Rumor: Demko available? Value?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Goalies don't hold that type of value. Especially in a flat cap

They do if a team is high on them. Demko isn’t going to get you out from an albatross of a deal, but it could get you out of a contract like Sven Baertschi IMO.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Demko is one of several players/ prospects who is available as sweetener to dump bad contracts like Loui Errikson, Brandon Sutter, Sven Baertchi, etc.
Why do we need to trade good young players for sutter or baer when we could just buy them out and create cap space.
We only had tofolli for ten games and he was a temp replacement for boeser so now that we have boeser back we can let tofolli walk and stetcher for that matter but I don't think we need to dump our young players for cap space.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Moving cap hit is the main reason Demko and Boeser would be available. Our need is cap space more then assets. Demko alone would need to be someone who would impact our team, now and in the future, making a similar cap hit.

If Yzerman is interested in weaponizing his cap space this would be a path I can support.
I think if we need cap then buying out Beagle and Russell along with letting tofolli and stetcher walk brings us to about the same level we started out at last year and with the improvement of our young core we should be better bu I'm sure not seeing a need to go all willy nilly and start dumping our young core when we dont really have to.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Why do we need to trade good young players for sutter or baer when we could just buy them out and create cap space.
We only had tofolli for ten games and he was a temp replacement for boeser so now that we have boeser back we can let tofolli walk and stetcher for that matter but I don't think we need to dump our young players for cap space.

Thats a fair point and if it makes sense for you guys then thats the avenue to go. I just checked quickly on cap friendly about buyout numbers and cap hit for next year

sven: 1.77 mill (so savings of about half a mill)
sutter: it was easier to check since he isnt buried a savings of 2.33 mill
beagle : about 1.6 mill savings
rousell: 1.77 savings
pearson: 2.57 savings

so pearson and sutter probably make the most sense. It does mess with your long term flexibility if we do actually have a flat cap for year 2 and 3

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Benning created the seriousness of our coming cap crunch, so he’s going to have to do serious things to resolve it. Using young players, who we have more of at their position, makes logical sense.
We have Marky, so do we really need Demko?
We have Hoglander and Pods coming (and Lind) so do we need Jake?
We have Rathbone, so do we need Juiolevi?
Benning could clear Loui, Sutter, and Baer. Yes it costs us three young players, but it clears 14 million in cap. That cap room has huge value.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Benning created the seriousness of our coming cap crunch, so he’s going to have to do serious things to resolve it. Using young players, who we have more of at their position, makes logical sense.
Benning could clear Loui, Sutter, and Baer. Yes it costs us three young players, but it clears 14 million in cap. That cap room has huge value.
I tend to agree with most of what you said... at the end of the day it’s like playing a game of “would you rather”... sure it’s not ideal but can beat the alternative. I just cannot envision a way to “ride this out” with best case scenario down the road. You take a huge risk of messing up the skill and chemistry we have at this point to just stand pat now. Standing pat was something we should’ve done the last off season or 2!

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
A couple things.
First off. You don’t actually have a Markstrom locked up beyond this season. You can’t move Demko until you know what’s happening on that front

Second. It’s easy to talk about moving those albatross contracts by adding a young player, but we’re in a flat cap environment. It’ll be more difficult to find a trading partner to take those contracts than ever before.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
A couple things.
First off. You don’t actually have a Markstrom locked up beyond this season. You can’t move Demko until you know what’s happening on that front

Second. It’s easy to talk about moving those albatross contracts by adding a young player, but we’re in a flat cap environment. It’ll be more difficult to find a trading partner to take those contracts than ever before.
Agreed.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Thats a fair point and if it makes sense for you guys then thats the avenue to go. I just checked quickly on cap friendly about buyout numbers and cap hit for next year

sven: 1.77 mill (so savings of about half a mill)
sutter: it was easier to check since he isnt buried a savings of 2.33 mill
beagle : about 1.6 mill savings
rousell: 1.77 savings
pearson: 2.57 savings

so pearson and sutter probably make the most sense. It does mess with your long term flexibility if we do actually have a flat cap for year 2 and 3

Why on earth are we buying out Pearson? Dude has been a perfect fit with Horvat and would have put up 25 goals and 60 points had the season not ended. At under $4 mill, that is a great deal.

Sutter and Rousell have value for many teams. If you offer them up for a late pick, you will have takers for sure. Worst case you add a B level prospect.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think if we need cap then buying out Beagle and Russell along with letting tofolli and stetcher walk brings us to about the same level we started out at last year and with the improvement of our young core we should be better bu I'm sure not seeing a need to go all willy nilly and start dumping our young core when we dont really have to.

I'm fine keeping Roussel, and even Beagle, but we can buy out Sutter (he's worth about 2 million this year, saving almost 2.5, and 1.16 the following year), bury Baertschi if we can't negotiate a trade or mutual walking away, and if we're talking about walking Toffoli, we're back where we were, but with fewer years on the buyouts. There are a lot of ways we COULD go, but I mean...if we can move Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Baertschi and some of the other poor uses of cap, all the better (I still see Roussel as a positive contributor, even if he is overpaid).

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
All this talk about using players as sweeteners is premature.
The two hardest contracts to move LE and Baer are the ones that I think we see off the books.
I know that certain people here despise Benning and will look for any means to shit on him but the reality for LE is walk away maybe play in Europe or an NHL team closer to Dallas and try to win a gold with team Sweden, or even take a job with the Nucks internally. Or he can play in Utica riding the bus for 2 years to collect 5 million when he's made what 70 million over his career?
When it comes to Baer, the fact he opted out tells me his time is done here and if he wants any chance to get a contract for 21-22 hes going to need a better option then playing in Utica.
That's 9.5 million saved right there more then enough to sign TT, Marky and Tanev. Letting Stech, Fanta and Motte walk is another 4-5 million. Rouselle, Sutter and Beagle could all be moved with at worse some retention. Anyone who thinks there are no team's that would sign those 3 as free agents, is either a Benning hater or is just nieve.
All in all, there are so many options to clear the extra 8-9 million, any talk of Benning being forced to trade high picks or prospects is more of a narrative that the Benning haters spout because well lets face it, hes gotten much better at trades and has managed to sign some team-friendly contracts like the Edler, Myers and Boeser contracts who with the formers both had options for more term or money.

What I find funny is how haters continue actively bitch about Benning when the fact is the moves he made like Sutter Beagle and Rouselle were brought in to be placeholders and allow our young kids to be insulated and not rushed. Plus we have 70 million coming off the books over the next 3 seasons that will be replaced internally, allowing flexibility to not only lock up the core but potentially add pieces as needed.
Any move that is made wont be because we have to get under the cap, it will be dealing from a position of strength, not desperation.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The two hardest contracts to move LE and Baer are the ones that I think we see off the books.
I know that certain people here despise Benning and will look for any means to shit on him but the reality for LE is walk away maybe play in Europe or an NHL team closer to Dallas and try to win a gold with team Sweden, or even take a job with the Nucks internally. Or he can play in Utica riding the bus for 2 years to collect 5 million when he's made what 70 million over his career?
When it comes to Baer, the fact he opted out tells me his time is done here and if he wants any chance to get a contract for 21-22 hes going to need a better option then playing in Utica.
That's 9.5 million saved right there more then enough to sign TT, Marky and Tanev. Letting Stech, Fanta and Motte walk is another 4-5 million. Rouselle, Sutter and Beagle could all be moved with at worse some retention. Anyone who thinks there are no team's that would sign those 3 as free agents, is either a Benning hater or is just nieve.
All in all, there are so many options to clear the extra 8-9 million, any talk of Benning being forced to trade high picks or prospects is more of a narrative that the Benning haters spout because well lets face it, hes gotten much better at trades and has managed to sign some team-friendly contracts like the Edler, Myers and Boeser contracts who with the formers both had options for more term or money.

What I find funny is how haters continue actively bitch about Benning when the fact is the moves he made like Sutter Beagle and Rouselle were brought in to be placeholders and allow our young kids to be insulated and not rushed. Plus we have 70 million coming off the books over the next 3 seasons that will be replaced internally, allowing flexibility to not only lock up the core but potentially add pieces as needed.
Any move that is made wont be because we have to get under the cap, it will be dealing from a position of strength, not desperation.
You make some good points, but your original premise to save cap next season is based in hope, and not reality. There is no indication Loui and Baer will opt out if their contracts, whether through retirement or any other way.
Those two will need sweetener to be cleared from the books in trade, which is why I suggested: Demko, Virtanen, and Juiolevi as potential guys to be sweetener. In the Vancouver roster they are (perhaps?) redundant, but other teams might covet them.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
A couple things.

I stated my thoughts on why both LE and Baer will be off the books next season so I won't go into that but there are no albatross contracts on this team.
Sutter at 2.5- 3 million for one year, is easily tradable. Beagle at 2.5-3 million for 2 seasons is also easily moveable. Rousell at 3 million again for 2 seasons is easily moveable.
You wanna talk about albatross contracts, how bout EK at over 11 million for the next 7 years, or Taveres at 11 million for the next 6, Bob at 10 million for 7 years, Benn, Seguin, those are what I would define as albatross. A year of Sutter, or 2 years of Beagle or Rouselle who really are only slightly overpaid and off the books in 2 years don't count FFS.
There are a lot of teams that would be better with Sutter and Beagle in their bottom six, especially if they come in with 1.5-2 million knocked off their contracts. Rousell was damn good before he tore up his knee and is the type of player that is built for the antics of playoffs.
I get it tho, Benning haters are running out of ammo since he's gotten much better at trades and has shown the ability to negotiate fair deals like Edler, Boeser, and Horvat. Hell signing Myers to a five year deal with hardly a raise when he was the most sought after RHD last July and was rumoured to have better deals on the table.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
You make some good points, but your original premise to save cap next season is based in hope, and not reality. There is no indication Loui and Baer will opt out if their contracts, whether through retirement or any other way.
Those two will need sweetener to be cleared from the books in trade, which is why I suggested: Demko, Virtanen, and Juiolevi as potential guys to be sweetener. In the Vancouver roster they are (perhaps?) redundant, but other teams might covet them.
Your right I am basing it on a hope but you have to admit all things being equal it's just as likely come to pass, especially LE.
I know guys like Sutter and Beagle are overpaid but given what they were brought in to do like being mentors and allowing the kids to develop properly was worth it.
I guess my way of thinking is that if all 3 of Sutter, Beagle and Rousell were UFAs, they would all have contracts offered to them.
Do people really think these guys would be playing overseas if they were free agents?
I think any of those 3, with 1.5-2 million retention are much better options for lots of teams based on their currrent rosters. Not all teams are ready for their prospects to take over like we have here, lots of teams lack a 3rd line or 4th line centre that can be relied on to play solid D and PK duties.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Why would teams trade for Demko when there's the expansion draft coming up. No point if given up assets for a player that they could end up losing for nothing. Unless said team plans on playing Demko as a starter thus protecting him, there really isn't much value for a goalie until after the draft.

Depends on the team. Demko is now 24 with two full years starting in the AHL and a year as an NHL backup, his development is on track and he's a prime candidate to try him as a starter. If you're a team like San Jose or Ottawa who needs a goalie now, he could be a prime choice that's actually available now.

While there are plenty of starting goalies in the NHL there's always a few teams on the fringes and when you get stuck in that rut it can take several seasons to actually climb out of it. While there may be half a dozen guys available to try at any given point, at least half will probably bust if you make them your starter and then you're back to square 1. In my opinion if you're a GM in this position you're best off paying the price for the guy you think is the best of the bunch rather than shopping for the cheapest bargain. As a Canuck fan I'd like to think Demko is the former, but that may not be the case for a team needing the goalie. If you're the Canucks management though that's what you should believe too and that's the leverage you have.

And by paying the price I'm not talking about giving up a top prospect or high 1st or anything, but try to aim for value somewhere in the 25-40 draft range. Demko was a 36th overall pick and he's done well enough that if the Canucks want to trade him now it's not unreasonable to expect to recoup that value.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Those two will need sweetener to be cleared from the books in trade, which is why I suggested: Demko, Virtanen, and Juiolevi as potential guys to be sweetener. In the Vancouver roster ,they are (perhaps?) redundant, but other teams might covet them.
I think trading Jake may be done at some point but not as a sweetener but because he may end up redundant with Podz and Hog and only if he breaks out and is moved for another piece. As for Joulevi, he's the hill I guess I'll die on. I have always liked the pick and him being injured is the only reason he's not another feather in Benning's cap.
Even if everything turns to shit and we're stuck with every contract we don't want, it's not like we will be forced to do something, considering we still have 17 mill in cap and letting Tanev and Stech walk would be better than losing Jake and Joulevi. TT and Marky should be the top priority and walking away from Tanev and Stech accomplishes that goal. Just my two cents anyway.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

Neither Eriksson or Baertschi will walk away. Especially now. In the flat cap world neither of them will come close to replacing the salaries they’re owed by Vancouver. Not only that, but if they’re in the minors their salaries aren’t subject to escrow. So they’ll literally make 20% more in the minors. That’s assuming Vancouver sends Eriksson down. Which is by no means guaranteed. (A good portion of fans thought it would happen in October and it never did)

Also, don’t assume he’s done just because Baertschi opted out. Maybe he doesn’t believe he’d get a fair shake to play under Green and doesn’t want to go through a the hassle of getting into the bubble and being away from his family just to sit in the press box. Alzner in Montreal opted out and nobody thinks he’s about to terminate his contract.

Right now the idea of magically being rid of those two contracts is wishful thinking. Nothing more

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Why on earth are we buying out Pearson? Dude has been a perfect fit with Horvat and would have put up 25 goals and 60 points had the season not ended. At under $4 mill, that is a great deal.

Sutter and Rousell have value for many teams. If you offer them up for a late pick, you will have takers for sure. Worst case you add a B level prospect.

wasnt advocating buyouts and honestly a bit shocked pearson was on pace for that many points lmao

I was suggesting buyouts based off the post i quoted that suggested buying players out for flexibility. The post only suggested sutter and baertschi but combined they only give you about 2.8 million in savings while kind of messing with your long term cap situation which is more significant this offseason due to potential flat cap for year 2 and 3

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Maybe Markstrom walks as a UFA, and the Canucks promote Demko to their starter. Then they sign an older guy as his backup for 1 million.
Clears a lot of cap room.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Willing to discuss taking a package of Eriksson and Demko together?

Otherwise, we're still talking market value.
I think Loui could be a Dev not sure Demko would be the ask. My problem with him would be him or Blackwood exposed in the Seattle draft. I don't like either of those options. I see other places where to move Loui you guys give up your '21 first, which I cannot see! No 1sts 2 yrs in a row? Is it that bad in Van? Sutter and Sven were also things I saw that we might take if the pkg contained something good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad