.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
While it's true he isn't a star yet this was his rookie season and up until Marky was injured his numbers were simalir to to Marky's. I've always been a Marky guy and the last 10 games with Demko were pretty tough to watch, but the kid never once got rattled or lost his confidence. All young goalies need that experience to get better and the last game against the Isles he was fantastic. Keep in mind the Nucks play a style that pushes the game and often causes a lot of high danger chances against them.
Having a guy like Marky who has a 940 save% in games over 40 shots is why they could get away with it. Demko is similar but he is prone to losing focus, I think he breaks out next year and a decision can be made at the trade deadline.
He very well could develop into a legit starter. I was just commenting on the topic of the thread. Which was the Canucks are considering moving one of their stars. Demko isn’t one of them yet.

Edit. It looks like the topic has been changed. Lol

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Keep Demko for another year as it buys you more time to make a decision. He doesn't have great value so it's unlikely to can dump someone with him....especially because you then need a backup goalie who will cut into that savings.

Patience. See how he does next year. And losing a backup goalie to Seattle is not the worse loss in expansion as it protects your other depth.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
If everybody knows Seattle is going to claim Demko, then you can picture a similar scenario to MAF's trade to Vegas. You won't get anything close to value in return..... and Demko is lightyears behind MAF in regards to value. Good luck! :laugh:

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Theyd be silly to move Demko and not Markstrom

They arent contenders and wont be for at least a few years, contracts on the books for bad players for 2-3 years still, and Demko could cost far less and be as good or better longer term

Though if youre not confident in Demko then I suppose

Reactions: EdJovanovski

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm curious. Are people forgetting Vancouver can trade a minor asset to Seattle to keep them from picking Demko, or do they not think he's worth it?
When they have Dipietro in the system who will be 22 when seattle enters the NHL?
Plus Demko is a 2014 draft pick. He would be ufa in 2023. So how do you end up keeping all of Markstrom, Demko and Dipietro in 2022 after Dipietro is done his elc? Just delaying the inevitable.

About cap space, the Canucks are likely pushing rookie bonuses for Petey and Hughes to future years when the cap is flat.

so that $18 mill in cap space is not really what they have. Especially if Hughes wins the Calder.

ufas are Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli
Rfa are Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher.

off the books after next season are sutter, Sven, Edler, Benn and spooner buyout. $17 mill. 3 roster spots so need to replace them at $3 mill minimum. So have $14 mill in cap room. Is that enough to add onto the elc of Petey and Hughes to get them extended?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Canucks have Markstrom (assuming re-signed), Demko and DiPietro. It’s inevitable that one of Demko or DiPietro gets traded. Personally I’d hang onto Demko as a back up until closer to the expansion draft and then make the decision who goes. I still see a potential starter in Demko much like Corey Schneider especially if the Canucks goalie coach, Ian Clark, can work with him for another year. Few saw Markstrom as a legit starter until last year and he’s improved massively under Clark.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Whatever the Canucks do, need to do it soon. Teams aren’t going to take on another goalie closer to the expansion draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

As for this season, if Benning wants to resign Tanev, Marky and TT, he will need about 8-9 million on top of the 17 mill we will already have. LE I'm confident will be gone, (6mill) letting Stech, Motte and Fanta walk is another 4 mill. Sutter if he cant be traded can be bought out saving 3 mill.
Finally Baer and his 3.5 mill will be terminated its already rumoured hes going to Europe. So in those scenarios thats almost 20 million extra, so finding the extra money really isn't as doom nd gloom.
You are banking on too much. Sutter, a buyout leaves them with a cap hit of $2 mill next season and another million the year afterwards. He would count $4.3 mill against the cap so if you are eating $2 mill in a buyout plus his replacement would make close to $1 mill the net savings on him is likely $1.3 mill against the cap next season. If you buyout roster players, the net savings needs to include replacement cost.

Sven, no one has any idea what he will do. AHL doesn’t sound like they will start unless fans can attend as they need gate revenue. Next season won’t begin until Jan. He is due $2.4 mill cash next season. Prorated with escrow what will he be at? $1.5 for a 50 game season less 20% so down to $1.2 mill? Is he going to get close to that in Europe?

Loui, getting $3 mill in SB for next season this month. He walks, he needs to return that.

canucks have not lost anyone because they didn’t exactly have guys that they had to keep.

Canucks issue was that they kept adding without being able to move out a contract that didn’t work out for them.

TSN Jdog

Apr 25, 2016
Starting to hate the Leafs
A Thatcher Demko trade is inevitable before the expansion draft in my opinion.

If we're doing it closer to the draft itself, he will have played another season and I would hope we'd be out of cap troubles and be seeking a package of picks/prospects in return.

If we were to do it now, it'd be incredibly tricky as we'd need another backup, one that likely costs more than his low 1.05m.

So were adding cap while we desperately need to dump it.

Because of this, we'd need to attach a high salaried player along with, which diminishes his value.

If Grubauer, with a better established record, and Orpiks 5.5 mill buyout gets a 2nd, maybe drop a round.

I'd shoot for around a 3rd, if we attach Brandon Sutters 4.375 million.

But then we need a backup, and theres no decent UFA's.

So now were trading a 2nd for Linus Ullmark type and paying him 1 mill more than Demko.

We just traded a 2nd for a 3rd and 3 mill capspace. Thats the tricky were gonna have to deal with if someone wants Demko now.

Or sign a league minimum back up like Brossoit or Hutchinson

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Markstrom is 30. They're letting go of the wrong goalie if Demko is on the way out

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Markstrom is not the answer in net. Never has been. He's a backup and he's 30. Canucks should commit to Demko at 24 and see if he can be the man in net.
He's been better and better since he came to Vancouver. Not sure what you're talking about. I just think that the Canucks are better off not paying big bucks for him and giving Demko a go. Maybe you sign a cheaper veteran backup for 1-2 years in the meantime

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would only offer a 3rd.

Markstrom is the better goalie, so I could see why Vancouver fans would be looking at Demko's value.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I hope this is BS because I would love to sign Markstrom 5 years at 6 million for the oilers. There are some who like Holtby, but I think Markstrom is a better goalie.

Reactions: McSuper

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
A Thatcher Demko trade is inevitable before the expansion draft in my opinion.

If we're doing it closer to the draft itself, he will have played another season and I would hope we'd be out of cap troubles and be seeking a package of picks/prospects in return.

If we were to do it now, it'd be incredibly tricky as we'd need another backup, one that likely costs more than his low 1.05m.

So were adding cap while we desperately need to dump it.

Because of this, we'd need to attach a high salaried player along with, which diminishes his value.

If Grubauer, with a better established record, and Orpiks 5.5 mill buyout gets a 2nd, maybe drop a round.

I'd shoot for around a 3rd, if we attach Brandon Sutters 4.375 million.

But then we need a backup, and theres no decent UFA's.

So now were trading a 2nd for Linus Ullmark type and paying him 1 mill more than Demko.

We just traded a 2nd for a 3rd and 3 mill capspace. Thats the tricky were gonna have to deal with if someone wants Demko now.
Uh, the Sabres aren't trading their 25 year old starting goaltender...especially when they have nobody else ready for the job.

Not unless Demko is coming back anyways.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Canucks keep Thatcher Demko: he may very well be the heir apparent.
Wouldn't want to re-sign Jacob Markstrom for any longer than 3 years b/c of it. If Markstrom is looking for a longer term deal, Canucks should consider acquiring a veteran (stop-gap) starter to split games w/ Demko next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad