DeMelo traded to WPG for 2020 3rd

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Why are you referring to when he was traded from San Jose again? That has absolutely no bearing on his current value. He wasnt qualified on his restricted free agency contract with San Jose he was signed as a UFA. Who was wrong about what exactly.... He was a throw in... His game has evolved over the last two years.

My crew? WTF are you talking about? You mean the majority of people that have evaluated the trade. Like you know the over 2000 people that voted on TSN unless they are my crew too?.... All the analyst are they part of 'my crew'.

Can you bring anything tangible to the equasion here? Any in depth analysis other than going against the grain then make sarcastic remarks?

I think Bert what has been tangibly brought to this discussion is that the most connected insiders in the game have tweeted that in their conversations around the league they turned up that a 2nd wasn't achievable. That's clear. LeBrun and Dreger tweeted that.

Those tweets should pretty much be it. DeMelo was worth a 3rd. We got a 3rd. Close thread.

Reactions: GCK

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
At the end of the day...man is this getting overblown

The NHL is a business

Dylan is in the DeMelo business. Pierre is in the Senators business

Nothing obligates a player to stay when they have earned the right to hit UFA. And nothing obligates a GM to talk contract or informally / formally exchange terms

If Dorion didn't want the guy beyond this year, why would he engage in contract negotiations? The ONLY logical assumption here is PD didn't engage in negotiations because he has no interest in the player. And for that matter, if you've been listening to the limited sound bites over the past 6 weeks he's consistently said they know who they want to talk contract with.

So many guys bitch about the lack of a plan. In this instance the plan seems quite clear

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Kinda odd decision to trade him for so little, and not even engaging in contract talks, when he wanted to stay considering the coach went out of his way to mention that Demelo was probably the most underrated player on the team about 2 months ago.

Reactions: DrEasy

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
If you think Demelo is going to be a #5 defenseman for the next 4 years I don't know why you don't offer a contract at that price/term.

My guess is that they want to keep Boro and are stuck with Zaitsev so don't think they can afford another D in addition to Chabot/Brannstrom/Wolanin.

I'd rather Demelo than Boro/Zaitsev personally.

I don't see why you'd take on Zaitsev at big $ to get Brown when you then just trade Pageau who is better than Brown.

I'd rather just re-sign Demelo and Pageau and have nothing to do with Zaitsev.

Anyways, not a make or break deal, but I often don't see the reasoning behind Dorion's moves.
Demelo's usage in Ottawa has probably inflated his salary expectations. We probably viewed him as an average team's #5 and offered him the appropriate money for that.

Unless Winnipeg makes the playoffs and Demelo plays like a beast, I think he's going to end up disappointed in free agency and he'll take short term deal like Dzingel before he gets offered a substantial longterm deal.

Reactions: Larionov

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Kinda odd decision to trade him for so little, and not even engaging in contract talks, when he wanted to stay considering the coach went out of his way to mention that Demelo was probably the most underrated player on the team about 2 months ago.

Not really an odd decision if the GM didn’t want him next year.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Demelo's usage in Ottawa has probably inflated his salary expectations. We probably viewed him as an average team's #5 and offered him the appropriate money for that.

Unless Winnipeg makes the playoffs and Demelo plays like a beast, I think he's going to end up disappointed in free agency and he'll take short term deal like Dzingel before he gets offered a substantial longterm deal.

There's a good chance that you are right that he could get Dzingeled. If term is what matters most to him, though, he might be able to get four years out of someone at a lower AAV. He only made sense to us on a two year deal at most, though, and that wasn't going to fly for him or his agent...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
But he’s fine with spending like 9 million on hainsey and Zaitsev.
Well that’s misleading. Dorion is spending 5M on Zaitsev and Hainsey this year. I think it’s clear the coach and GM feel Zaitsev is the superior player. I personally wanted to keep Demelo, especially on a 3 year or less term.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
At the end of the day...man is this getting overblown

The NHL is a business

Dylan is in the DeMelo business. Pierre is in the Senators business

Nothing obligates a player to stay when they have earned the right to hit UFA. And nothing obligates a GM to talk contract or informally / formally exchange terms

If Dorion didn't want the guy beyond this year, why would he engage in contract negotiations? The ONLY logical assumption here is PD didn't engage in negotiations because he has no interest in the player. And for that matter, if you've been listening to the limited sound bites over the past 6 weeks he's consistently said they know who they want to talk contract with.

So many guys bitch about the lack of a plan. In this instance the plan seems quite clear
yes the plan to not even entertain talking to demelo and trading him away cheaply I dont like that particular plan... hence, I am here ona discussion board voicing this?

in your world the title of every thread here would be "this was business, Pierre do business, thread locked"

Reactions: Gesus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well that’s misleading. Dorion is spending 5M on Zaitsev and Hainsey this year. I think it’s clear the coach and GM feel Zaitsev is the superior player. I personally wanted to keep Demelo, especially on a 3 year or less term.
is it really? I thought Zaitsev was 4.5 and hainsey 3?

also yeah, coach and gm love Zaitsev and hainsey over demelo… THAT is thr worrisome part. that's the scary thing.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think Bert what has been tangibly brought to this discussion is that the most connected insiders in the game have tweeted that in their conversations around the league they turned up that a 2nd wasn't achievable. That's clear. LeBrun and Dreger tweeted that.

Those tweets should pretty much be it. DeMelo was worth a 3rd. We got a 3rd. Close thread.
I think we all accept the return. demelo was good for us with his value seen as not much across the league. IT WAS THE CHOICE TO NOT EVEN TALK TO HIM AND SELL HIM INDICATING WE DONT THINK HE IS VERY GOOD that is worrisome.

Reactions: bert

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The oddity is exactly that.

Do you know for sure what the summer plans are?

Maybe our expectations as a fanbase have been set so low that we now think DeMelo is a top d-man. He was adequate, he did nothing in particular that stood out and was almost invisible for most games (not necessarily in a bad way).

If Dorion wants to actually make the Senators competitive, he might be thinking bigger and I would not be surprised if we made an attempt at a better UFA defenseman in the summer; if I recall, the "plan" was to start being more competitive next season and then aim for playoffs the following year.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Maybe our expectations as a fanbase have been set so low that we now think DeMelo is a top d-man. He was adequate, he did nothing in particular that stood out and was almost invisible for most games (not necessarily in a bad way).

If Dorion wants to actually make the Senators competitive, he might be thinking bigger and I would not be surprised if we made an attempt at a better UFA defenseman in the summer; if I recall, the "plan" was to start being more competitive next season and then aim for playoffs the following year.
If the summer plans include exploring a Ron-Old Hainsey extension, as reported by multiple sources, and not even having a discussion with the DeMelo camp this we are in trouble.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
also I love how people say "yall wanted a plan?! its crystal clear!" uhh dorion said two weeks ago hes not trading the guys for picks and prospects and then he went out and traded the ONLY decent piece outside of pageau for a MID ROUND PICK lmao. yeah, dorion is all about laying out a plan and executing it with max efficiency

Reactions: bert

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

dude. cmon. you know deep down, this is not the truth.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think we all accept the return. demelo was good for us with his value seen as not much across the league. IT WAS THE CHOICE TO NOT EVEN TALK TO HIM AND SELL HIM INDICATING WE DONT THINK HE IS VERY GOOD that is worrisome.

How does that change anything other than make you feel better and less emotional about the situation? It is completely irrelevant whether Dorion participated in contract talks or not if the end game was to trade DeMelo anyway.

Is this a respect thing? I am trying to understand your position, honestly, maybe you could clarify?

If the summer plans include exploring a Ron-Old Hainsey extension, as reported by multiple sources, and not even having a discussion with the DeMelo camp this we are in trouble.

What sources have said that? Unless they plan on keeping him around as a 7th defenseman and mentor to the young players, I do not see him being re-signed.

I do recall a similar situation with Luke Richardson where he was kept around way after his expiration date only to be given a role with management soon after he retired; could be a similar situation with Hainsey? He is a very well spoken player and I always enjoy his interviews, he practically sounds like a coach.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
“DeMelo confirmed the media reports from earlier this week that there had been no tangible or concrete contract offer from the Senators submitted to his camp at any point over the past few months.”

I’m not sure if it’s a reading comprehension issue, but this quote doesn’t mean what you seem to be arguing it means. Just because a “concrete contract offer” wasn’t made, doesn’t mean that there weren’t talks. In fact, the use of the word “concrete” would indicate that conversation did indeed occur, it just never ended in a formalized contract offer of any kind.

This would indicate that the team decided early that they were going to move on from DeMelo. With the addition of Wolanin, and whatever options become available in he summer, it was probably a wise decision to not overpay in money or term for a guy who is more of a bottom pairing guy on most teams, and who really didn’t bring anything special to the table.

A nice 3rd rounder to add to the pile for a guy they decided not to bring back.

You are out to lunch. He said they didnt offer him a contract. You are somehow trying to spin it as they did. It didnt happen thats what the argument was. Dont try and turn this into something it isnt.

Spot on. But whatever, some around here will continue to twist reality to fit their narrative. In their campaign of lies and disinformation.

Unbelievable. You are quoting someone that literally said 'might'. How is anything spot on when its open to conjecture. When I provide direct quotes and links. I am the one twisting reality. Truly mind blowing.

“When you see Pierre is calling at this time of the year when there have been no contract negotiations, I figured I was getting dealt,”

I'd assume that was the quote he was referencing

Yeah.... But just like i predicted both posters didnt listen and kept arguing. Hence my previous comment of neither of the actually watching the videos or reading the article. Another example of Ice-Tray bringing nothing to the table but blind arguments to gas light any discussion away from any realm of reality.

Yup, but after that quote it seems to be clarified into no concrete offers being bandied back and forth, not that PD never spoke to DeMelos agent at all, which seems to be what Bert is trying to argue.

NO I ARGUED THAT THEY DIDNT MAKE AN OFFER ITS RIGHT IN MY POST THE ONE YOU QUOTED.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
What sources have said that? Unless they plan on keeping him around as a 7th defenseman and mentor to the young players, I do not see him being re-signed.

I do recall a similar situation with Luke Richardson where he was kept around way after his expiration date only to be given a role with management soon after he retired; could be a similar situation with Hainsey? He is a very well spoken player and I always enjoy his interviews, he practically sounds like a coach.
Garrioch, Lebrun, etc. Im not looking this up, but it has definitely been said. I am pretty sure Simmer made mention of it this morning on the radio too. Keeping him around makes no sense.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Garrioch, Lebrun, etc. Im not looking this up, but it has definitely been said. I am pretty sure Simmer made mention of it this morning on the radio too. Keeping him around makes no sense.

Even if the goal is to use him in a more managerial role? Honestly I do not see a problem with this --yet-- unless they sign him to use as one of the 6 defenders for next year.

If he is kept around for his leadership and veteran experience and eventually transitioned to a coaching position, then we are really stressing over nothing here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Thats not what was being discussed at this point no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad